• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Recommend a good brass library?

Share/Bookmark

Recommend a good brass library?

OK, I need a good brass library..but cannot afford DDBE. I have my eye on QL Brass. I already have SAM Horns, so I\'m set there..but I need a nice, rich trumpet section..and some really good bones & bass bones. Of course, the library should use the mod wheel for dynamics, and I need plenty of articulations (staccato, glissandos, etc.). The QLB mp3 demo on EastWest sounds pretty nice.

But money is limited (as usual) so I\'m either getting a brass library, QLRI, or LOP. I have no decent percussion except for AO.. and I\'m not really impressed with its quality in the percussion arena. As far as QLRI, I\'m mostly just drooling over the duduk and pipes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But on a practical level, I really do need either LOP or a brass library..so.. comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Recommend a good brass library?

I\'m in a similar boat.

Although I already own LOP, RI, and SAM Horns I will be in the market for the full meal deal as far as brass is concerned. I\'m saving up for either DDBE or Kirk Hunter\'s set.

My advice would be to go with the LOP right now if you\'re interested in building up your orchestral sounds first. You\'ll always need good percussion, and LOP does a nice job. RI is also a great library, but you\'ll have to prioritize your need for orchestral sounds vs. ethnic. From the demos I\'ve heard, the new generation of brass libraries are really a great improvement over some of the older brass libraries, so I personally don\'t have much interest in the QL Brass (however, the upcoming QL orchestra is a different matter - I\'m sure that brass will be fantastic).

My attitude with purchasing giga samples has always been that I\'m not going to buy libraries that don\'t convince me just to fill in gaps, I\'d rather save up some cash for a while and get a library that will really sell the illusion. Every $100 I might spend on a cheap library translates to me being another $100 away from getting a library with which I\'ll be happy.

if its orchestral brass....

I wouldn\'t recommend QLB in light of the new EWQLSO on the horizon. I think QLB is quite usable, its just that, if I were in your boat, I\'d wait for EWQLSO.

LOP is definitely 20 times better than AO\'s percussion. So if you\'re in dire need of percussion, this minute get it. Otherwise consider waiting, again, to see what VSL and QLSO offer up. Being this close to NAMM and release of so much new stuff, I think it\'d be unwise to throw your money away this minute.

There\'s just too much on the horizon, both announced and unannounced stuff.

with all that said, however, if you\'re looking for something that will allow you to add some pop/big band/mancini-esque stuff, on top of giving you some usefull orchestral brass stuff, QLB is the library I\'d choose. Nothing else out there that gives you as many instrument options in brass/woods(sax) as QLB for its price.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Nothing else out there that gives you as many instrument options in brass/woods(sax) as QLB for its price.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Looks like QLB is $400, Kirk Hunter\'s new set is $500.. I just got mine today. As soon as I finish loading the 10 DVD\'s worth of sounds, I\'ll let you know what I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    if its orchestral brass....

I wouldn\'t recommend QLB in light of the new EWQLSO on the horizon. I think QLB is quite usable, its just that, if I were in your boat, I\'d wait for EWQLSO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">QLSO is a bit out of my price range [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I doubt it would be worth it anyway.. I already have GOS (Lite), SAM Horns, VOTA, AO, and soon will have LOP. It seems to me to be a waste to go buy a full orchestra set when I\'ve just spent over $1200 on sounds in the past 3-4 months. If only we could sell our samples on eBay, then maybe I could justify getting QLSO. But as far as I\'m aware, it is prohibited to do so.

PS: I keep hearing about Kirk Hunter samples.. where can I find these? I went to www.kirkhunterstudios.com but it did not mention his brass library, and the \"Other Products\" link is broken.

Finally you\'res seeing some sense, Sam and getting a practical brass library rather than the fancy QLRI. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I\'m not gonna reccomend DDSB (for once) \'cos the VSL is supposed to be out now and for the brass AND woodwind set its about the same as DDBE. DDBE is ensembles anyway which is not so much use on its own as 70% of all brass parts are choral. If you purchased both DDBE and DDSB you would be ok but that\'s twice the price and you\'re not getting woodwinds as well like the VSL. Is it me or are sample libraries getting cheaper and cheaper?

The problem is is where has VSL got to? It was supposed to be released in November, then they said something like the second week of December. All I can see now is that it says \'December\'. I wonder when its actually going to appear...

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    QLSO is a bit out of my price range [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I doubt it would be worth it anyway.. I already have GOS (Lite), SAM Horns, VOTA, AO, and soon will have LOP. It seems to me to be a waste to go buy a full orchestra set when I\'ve just spent over $1200 on sounds in the past 3-4 months. If only we could sell our samples on eBay, then maybe I could justify getting QLSO. But as far as I\'m aware, it is prohibited to do so.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why would you want to sell you samples? Are you talking about the ones you just bought upon our reccomendation? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The QLSO (EWSO?) will be available in separate sections, as will the VSL so they should probably be about the same price as other brass libraries.

Originally posted by SOD213:
    Looks like QLB is $400, Kirk Hunter\'s new set is $500.. I just got mine today. As soon as I finish loading the 10 DVD\'s worth of sounds, I\'ll let you know what I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haven\'t delved into it too deeply (33GB is a LOT of samples) but I have to say that I\'ve finished two tracks today so far that all I needed was some good brass to finish off. Looks like I\'ll make my christmas presents on time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Great sounds, great value!! THANKS KIRK!

Originally posted by SOD213:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by SOD213:
    Looks like QLB is $400, Kirk Hunter\'s new set is $500.. I just got mine today. As soon as I finish loading the 10 DVD\'s worth of sounds, I\'ll let you know what I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haven\'t delved into it too deeply (33GB is a LOT of samples) but I have to say that I\'ve finished two tracks today so far that all I needed was some good brass to finish off. Looks like I\'ll make my christmas presents on time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Great sounds, great value!! THANKS KIRK!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is such a huge library which is pretty much an unknown as we have heard only a few demos. If you feel like posting anything you\'ve written with the library then that would be great. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This library is such great value for so many sounds, I would really like to hear more.

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Why would you want to sell you samples? Are you talking about the ones you just bought upon our reccomendation? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Keep in mind, I\'m not entirely satisified with AO. In many cases, it sounds like the crossfading is just applying a low-pass filter to the instrument instead of being a true p or pp dynamic. Maybe I\'m just imagining it. Plus, the oboe sounds \"not right\". It works though, for now, and I am getting good use out of the percussion (until I get LOP in a couple weeks).

Other than that, I\'m happy with my library (GOS Lite, SAM Horns, VOTA, Xsample #8). GOS Full would be nice, but I\'ll also have to spring for GigaStudio160, and I just don\'t have that kind of $ right now, and GOS Lite pretty much does what I need for now.

I guess the only sample set I would sell is AO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And use the money from that to buy brass/winds from VSL or QLSO.

Go Back to forum