• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Annoying Audiomidi.com review of Mach 5

Share/Bookmark

Annoying Audiomidi.com review of Mach 5

Just received the latest audiomidi.com newsletter with a link to their Mach 5 review. The more I read the review the more it annoyed me. It is so one sided that it’s unbelievable. I know they’re just a store trying to shift units but this review is just so unsubtle. It goes on and on about how great it is and how it’s the only real alternative to Giga. Kontakt isn’t mentioned once throughout.

In short it’s absolute horse manure. The thing hasn’t even got disk streaming yet. Maybe I’m missing something here – here’s the link for you guys to look at… Mach 5 review

Re: Annoying Audiomidi.com review of Mach 5

Originally posted by Hamilton:
    Just received the latest audiomidi.com newsletter with a link to their Mach 5 review. The more I read the review the more it annoyed me. It is so one sided that it’s unbelievable. I know they’re just a store trying to shift units but this review is just so unsubtle. It goes on and on about how great it is and how it’s the only real alternative to Giga. Kontakt isn’t mentioned once throughout.

In short it’s absolute horse manure. The thing hasn’t even got disk streaming yet. Maybe I’m missing something here – here’s the link for you guys to look at… Mach 5 review
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I talked to a sales guy at a large retailer (whose name I won\'t mention) who had the same spill. This is supposedly the soft sampler that will make all the others bow down, at least to the guys peddling it.

You simply have to stay away from salesmen and websites selling the software they review. Their opinion is obviously biased, and anyone who falls for their hype is a born sucker.

This is not to say that Mach 5 is a bad product. I personally don\'t have any idea, having never tested it.

But if you want honest reviews, you need to listen to legitimate reviewers. And even those need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I\'m sure when people read my upcoming review of Kontakt, they\'ll think I\'m a company stooge, the way I gush over it. But every word I say is true -- for me, at least... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I realise all that - it\'s just this one particularly annoyed me. I mean to say it\'s the only alternative to Gigasampler without mentioning Kontakt AND when it hasn\'t even got disk streaming yet is just preposterous. Maybe I should just laugh at it.

The dead giveaway of the reviewer\'s knowledge is that he says that he asked MOTU to make a software sampler after Emagic released it\'s ES-1.....which of course is their little analog modeling synth.

As everyone who knows something about samplers know that the EXS24 is Emagic\'s soft sampler.

;-)

spectrum

Without disk streaming how can anyone even start to compare Mach Five to ANY streaming samplers? How in the world could Mach Five hold all of the samples in RAM needed for today\'s advanced (huge) sample libraries?

The best thing about Mach-5 is it\'s \"intuitive\"... the \"no disc streaming\" thing sux, but everything else is
    pretty cool!

Not needing to open the manual goes a hell of a long way with me.

That\'s my take.....

I like both for different reasons....

Hi,

I\'m no expert, no recording engineer, and I\'m not a Giga user. Some of this will be OT.

re Mach 5

The demo by MOTU at AES NY of Digital Performer 4, Mach 5, and their new software synth MZ4 (I think it was) was impressive. When you see some of the sample/edit features of Mach 5 and how you can process the sounds both within the sampler, and within your sequencer, you begin to see the potential of where samplers are going. Hard disk streaming will be coming and only then will comparisons to Giga be worthwhile.

I can see why a reviewer would write a positive review. It really has a nice user interface, seems intuitive and easy to use. Forums are reporting a few bugs with DP4 and Mach 5 but not everyone has em, and those will go away, regardless.

To me it appears that Mach 5 is somewhat beyond Halion in editing features, except streaming. ( I\'m not using either)

OT

Steinberg was showing Nuendo 2. I only stayed a short while, it seemed fine, though not as exciting as when Nuendo first appeared.

The Giga area in Tascam\'s booth was more of a one on one. The sample market is a smaller market. Jeff was helpful but could only say that Giga 3 was on its way. Giga 3 will need some featuritis to catch up and it will probably have \'em.

It\'s the demos you guys produce that make Giga an exciting product. I\'m certain Giga 3 will knock everyone\'s socks off. No need to go down this well-worn path of Giga or not-Giga.

The new Giga convolution reverb seemed nice, with a variety of options to place the sound in a stereo field (oh, that\'s what reverbs do). I can\'t\' compare to the new Space Reverb from Emagic. eMagic was there as a Digidesign partnerm, but I didn\'t get to catch the demo.

Native Instruments should be going AU very soon (if not today). Great news for EWQLSO Mac users. At the booth, they had their standard software. Would have loved to hear EWQLSO. Next time.

Most people were speaking favorably of the dual 2 Gb Mac G5 for audio. I asked if there were issues, driver problems....

One of the more impressive demos was Digidesign ProTools HD system and some of the new features (such as a type of built-in FTP file sharing feature). Just when you think cpu DAWs would cut into their sales, they come out with new stuff. The sound was amazing. They played a 96k mix done at Capital records. Very nice.

I don\'t have enough experience to tell the differences between high end preamplifiers and will leave those comments to others. I won\'t be able to answer technical questions.

As usual, new products are getting better.
    Don\'t mean to start any flames with this. If I have said anything stupid, then cross it out.

John

Go Back to forum