• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hello... an introduction.

Hello... an introduction.

Hey guys,

My first time on the NorthernSounds forums. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a composer from the ChicagoLand area, I picked up my first instrument five years ago, an Ibenez electric. I never had lessons or any formal music training, I learned the basics from the drummer in my first band, a jazz/rock effort. He (the drummer) and I wrote seventy songs together and have now begun work on an opera.

I am trying to teach myself as much composition and arranging as I can but I have a full time day job (as an English teacher) and am currantly taking night courses in graphic design, so spare time is fleeting.

I look forward to your help and hopefully being able to help...

My DAW:
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/ 533MHz FSB
    768MB of RDRAM PC1066
    60GB HDD for programs, 120GB HDD for audio
    DVD+RW/CD-RW/iomega Zip
    15\" LCD flat-panel monitor

Windows XP Home SP1
    Cubase SX v1.0.6
    The Grand v1.0.5
    SoundForge 6

STAudio C-Port 8-in/8-out PCI sound card
    M-Audio SP-B5 Studiophile Active near-field monitors.

Re: Hello... an introduction.

Welcome Alan,

I can see where this is going. Which sampler to buy? Which libraries?

Well... You\'ve come to the right place!

BTW, does the CPort support the GSIF standard?

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    BTW, does the CPort support the GSIF standard?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes it does, I made sure of this before purchasing as GigaStudio interested me very much at the time I bought it.

As far as samplers are concerned, I\'d love to hear your opinions As you see, I\'m a big Steinberg fan (SX and The Grand). I am very happy with both products but I hear their HALion is not as good. Most swear up and down about Kontakt, but those that don\'t enjoy it REALLY REALLY hate it. Giga no longer interests me until it is 24-bit integer... and Mach 5 looks really cool but I know MOTU products don\'t have the greatest compatibility with PC. I would prefer something that runs as a VSTi, I believe all except Giga do?

As far as samples go: I have my piano and am happy with it, I would like to go symphonic with my next step, as soon as I can hear some demos of GPO I\'ll whip my credit card out, but I have really been trying to save for VSL...

Thank you in advance,

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you learn/find a great deal of information.

There are tons of info on the various librairies. You will find lots of \'stuff\' and then some.

GPO will likely be a great place to start. And it leaves the sampler question moot. That may give you time to wait for the GS 3.0 announcement, before purchasing a stand alone sampler.

For me the sampler itself hasn\'t been a big deal. I just want it to work with a basic set of features. I only own GS96, so I can\'t compare it to the others.

The only compelling feature that I\'ve heard about from the competition is Kontact\'s time machine. From what I gather it\'s rather like ACID\'s loop stretching - but at the sampler level. King Idiot posted a jazz demo a few months back that made great use of this. Basically, he could take sampled horn phrases and runs and make them fit his tempo. It\'s killer for jazz, since single notes don\'t capture the jaxz feel, and phrases, runs, stabs and such are never recorded at the exact tempo that you want.

For me I want more libraries, free time, personal energy and composing/mixing talent. Oh, and money, health and happiness are good too. After that, I want a better sampler. It\'s all about priorities :-)

I\'d be curious to know what anyone can REALLY REALLY hate about Kontakt. I admit the first time I opened it up I was a bit overwhelmed, but it\'s an absolutely amazing piece of software and I can\'t imagine being without it.

I have never heard of anyone hating Kontakt. I hear a lot of people say its ulgy (and I\'d have to agree), but most of what I hear is how much they love it.

I know I do.

Welcome, Alan.

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

How\'s it going, Alan.... welcome to the Northern Sounds Forum! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gary

Hi! Please sit down and help yourself to a cup of tea! It\'s delicious! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

M-Audio SP-B5 Studiophile Active near-field monitors.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Alan, if I can divert your post for a moment, what do you think of your speakers? I am planning to buy the BX-8\'s next week.

BTW, Welcome. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum