• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New piece (Air for strings)

Share/Bookmark

New piece (Air for strings)

Hi all, after a little break I have posted a new piece on my webspace.

Go here: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/air1.mp3

All comments, critiques, revenges etc. are welcomed. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Btw. I used Grand-Detace patches in Gos Lite for Cello & Bass. For violin 1 & 2 and violo I used the vibrato patches.

Re: New piece (Air for strings)

I think it is well done. For constructive criticism, I would say that I enjoyed from 1:10 onward the best. It had a better arrangement than the pre 1:10 section. The 1st violins seem to be mixed too far infront of everything else, and the basses seem too far back. That is just a mixing opinion though. NOthing wrong with it, but everyone would mix a little differnt than the next.

thanks jkerr! Yes, I\'m still learning the mixing art - can\'t wait until I can mix like, for example, Simon Ravn etc. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The 1st & 2nd violins play the melody together, maybe that\'s the reason why it\'s so in front?

Again thanks for your input. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Falcon,

I\'m listening now, very Baroque. I like the music, it\'s very nice.

I\'m curious what the intent of the piece is. If the intent was a heavy moment of a movie score I might go for something less complex melodically. Not being a film score guy I still believe there\'re moments when this music would be appropriate. Also I don\'t understand why you\'d sacrifice the 2nd violins to bolster the melody when I believe they may be better used to enhance the harmony. Finally, if your intent was concert music then a more contemporary approach may prove more appropriate.

YMMV.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

Falcon1-

Fine composition-great sound!

I listened first on sony 7506 headphones, then my studio Event 20/20 Bas\'s. My conclusion was that your mix gave me a front row seat- positioned slightly to the right of the conductor\'s podium (just in front of the principal cellist-she\'s younger than I thought!)

I guess you could say I thought the violin section was a bit more distant(!) than the basses, but that\'s the seat you put me in.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
    Carl

Thanks for your kind words!

pantonality, I really didn\'t sacrifice anything because I composed this piece for three parts. So the top voice is doubled and also the bottom voice. No, I didn\'t have movie score in mind when I wrote this piece - rather something which could be used in services in churches. (Organ version is available [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

carlmsmith, I\'m very proud of my young principal cellist - she is very sexy don\'t you think? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening!

The music sounds nice. The performance sounds artificial. I would suggest using more articulations. Some portato and staccto would be a good idea. Try some of the gran detache patches for the violins too. A solo violin layered would help the top voice.
    I don\'t think you need to use the first and second violins together. I think one section is enough.
    I hope the celli and basses are doubled in octaves. I could not tell in the recording.

Hi Falcon,
    Nice piece. I still enjoy your writing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think you have really dialed in your mixing. Sounds good to me. As far as structure goes, it fits very well to church service music.
    It gives off a nice feeling of comfort and grace .
    If I might make one suggestion, the trill right at the end sounds a \"little\" fake. ( I emphasize little .) I\'m not sure if there is a way to smooth it out. Did you use an actual trill sample or just write the trill in notation form? If you used a trill sample it seems that the timing doesn\'t fit or maybe it would be better as a whole step up trill rather than a half step. Of course I\'m not sure if you were going for the minor sound in order to resolve to major.
    I really can\'t pin point it. Just trying to give some suggestions rather than criticism.

On the very positive side, the typical casual listener would not easily discern this work from a live orchestra.
    Good job ! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

esperlad, yea I\'m still working the programming thing - I also doesn\'t have the advanced version of GOS, so articulations are somewhat limited.
    I don\'t have a solo-violin. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Of course celli and basses are doubled in octaves, maybe I did put too much emphasis on the cello?

88fingers, hope you keep enjoying my writing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Well I hope that I\'m getting better at mixing etc. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yes, the trill at the end is an actual trill sample. I would like to have it slower but I think it is better than no trill. It\'s possible that whole step trill would work better, will try that.

Thanks for listening and thanks for your comments!

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Thanks for your kind words!

pantonality, I really didn\'t sacrifice anything because I composed this piece for three parts. So the top voice is doubled and also the bottom voice. No, I didn\'t have movie score in mind when I wrote this piece - rather something which could be used in services in churches. (Organ version is available [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

carlmsmith, I\'m very proud of my young principal cellist - she is very sexy don\'t you think? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">BE CAREFUL, you are Talking about my SISTER..... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ..

Jejeje, Good Work Good Sound.

Go Back to forum