• Register
  • Help

Topic: In Keeping with the Nostalgia - New Years Wish Remake

Share/Bookmark

In Keeping with the Nostalgia - New Years Wish Remake

I did an update on my 2010 New Year's Wish song. This is realized with my new found DAW ability.

Instruments Used:

Garritan

GPO4 Piano
    GPO4 Strings
    JaBB Guitar
    JaBB Fretless Bass

Sonar

SessionDrummer

Live

Me on Trumpet - Schilke (1965 - Vintage)

Here is the remake of A New Year's Wish

May you be blessed with all the best in this New Year,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: In Keeping with the Nostalgia - New Years Wish Remake

Hello again, Bill - I think we're the only folks looking in on the Forum so far this year!

There's something happening in your recording that you probably got used to and started tuning out as you worked - There's a distinct crackling interfering with the music. It's prominent especially in the first half, then is heard less prominently and less often in the second half.

I'm pretty sure the trouble originates from your trumpet track. During the instrumental break from 1:50 to 2:03, the crackling isn't heard, but it comes back in with the trumpet.

I can't be sure what happened, but maybe the trumpet was recorded too hot, because the crackling sounds like a pretty much constant clipping. Then when you mixed the track in with the MIDI, lowering the volume, of course the damage was still in the track.

Why don't you solo the trumpet track and have a listen? If the crackling isn't there when soloing, then the distortion is coming in someplace in the signal flow, in a bus, in a reverb plug-in, somewhere - And if so, that's certainly easier to fix than a damaged raw track!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    There's something happening in your recording that you probably got used to and started tuning out as you worked - There's a distinct crackling interfering with the music. It's prominent especially in the first half, then is heard less prominently and less often in the second half.

I'm pretty sure the trouble originates from your trumpet track. During the instrumental break from 1:50 to 2:03, the crackling isn't heard, but it comes back in with the trumpet.

I can't be sure what happened, but maybe the trumpet was recorded too hot, because the crackling sounds like a pretty much constant clipping. Then when you mixed the track in with the MIDI, lowering the volume, of course the damage was still in the track.

Why don't you solo the trumpet track and have a listen? If the crackling isn't there when soloing, then the distortion is coming in someplace in the signal flow, in a bus, in a reverb plug-in, somewhere - And if so, that's certainly easier to fix than a damaged raw track!

Randy
    Thanks Randy, I had a terrible time tracking that. I will try your suggestions. I couldn't get it out. I might have to re-record the trumpet (he always does blow to loud - blowhard!)

I may have had the mic levels too high. Can't do anything about that after it's recorded, so, if that's the case, back to the studio. I might have to pay the guy again to play the tune...

I will try your suggestions first.

Thanks again,
    Bill

P.S. I have new hearing aids which have been driving me crazy because they crackle too. I wasn't sure if it was my ears, or the recording. Now I know what Beethoven felt like.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Thanks Randy, I had a terrible time tracking that...
    Ah, OK, so my feedback wasn't a big shock, that's good to hear, Bill. Recording a loud instrument like a trumpet is really tough. Multiple tests with different distances from the mike, playing back to check - could take quite awhile to find the right distance and recording level for your audio device.

It's a drag that you may need to re-record your solo again, though. If you'd like to send me just the trumpet track, no FX, I could see if I could filter out the crackling to an acceptable degree. It's vaguely possible things could be rectified adequately in Sound Forge.

If you want to do that, just upload the track to Box and send me the link through my email found under my name in this post. It wouldn't take me long to experiment with the track, and I have a window of opportunity this afternoon.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It's a drag that you may need to re-record your solo again, though. If you'd like to send me just the trumpet track, no FX, I could see if I could filter out the crackling to an acceptable degree. It's vaguely possible things could be rectified adequately in Sound Forge.

If you want to do that, just upload the track to Box and send me the link through my email found under my name in this post. It wouldn't take me long to experiment with the track, and I have a window of opportunity this afternoon.

Randy

I really appreciate the offer, got your message, but I already rehired the guy to come and re-record the tune. This one should sound a bit better. (Didn't know I'd have a playing gig on New Year's Day - alas I don't pay much, so I will probably die a starving artist...

Thanks again. It was the track and it was over-powered. I play music softly here at home and it is not always possible to hear the problems unless you boost the sound.

A crackle filter, what with they think of next. But I guess it makes since because once you have paid musicians in to record and they leave, and now a track is messy - ouch. Need tools for everything.

Best to you and yours this New Years.
    Bill

P.S. here is the new file too compare. New Year's Wish #2 - no crackle

Challenge #10 Winner

From a trumpet player to another trumpet player, "I enjoyed that playing, man!"
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I really appreciate the offer, got your message, but I already rehired the guy to come and re-record the tune...
    hehe--Cool. And wow-- that sure was fast work! The new recording is crackle-free, so now Rodney and everyone else can enjoy your performance without intrusion. It sounds very nice.

The crackle removal plug-in I used on that test I sent you is part of Sony's noise reduction system intended primarily for sprucing up digital transfers from vinyl. But the tools work on any sound source, so I've used them quite a few times when stray glitches creep into tracks that are otherwise resistant to being fixed.

Here's a note, Bill, in the Sonar department, since I know you've been getting up to speed with that. Your new MP3, just like the original version, has a 3 second gap of silence at the beginning. My guess is that you have a blank measure of count in. When you export your 2-track mix down, what you need to do is select the portion of the time line you want. You just sweep through the time line to include the actual project, leaving off dead air at the beginning or at the end. Then the export will be exactly as intended. The alternative is to ahead and export everything, silence + music, but then slice off the dead air in an audio editor like Audacity or Sound Forge.

Congrats on the new recording!

Randy

Thanks for the listen Rodney. A lot of years of practice went into developing my lip.

Randy, you offer great incentives to get better.

Thanks all!
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

Thanks for this great trumpet tune. The second version is so much better (no crackle and more space - more distant recording?) I really enjoyed it on the second day of the year.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for this great trumpet tune. The second version is so much better (no crackle and more space - more distant recording?) I really enjoyed it on the second day of the year.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Max
    Thank you Max and the same to you and your family!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum