• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Maybe a stupid question but, anyone NOT happy w/ VSL?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Maybe a stupid question but, anyone NOT happy w/ VSL?

Alan,

VSL has some amazing things, and some not so amazing things. I do find that I\'m going to Sam Horns (about $100) more than VSL\'s horns(unless it\'s the legato piano instrument, which is great). At the end of the day, you should be able to produce some great stuff with any of these libraries.

\"Anyone getting comparable results at half the cost?\"

Assuming the Hollywood Orchestral genre... GPO will likely be the killer low cost solution. For mid-cost I\'ve liked the demos that I\'ve heard with the following:

* SAM Brass
    * Westgate Woodwinds
    * GOS or SI String Ensembles
    * G-Town percussion (free!)
    * Voices of the Apocalypse

To me GPO would be a great scratch-pad. It\'s nice to have a small solution that loads quickly and can tote on your laptop. Compose creatively - don\'t fuss with performance issues and huge templates. However, it won\'t really compete with VSL, nor is it intended to.

The mid-cost solution has great sounds and can make results that will rival VSL. The biggest challenge is to get some templates that really work for you, and to get everything to blend. Mixing this stuff well and getting good depth and placement can take a lot of trial and error.

Finally we have VSL. Here you get the whole orchestra done consistently. And you get (drool) performance sampling for killer legatto. You still need to mix and place, but you\'re not trying to bring disperate recrodings into the same mix.

There\'s also EWQLSO. The advantage here is that everything is multi mic\'d in correct seating position in an ambient space. Theoretically, this will be the easiest to mix.

Me? I\'m building up to a mid-cost collection. I\'m a hobbyist, so none of this makes me any money. And I\'m looking to find my own sound, rather than be a Hollywood clone. (Don\'t think I\'m knocking HW clones! I\'m not. There\'s *great* music here, and the opportunity to make a real living.)

But overall I\'ve learned to evaluate libraries in this order:
    1) Do I like the sound?
    2) Does it have enough solid articulations to make musical phrases?
    3) Does it have enough velocity layers to sound smooth?
    4) Is it programmed to sound good with swells and such? (esp. brass and strings)
    5) Is it programmed well? (tuning & levels)
    6) Does it have useful runs & effects that can\'t be done well with midi programming?

Generally, the top libraries have numbers 2 thru 5 covered. So it all comes back to number 1. Do I (or you) like the sound.

So Alan, how do you like the sound of the VSL demos?

Hey Jon,

Thanks for your great reply. Here are two of my pieces so you can get a feel for what I\'m writing:

www.alanjoseph.com/October.mp3

and

www.alanjoseph.com/November.mp3

Both composed by myself and orchestrated in VSL by esperlad. As I\'m not as familiar with the other sample libraries, can I obtain results comparable to these, for these pieces and in this style, through a less expensive solution until I have the money for VSL?

Thanks in advance for the listen,

AL

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:

* SAM Brass
    * Westgate Woodwinds
    * GOS or SI String Ensembles
    * G-Town percussion (free!)
    * Voices of the Apocalypse

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just got done doing some research. Seems like this would be pretty good at only a cost of $1625 US, choosing GOS over SISS. Maybe I could go this route until my VSL budget becomes a reality...

The only thing I couldn\'t find was the G-Town percussion. Does anyone have a link they could post for me?

Thanks in advance,

AL

Does VSL have Choir? \'cause if not, then VOTA shouln\'t be included in the comparison.

The best things that I have heard coming from VSL, involve the Performance tool, so you might opt to just buy the Performance Set once you get your budget together rather than the whole collection.

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    Here you go

http://gtown.has.it/
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Sharmy but all I get is an Action Canceled error message. Tried refreshing a couple of times, same message...

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

AL

PS. Midphase, you are correct, I just planned on buying VOTA anyway w/ VSL. In that case, the price is only $1125 US.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Sharmy:
    Here you go

http://gtown.has.it/
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Sharmy but all I get is an Action Canceled error message. Tried refreshing a couple of times, same message...

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Try later, it\'s down for the moment.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Maybe a stupid question but, anyone NOT happy w/ VSL?

It is oh so much money and I\'d hate to go without for so long and then end up with a product that I may have been better off buying other smaller libraries and combining them to build my own orchestra.

Of course I have heard how great it sounds, not only from the VSL demos, but I also found someone nice enough on the VSL forum to orchestrate a couple of my own pieces using it. And WOW did he do a great job doing so.

But, there are always two sides to every story, and with how many other libraries are available, especially with wonderful sounding solo instruments at prices that just can\'t begin to compare to VSL\'s I was just wondering what you guys thought?

Any VSL horror stories? Anyone getting comparable results at half the cost?

AL

Hmmm...horror related VSL story...this isn\'t something I like to bring up, but you asked for it. When I was an organ grinder in South America I was chased for six miles by the Venezuelan Simian Liberators because they wanted to free my ring-tailed monkey, Robespierre, and publicly flog me for Crimes Against Primates. Brrrrrrr...I get chills just thinking about it.
    -Hudson

Not happy ? ... hehehe ... not me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum