• Register
  • Help

Topic: TCM Young Film Composers...

Share/Bookmark

TCM Young Film Composers...

Hey, why is it that Florida is the only state that cannot enter this contest? I\'ve try contacting TCM about it, but they ignore my messages.

WASSUP WITH THAT?!

Re: TCM Young Film Composers...

Florida? How about the rest of the entire world!

Because Florida is the state where YOU live and they want to give others a fair chance [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe you shouldn\'t have posted your recent QLSO demo here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Aaron, why do you have to tell them the truth about the state you live in?

Can\'t you just tell them you live somewhere else, then if you win you can point out how stupid their rule is in your acceptance speech?

If you fancy your chances, find a way to enter it anyway. What\'s the worst thing that could happen? Maybe they could have a recount and give the prize to someone from Texas?

I am not able to enter, because of my visa.
    It is understandable that the contest excludes foreigners. However, I always feel sad, when I see that kind of competition ad.

Have to agree with Hasen here, and say that I don\'t understand why foreigners should be excluded. After all, in these days of the WWW, the world seems a very small place. I mean here we are on a forum, exchanging messages, in a matter of minutes. A few years ago, just one thread would have taken months. So I don\'t really see any reason why competitions like this have to be dependent on location.

I\'m not getting this at all. How do the organisers know where you come from? If you have a friend with an address in an elligible state, then why not enter anyway?

Originally posted by Pingu:
    Have to agree with Hasen here, and say that I don\'t understand why foreigners should be excluded. After all, in these days of the WWW, the world seems a very small place. I mean here we are on a forum, exchanging messages, in a matter of minutes. A few years ago, just one thread would have taken months. So I don\'t really see any reason why competitions like this have to be dependent on location.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Its pretty obvious why, \'cos if they did then and American wouldn\'t win. And we can\'t have that now can we.

I wondered this myself, and when I was on the phone with a yfcc rep verifying that my entry had been recieved (had some issues with TONOS this last time round...) she mentioned that from what she knew, the restriction had more to do with geography than nationality. Still disapointing if you ask me.

When I first entered three years ago, I remember thinking it would have been hysterical if ThomasJ could have entered. At that time, I had yet to hear anything sampled come even remotely close to what he was capable of. The next tier up were the established Hanses and Howards from what I could tell, and just three years ago, that level of quality would have been so ridiculously beyond everything I was hearing that won... Well, like I said, it\'s a shame. (maybe this year he can from inside the US? heheh... I\'d still enter, I mean, there are other prizes, right?)

Giving what I heard of the \"finalist\" entries for this year, I would say that we\'d all be better off working on something else. Whatever they\'re using as a selection process I want no part of, I don\'t care what big name is associated with it.

By the way, what are the past winners and finalists doing today? I sent an email to last year\'s winner asking how it helped him and never got a reply. Hmmm...

Go Back to forum