• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with my orchestral library setup

Share/Bookmark

Help with my orchestral library setup

I am waiting for my new computer to arrive next week. It\'s coming with Cubase SL, HALion, HALion Strings, Garritan\'s Gigaharp and Steinberg Grand.
    I need the rest of the orchestra now Am looking at the following options:

Brass (HAS to include jazz-style stuff and saxes):

Quantum Leap Brass (Giga) - this is the only one I could find that has both brass & saxes.

Winds:
    Dan Dean Solo Woodwind

Drums:
    Wizoo Brush Kit

Then I get stuck! I need things like celeste, xylophone, timps etc. Another idea is to maybe go for Sonic Station / Sonic Synth. Would this work with the Cubase SL / HALion setup? Also would be interested on people\'s opinions on which route I should go down, bearin in mind I\'ve already spent loads, and think I should be careful about what else I get!

Thanks a bunch - this board has been really helpful in my research so far!

Re: Help with my orchestral library setup

Hi there, well you cant go past;

Sams Free Trumpets
    Sams Free Timpani
    Sams Free Flute FX
    while you\'re there d/loading them you might as well get Sam Horns and Sam Solo Horns (only $119)

http://www.projectsam.nl/

Also jump over to G-Town and grab their excellent and again FREE samples.
    http://gtown.has.it/

I would say that would beef up your orchestra a bit and nearly everything is FREE!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, a lot of people recommend Advanced Orchestra as a good all around library to own. Some of the top composers are still using it for their work. FOr the price it is really quite extensive. (5455 samples I think)

Hope this helps, Scott.

Thanks for your thoughts Scott, have already considered Advanced Orch, but I\'d be doubling up on my strings which are good already I think, also I need jazzier horns hence my choice of Quantum Leap as opposed to Sam Horns.

Any other ideas people?

Hi Sarobin, you may still wish to consider AO as the strings are widely considered to be the weakest part of the library anyway. In other words, most wouldn\'t even buy AO for the strings.

The woodwinds on AO are very good and the brass is useful for doubling up with other brass libraries. (A trick Robert Kral likes to use) Plus there is a huge range of runs, trills, glissandi to choose from. I have AO myself but I still went out and bought Garritan Strings.

Sorry, I don\'t mean to harp (no pun intended!) on about AO, there are certainly many other great libraries out there. It\'s just one library that gives good value for money.

On the subject of percussion, you might want to try; London Orchesrtal Percussion, Ultimate Orchestra Percussion or the stand alone VST percussion from EWQLSO.

Anyway, I\'ll shut up and let someone esle have a turn. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers, Scott.

Have checked those out now. Came across Synclavier World & Orchestral Percussion (Ilio) which I think might suit my needs - any thoughts?

Have checked those out now. Came across Synclavier World & Orchestral Percussion (Ilio) which I think might suit my needs - any thoughts?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry mate, I can\'t say I have heard of that library. There is mention of it made here;
    http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002983

Can anyone else comment on the Synclavier World & Orchestral Percussion library?

Scott.

Not a direct comment, but I read elsewhere that Synmclavier libs ae pretty weak.

My suggestions are two:

for brass, nottoo expensive, add the BiggaGigga BOB brass. $189 list, and pretty consistent with articulations, they bl;end well with QLB.

Big Fish is supposed to be releasing a big band library sometime (hopefully soon.)

Dasher

Originally posted by Sarobin:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think this lib is rather good actually. They used to have a samplecell version which was cheaper here:www.timespace.com but I see they took it off for some reason -oh well. The lib has loads of stuff in it, and its all very usefull - they sounds great too imo!

The timps are quite weak, but the free SAM ones have that covered. - for the price, its SO worth it imo.

Ed

Go Back to forum