• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tribute to Morricone

Tribute to Morricone

Hi folks,

I am digging deeper and deeper into the VSL. Now finally I have found a string setup that seems satisfying. I have put this into a new piece - western music this time. I always craved these deep frequencies that let your stomach turn even when the instruments are not playing hard or aggressively - this is the first step in (hopefully) the right direction.

As always - I am very interested in your opinion about the sound, the stereo setup and the mix.

Pierre Langer

Re: Tribute to Morricone

Very nice! I love that era Morricone. Good job. What is the whistle? A sample or do you have a real whistler on it?

Oops forgot to tell:

the guitar, banjo, ethno flute are played live.

Very very nice!

great work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Pierre,
    très bien, thumbs up, très évocatif, I can see the desert, the lonly, dusty cowboys... perfect! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It knocked me out !!
    Love the mastering and feeling of this piece.
    When are you posting the full 10 min version of this? I can\'t wait. Hehehehe. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Good job nontacky.

Goooooodddd.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .; yeha..,,!!!
    Impresionant Mix and Sound, only one note i think
    the \"Armonic\" comes too loud about 0:59/1:00, just in my opinion of course.
    I would like to know more about your Mix procces, Soft used, efects etc...

I love the whistle!
    how did you produce it? it sounds so like the morricone thing..
    lots of compression and lots o freverb? maybe some EQ trick?

This is very good western piece. What libs are you using? Just VSL?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

I work with Logic 5.5 on PC - one PC only, I can\'t stand having to work with several computers. I am using the EXSMKII as sampler.

In order to be able to write for huge ensembles without killing my CPU I put together my own instruments from the libraries, and throw out all samples that I don\'t need for every particular song.

I am using Logic FX only during the mixing process. The mastering is done in Wavelab, but it is mainly just gaining volume and pressure, no more EQing or stuff like that.

Normally I put a slight compressor on every instrument along with a 5Band EQ - which I use very careful, to get as much presence as possible.

As mentioned: light compressors on each track. Then I add a Limiter along with a StereoSpread and a Multiband Compressor to the final Stereo Output. I spread only the heights though and give a linear multiband compressing to the whole thing.

I am not too happy about my Reverb, I am just not able to get the hang of really achieving different grades of wetness - I suppose it\'s a knack. But anyway: I use 5 Reverbs which have all the same setting but are panned differently:

-40 (Mono) -20 (Mono) 0 (Stereo) 20 (Mono) 40 (Mono)

Then I set each instrument to the opposite panned reverb (e.g. Double Basses, Panned +35 => Reverb -40)

That way I think I get more room because I hear the reflection on the opposite side of the actual instrument.

As for EQing:

I give the basses and timps some frequencies around 70 - 140, and go up with the instruments, so that every instrument has it\'s own band. I am really not sure if this is the right way, but it is the best I have found so far.

Thanks for your nice posts

Pierre Langer

Go Back to forum