• Register
  • Help

Topic: bigga gigga/pro samples...any thoughts for exs

Share/Bookmark

bigga gigga/pro samples...any thoughts for exs

Hello all. I\'ve become a rabid fan of the site and am slowly digesting as much as my feeble mind can handle. I\'ve noticed that most posts refer to the big boy sample libraries...VSL, East West QL, etc. but I seldom see any references to bigga gigga. The four in one horn package is fiscally attractive so I guess I want to know if anybody has had problems or if they just sound...well, good. I\'m using exs on logic for Mac so another library that has caught my attention is the exs native Pro Samples. The price seems almost too good to be true. (this is often the case, you get what you pay for, right) Another Exs that caught my eye was P.Seidlaczeks advanced orch. Any thoughts there? I know VSL will come out for EXS but I don\'t seem to see mention of Dan Dean or Garritan anywhere.

I\'m kinda new to the sampling world and at times I\'m rueing not having gone the giga route, but all in all I\'m quite happy in my Logical world. If only my mac didn\'t choke at about ten tracks! I have definitely noticed bottlenecks when using higher quality samps. I suppose I\'ll have to start writing some cute quartets instead of thundering opuses (opii ?)

My meager samps at this point are sams trumpets, sams solo french horn, everything I could get from the akai site and anything free I have been able find scouring the web. (There is a lot of poop out there!) As well, I just received my glorious 10$ sample cube from Ilio. Mmmmm, like a schoolyard pusher they might very well have me hooked.
    I also just ordered Dan Dean solo brass lite and am thinking a companion piece would be either Garritan lite or Seidlaczeks for exs.

Man, I just reread this and I\'m sorry if so much of this has been covered before but any brief response would be cool
    Thanks
    Christian B

PS- Anyone in Vancouver interested in a free beer so I can pick thier brains... Ah, what the hell, I\'ll even buy lunch!

Thanks all and to all a good day

Re: bigga gigga/pro samples...any thoughts for exs

Originally posted by christianb:
    but I seldom see any references to bigga gigga. The four in one horn package is fiscally attractive so I guess I want to know if anybody has had problems or if they just sound...well, good. I\'m using exs on logic for Mac so another library that has caught my attention is the exs native Pro Samples. The price seems almost too good to be true. (this is often the case, you get what you pay for, right)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Christian.

I\'m probably a bit biased, since I actually is one of the founder of Bigga Giggas, but I want to say a few things about our prices.
    Quite often I get this question, \"Can your stuff be any good whith this pricetag?\", Well, yes it can, and it is.
    We have our ways of keeping costs down that doesn\'t influence the quality of the samples. We have very big quality standards and use top recording technique when making our samples.
    Take one of our latest releases, the \"Studio Grand 88\".
    This grand piano, (a eraly 20\'s Malmsjo Grand), was recorded at Studio Kuling in Sweden. The studio has a room, specially designed for the recording of acoustic instruments, wooden floor, adjustable acoustic elements in the cealing and so on.
    The piano was recorded using top quality michrophone and preamps (like Mil-Medias HV-3B), directly to a pro tools system at 24 bits 44.1 kHz.
    The piano was sampled using a specially designed software that allowed me to make samples with 2dB accuracy so I actually could sample 12-13 velocity layers/note. Both pedal up and down was sampled separatly.
    During the entire session a pro pianotuner was standing by, ready to adjust any note that needed fixing during the session.
    From the original 13-13 velocity layers, samples where carefully chosen to give as transparent velocity splitting as possible.
    This piano is sold for $95.
    Now this might sound low in comparising to most other piano libraries out there, and it is.
    But as I said, we have ways of cutting costs that doesn\'t envolve the actual samples.

...and I live on the other side of the globe, (Sweden), but if I ever get to your neighbourhood, I pick up on that free beer offer... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

.... and if you need some free gigs, check out Worra\'s Place!

Worra, I\'m trying to surmise what your custom software does, and I\'m stumped. Is it more than metering and fine gain adjustment?

I\'ve heard rumors that they used several different pianos and had a mechanical device to play the keys when they made the Kurzweil K250 piano 20 years ago. But that\'s not software!

I own BOB (Bigga Orchestral Brass) and it\'s a fantastic library. And in very high quality!
    If you don\'t want to do much midi programming BOB is great out-of-the-box lib.

Btw. you can find demo\'s by using \"bob\" or \"bigga\" as a search term.

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Worra, I\'m trying to surmise what your custom software does, and I\'m stumped. Is it more than metering and fine gain adjustment?

I\'ve heard rumors that they used several different pianos and had a mechanical device to play the keys when they made the Kurzweil K250 piano 20 years ago. But that\'s not software!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Nick.

The software works shortly like this:
    From a given amplitude, the program only records (or rather, saves), notes that are within certain dB bounderies. For example, if the loudest note are -3dB, the program then saves notes that are between -4dB and -6dB and between -6dB and -8dB and so on.
    What you\'ll end up with, for one note, is a set of samples that are aprox 2dB from eachother.
    Now, a piano doesn\'t really work that way, that is, when striking a key on one side of the piano equally hard as one key of the other side, you won\'t get the same amplitude.
    This is why I recorded 12-13 velocities per note and pedal instead of 8. I needed several to choose from.
    After recording, I had to get the right samples, both within the same velocity layer, across the keyboard, plus getting it to sound right within a certain note. Now, this was where the REAL work begun.....

A better approach would be to use a mechanical device that actually strikes a key with exactly the same pressure every time.
    And this is exactly what I\'m working on right now..... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i got BOB horns- good product in its price range
    i would recommend it it.

***OFF TOPIC***

Hiya Christian

You said in another thread that you were shy to post your tunes. If you like you can send me your stuff here: leon.will*nospam*ett@upc.es and I\'ll gladly offer constructive comments. (take out *nospam* from the email address) Only if you feel like it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That way you get the opinion of another novice [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

hey all, thanks for your replies. And Worra, thanks for some of those sounds on your site. With all the downloading frenzy trying to find stuff to make tunes with, I had forgotten about your site until I revisited it as per your suggestion. I think I may have had some problems with a few. (Logic audio on a mac, exs seems finicky about what it choose to convert!) I tried for a week to get Mikes bones to work! I know, I gotta get CDExtract.
    I ordered Dan Dean solo brass lite last week, but that doesn\'t mean I\'m still not in the market for ensemble brass Worra! I\'ll keep you all posted. Currently my concern is a nice little string package. Garritan (thanks Gary) keeps coming up, but I think I\'m going to have to wait it out until I see who makes an exs friendly version first.

Leon: I do believe I\'ll take you up on that offer, but I recently got myself a big bottle of Cuervo so I think I\'ll also have the courage to post this weekend.

My question becomes...how do you guys post your tunes on the site. It seems so easy, I click, it plays. Does northern host the tune for you or do I have to have a server somewhere doing that. Please explain.

On a final note, I am trully impressed with this site. Of all the many forums I have auto-filled myself into this here one seems the warmest and fuzziest... Then again I haven\'t been critiqued yet!

Thanks
    Christianb

Christianb, I,too can attest to the quality of BiggaGigga libs. I have several, including BOB, the clav, rhodes, and lots of the free downloads. This is a fantastic company for bargain priced, high qualty sounds.

Dasher

Very interesting. Thanks Worra.

Go Back to forum