To reflect a similar thread on the forum which describes how people worked on their entries, I will try and share a few of the workflow issues I remember:
- Unfortunately I had only a few days to deal with it (sent it minutes before the deadline ) and a few hours each day.
- First I checked the original sheet music (its in the National Library, and available online) and slept over it two days when I wasn`t available to work on it anyway. Meanwhile I got the idea to make it 6/8, and use both chorus versions (second, the unfamiliar one I liked most, and its actually the "real" one as published circa 1852).
- I use notation soft when I am away from the main DAW, so I had some time to prepare a sketch - main voice + second voice + bass line + piano + drums, and the chords indicated. When I take it into Cubase, I am still not sure about the actual instruments, so parts are dragged and dropped to different voices, adjusted, transposed etc.
- I ended up using Jabb trumpets, trombones, saxes, bass, piano, drums, tambourine etc. And adding the marimbas, glock, and some brass enforcement from GIO. For the spacing I used some EQ and QL Spaces.
- Again, because of terrible time constraints could not really massage it, and make the score sound better, also sound wise.
I'm still in the Christmas mood, so this post is perfect for me, Vlad!
It was a really good idea to post the project you put together this year. You wanted an audience - Here's at least a small one, and we're generally a very positive audience, eager to hear each other's music.
Your brainstorm to do "Jingle Bells" in 6/8 was brilliant. Gives the familiar old tune new, bouncy life.
Happy New Year to you, Vlad - And thanks for more Christmas cheer!