Something I wanted to discuss for a while.

With the new libraries (and the ones to come) we can put out music works that are more and more convincing and that stand on their own.

Well, we\'re talking about samples, so range limitations and mechanical limitations are different from a real orchestra/instrument.
(NOT talking about having your piece later on played by the real thing (orchestra/instrument))

Do you feel we should stay within the limitations of the instruments we write for. Should we go out of range or write a line that is impossible for a human being to play?

Even the rules of balance (2 horns for a trumpet ...etc) are challenged by the fact that all we need to do to hear an instrument better is to move a fader up. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I personally feel that if I hear it in my head and the library lets me do it, I am satisfied to write it as is, even if it\'s unplayable. If the orchestration sounds good, be it!

The fact that the machine enables us to go beyond what is humanly possible only broadens the possibilities and the journey.

Of course if the piece has to be played by human beings everything changes... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]