• Register
  • Help

Topic: Q: SAM Horns demo, Dan Dean Woods, VSL...

Melbourne, Australia

Q: SAM Horns demo, Dan Dean Woods, VSL...

Ok... HO HO HO!!! CHRISTMAS TIME!!! And there\'s a 20% discount for us Aussies on EastWestSamples so I am in for some hardcore sample purchasing!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

First thing: SAM Horns. This is definitely a buy for me but just wondering, what\'s the piano used in the \"lively\" demo??? The demo with the horns playing staccato and a Horn solo in the middle??? I am basically looking for a piano with a \"concert\" sounding tone, just like the one in the demo...

I also have a question for Damon about his SAM Horns demo but I completely forgot what I was going to ask. Will post again when I remember... [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

2nd thing: Woodwinds. Do you all agree that the one and only decent woodwind library is the DDSW??? Are there any other alternatives??? I wrote an email to the sales department at DanDeanPro but will ask again anyway. What\'s the difference between the Light versions and Full versions??? My impression is that Light versions have all the articulations and velocity layers of the Full version but only 3/4 samples are used per octave??? Is that right???

Lastly: VSL. Anyone got this??? The woodwinds and brass package is comparable to DDSW, DDSB and DDBE, even after the upgrade to the Pro-Edition. But I really don\'t know where to get this Down Under, any of youse Aussie got a clue???

Aight... That\'s it!!! Have a Merry Christmas!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Q: SAM Horns demo, Dan Dean Woods, VSL...

The piano in the SAM Horns Playful demo is the Eastwest Steinway B piano for Gigastudio. Not the most classical piano out there, BUT, it is the most allround piano IMHO. You can use it for just anything, from jazz to pop to orchestral. In this piece, I created a nice hall around the piano, which makes it a pretty good concert piano sound! It has a lot of brightness... very detailed!

Thanks for asking! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I love that demo. You have a nice sense of rhythm Maarten - and your wonderful shifting between major and minor kinda reminds of a Mozart - dont know why...

Love - Chris

Quoting Dan Dean on the differences between DDSW and DDSW Lite:

The DDSWW/Lite has all the \"bread and butter\" woodwind instruments. It excludes the Bass Flute, Contra Bassoon and Alto Flute. For space limitations, we limited the samples to mi3rds, 2 velocities. The programming is basic, but it is a lite version. There is an upgrade path from the lite to the full version available from DDP, should you decide you want more instruments/presets, etc. The lite version is very playable.

Thanks Lewis!

Mozart? Well I guess those guys liked to switch from major to minor and vice versa very rapidly and suddenly. In your average film music as well, but perhaps more subtle and progressed? Unless you want a VERY big accent on screen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten, I liked those demos but not quite Mozart. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

However, nice horn melody though! Kind a reminds me of opening of a TV-series I can\'t remember the name of. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

As far as VSL solo woodwinds are concerned, I think those won\'t be available right away. If I\'m not mistaken they\'re releasing the sections first, and the solos will follow next year.

Go Back to forum