• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: sams brass vs ewqlsl

Share/Bookmark

sams brass vs ewqlsl

i am probaly the only person that does\'nt own any of the sams hrns.bones or trps. i like what i have heard.
    can someene OBJECTIVLY compare and contrast the collection vs the EWQLSL brass section ?
    a few questions :

1. what is the difference in articulations
    and size.
    2. does sam \"compenensate\" at all for any alleged weekness in the ewqlsl brass recordings?
    3. is this even a valid comaprison at all?
    4. am i an idiot for not owning sams?
    5. if sams cost twice as much would you still buy it?
    6. pretend for a moment you created both libraries,
    how would you price them? would you raise the price of sams, lower the price of ew or leave them the same?
    the reason why i am asking all of this is because before i bought the complete 1st edition of VSL. i bought
    g** and b*** G*** horns . what complete waste i don\'t use any of them. i dont want to make the same mistake again if i am evenually going to buy the EWQL libary. however sams does look very impressive at its price point.
    thanks in advanced AND you can email me priviatly of you want as well !!

Re: sams brass vs ewqlsl

Originally posted by midphase:
    In that case, you might opt for personal messaging where you could dig a bit deeper in the pros and cons of a particular library. Either way, try to concentrate your inquiries on \"what are the pros and cons of SAM\" instead of \"which is better SAM, VSL or QLSO brass?\" which will unavoidably lead to an ugly mess.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">yeah thats pretty much what i was going for.
    my first impression if sam was that it is underpriced.! what i ment from \"objective\" is for
    developers and ressellers to refrain from posting publically. thanks

The most objective answer to that question, that \"someene\" AND a developer can give is to compare the articulation list.

1. what is the difference in articulations and size.
    Both provide the articulation lists at their websites.

Everything else is too biased by personal opinions. What does it matter if you got 10 GB worth of data if the 1 GB sounds do a better service for you? Or if the 10 GB cost double price as the 1 GB if they do a better service for you? What price would you charge if you think your 10 GB lib is the best around?

Is that the way to contrast two libraries? Will your buying decision depend on these criteria?

Hansi

my first impression of sam was that it is underpriced.!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Shhhhh!!!! Are you crazy??? Don\'t say that outloud again! I\'ll tell you what, if it makes you happy I\'ll sell you my version for twice what they\'re asking for!

Hey Mike, just my personal opinion..... you cannot go wrong with
    SAM Horns. Man, they\'re really great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Actually in terms of blending and the Sam libraries, I think Maarten and the team went to a lot of trouble to ensure that all the brass lib\'s work together.

This in fact, seems to be what Bill Browns demo highlighted.

Originally posted by mike harper:
    can someene OBJECTIVLY compare and contrast the collection vs the EWQLSL brass section ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Geeez, nobody can do that! There is no such thing on the board as an objective buying decision helper. We don\'t all buy BMW because it\'s a cool car! Nor we all like it silver-colored... Opinions will always be biased on what you need/do. That\'s like saying VSL Horns don\'t have any use or Daewoo cars won\'t even go a long mile. Sorry for interrupting the thread.

Hansi

In another thread someone raised a similiar question but based on budget constraints rather than quality or style.

It is a good observation to note that most of the recent mega libraries are high quality.

The question is, how much do you want to spend on one?

SAM is tough to beat as far as price. And I am sure the quality would leave you pretty happy.

QLSO and VSL are meant to be used as a whole, where all the instruments and spaces match quite well.

Is that an issue in the real world? Is it going to make your compositions less great? That is all rather subjective and you really won\'t know until you plunk down the $$$ and find out for yourself.

A word of caution...the grass is always greener elsewhere when it comes to sample libraries. You can buy QLSO and still be left wondering if you should have gotten VSL. You can buy SAM brass and still wonder if your money would have been better spent on Dan Dean Ensemble Brass. You really can\'t win unless you buy everything (or if you happen to know someone who owns everything and they will let you come over and hear for yourself).

The ultimate decision should be based on listening to the various demos and determining if that is the sound that you are after. User feedback would be a good method as well, although people around here seem to not be willing or able to share their true personal feelings in fear of angering some developer. In that case, you might opt for personal messaging where you could dig a bit deeper in the pros and cons of a particular library. Either way, try to concentrate your inquiries on \"what are the pros and cons of SAM\" instead of \"which is better SAM, VSL or QLSO brass?\" which will unavoidably lead to an ugly mess.

thanks everyone sort of .. i think i worded the questions entirly wrong. again i was on no sleep and i just finised editing a 5 hr newscast. so maybe i was out of it. i think what i was wondering was if you compared the size and sounds of the hns, trp and bns ONLY to the similar intruments in ewql what would you come up with? but i think i have a general idea.
    [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] now off to build a new super pc for all of this. long day ahead

I don\'t have EWQL so I can\'t comment on that other than the demos I\'ve heard, which presumably you\'ve heard as well, so you can decide for yourself.

What I can comment on is how Sam Horns and Sam Bones both give me little shivers up my spine while I\'m working every so often.

Now, perhaps, the little shivers are due to the phenomenal nature of my compositions...er...well, maybe not. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But even if the composition is phenomenal, the brass from Sam kicks some serious booty. And, I have yet to hear a composition that uses Sam stuff and think, \"Man, the brass sure doesn\'t sound very good.\" I can\'t say that of most libraries...even the \'big\' ones.

On the other hand, we haven\'t really heard, in demo form, what EWQL is capable of yet - as far as brass goes. And the bit we have heard has been pretty darned good.

Now, if you want my advice, not that it\'s worth much, then I would probably go with EWQL if I could afford it. But only if I could get the whole thing.

Whereas it was out my price range, so I opted for Sam Brass mixed with other libraries.

Hmmm. What a useless post of mine this was.

Go Back to forum