• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO with Sony Acid Pro

Share/Bookmark

GPO with Sony Acid Pro

Hello Team,

I have a simple version of Garritan instruments and the Aria engine supplied with Acid Pro 7, and am interested in getting more orchestral sounds, preferably GPO rather than instant orchestra.
    The system requirements for GPO include Finale, which I haven't got.
    I use Personal Composer for Windows, which exports to MIDI and loads to the Aria engine on Acid Pro 7.
    Will GPO work for me without having Finale?

Thanks for your help.

John

Re: GPO with Sony Acid Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ejog 1985 View Post
    ...The system requirements for GPO include Finale, which I haven't got...
    You've apparently misinterpreted some info - Finale is a notation program, and it's made by MakeMusic which owns Garritan. But Finale isn't a system requirement for GPO. If it was, I wouldn't be able to use my GPO since I've never owned Finale!

Acid Pro hosts VST instruments, like ARIA/GPO - so you shouldn't have problems.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You've apparently misinterpreted some info - Finale is a notation program, and it's made by MakeMusic which owns Garritan. But Finale isn't a system requirement for GPO. If it was, I wouldn't be able to use my GPO since I've never owned Finale!

Acid Pro hosts VST instruments, like ARIA/GPO - so you shouldn't have problems.

Randy
    Thanks, Randy. That is what I hoped.

John

I have a further question about GPO4, concerning control. I know that most people use a keyboard with pedals and a modulation wheel so that they can tweak the sound whilst inputting the notes. However, I don't have and can't play a keyboard. I write the notes in my composition software (PCWIN3) and load the score as a MIDI file onto Acid Pro 7. I can do the tweaking by using envelopes for each track on the DAW. It doesn't look as if I can do Portamento or individual bow strokes that way, though. Hopefully, I can get Pizzicato from GPO4, though I don't see it on the instrument list? Similarly, I don't know how to access other options, such as the components of the percussion section.

So can I get better control than I have at the moment, without having keyboard input?

Thanks again

John

I have a further question about GPO4, concerning control. I know that most people use a keyboard with pedals and a modulation wheel so that they can tweak the sound whilst inputting the notes. However, I don't have and can't play a keyboard. I write the notes in my composition software (PCWIN3) and load the score as a MIDI file onto Acid Pro 7. I can do the tweaking by using envelopes for each track on the DAW. It doesn't look as if I can do Portamento or individual bow strokes that way, though. Hopefully, I can get Pizzicato from GPO4, though I don't see it on the instrument list? Similarly, I don't know how to access other options, such as the components of the percussion section.

So can I get better control than I have at the moment, without having keyboard input?

Thanks again

John
    Hi, John - It looks like you still have some misunderstandings of MIDI and how ARIA works. Just now I did a search and found your thread from last year where a number of things were discussed. Here's that thread if you need to refer to it again:

ARIA in Acid Pro7

Going through your new message:

--Actually, a lot of people don't use a keyboard with Garritan. So, even though it makes work much slower, with a lot more mouse clicking and fiddling, it can be fine to put together music without a keyboard. The people who are using keyboards don't "tweak the sound whilst inputting the notes" really - they're performing the instruments they have loaded in ARIA. They can develop a technique to get organic sounding results because they can feel the direct connection between volume and notes as they play, for instance.

Tweaking by hand is best done in the Piano Roll View of DAW software. You get the biggest, clearest display of all the MIDI controllers in the world, directly associated with the notes which are displayed with their length and volume which is indicated by a color range, in Sonar anyway.

Open the Controls window in ARIA for any loaded instrument, and you'll see the available controls - Portamento, Length, Var1 and 2 (timbre controls), along with a ModWheel knob are found on all of the string patches. Other instruments have additional parameters available, controllable through MIDI CCs.

I think you mean you're investigating info about GPO, trying to decide if you want to buy it? If you haven't found the manual, here it is:

GPO4 Manual

Use the Search function in your PDF reader to find listings. For instance type in Pizzicato, and you'll find every reference to that in the manual. On page 82, there's a chart showing you all the different string articulations available via keyswitches in the "KS" (Keyswitch) patches. When you engage F in the lower octave, you'll get the Pizz patches. The various bowings are available there also. Besides being available in the KS patches, the articulations are also available as individual patches which you can load in ARIA if you want to take up slots with individual articulations like that.

ARIA has a drop down menu available when you click on an empty instrument slot. Here's what it looks like when you click to open the available Percussion patches:

Much of the time, all you would need is the first patch, "Basic Orchestra Percussion," since a lot of instruments are all gathered across the keyboard in that one patch. But as you can see from the open menu, individual percussion instruments can be loaded that way also.

So, yes you can get the same amount of control without a keyboard as with. You just have to know your software programs inside and out and thoroughly investigate both what's available in ARIA and in GPO.

Randy

Thank you for all this attention. I am considering buying GPO4. What I have at the moment is a small selection of patches from 3 of the Garritan libraries that comes with Acid pro 7, along with Aria for Acid Pro v1.0 (Garritan); v1.065 Windows x86 (Plogue).
    Having looked again at the online manual, the Aria player there looks different from the one I have loaded in Acid pro 7. In the mixer view I can see only the 16 instrument slots with 2 faders opposite each of them (labelled CC7 and CC10), plus the keyboard underneath. I have never found any trace of the 16 paired outputs. If I could find and use them, I imagine the sound would be clearer with different outputs for each channel. So far I have relied on using volume envelopes for each track and adjusting the mixer in Acid Pro.
    If I get GPO4, will it be a version of Aria that works as the manual says, or is there a problem with Acid Pro?

With thanks

John

...the Aria player there looks different from the one I have loaded in Acid pro 7...If I could find and use them, I imagine the sound would be clearer with different outputs for each channel...
    Hello again, John - Glad to help.

ARIA is constantly being updated, and the interface looks a bit different with each update, but the basic controls are always the same. Online you'll find info and screenshots from older versions, but that info doesn't really become outdated.

I've never used Acid Pro, but I suppose it's possible that the ARIA with that sampling of Garritan instruments may be stripped down from the full version - I'm not sure.

On that older thread of yours from last September, "ARIA in Acid Pro 7," in post #4 I explained about the 16 stereo audio outs in ARIA. Quoting from that, here's the info again:

"...by default, all slots are assigned to the audio channel called "1/2." That refers to Left (1) and Right (2). But there are a total of 16 audio channels, and they're labeled "1/2" through "31/32." By clicking those numbers on the interface, you can assign each slot to any of those you want. You can have the 16 lots assigned to audio outs 1 through 16, or you can have 2 or more slots assigned to the same one - This is exactly like what you can do with the MIDI channels..."

Here's a labeled screenshot of the controls in each ARIA instrument slot:

When you click the "1/2," there's a drop down menu for choosing which audio out to use, as explained in the quote from me above.

When you buy GPO4, you'll also be getting the newest version of ARIA, but it will still basically operate the way it's explained in the manual.

Hope that helps.

Randy

Randy,

It looks clear enough on the screenshot you have supplied and that is what I can't get with my Acid Pro version of Aria, which is why I couldn't get what you said last autumn about the 16 paired outputs. Here is a link to the Sony website which shows a shot of what I do get for Aria - no sign of tuning, bend, nor audio outs, and apparently no way to connect with them:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...rritanAria.jpg

I have sent a message to Garritan support about this.

Best wishes

John

Randy,

It looks clear enough on the screenshot you have supplied and that is what I can't get with my Acid Pro version of Aria...
    Hi, John - Thanks very much for the screenshot. I see - yeeeah, that's a really stripped down version of ARIA, nothing like the full deal.

Support will probably only be able to confirm that yes, that version of ARIA player doesn't do much more than provide a way to pipe sounds into Acid without much control.

Well, Acid supports VST instruments, so when you get the full GPO4, that will come with the full tilt version of ARIA, and you'll be more up to speed.

Randy

Hi Randy,

You were absolutely right about what Support would say. I have sent them a message to the effect that Sony and Garritan between them have not been transparent on the issue of what their Aria version won't do. I thought I needed a DAW and wanted to be able to play with a selection of Garritan sounds before deciding which library to go for. I have wasted 4 or 5 months trying to get the controls to work better. I do have a couple of roughly engineered tracks, using the volume envelopes on Acid. These I am hoping to use as part of a public performance on 23rd March, but they could do with being a bit less muddy.

So I will go ahead and purchase GPO4 which should work in Acid Pro, as you say. However, if there are problems, does GPO4 function as a stand alone? I mean can it accept a MIDI file (exported from the notation software PCWIN3) and output the results to my sound card without using a DAW?

John

Go Back to forum