• Register
  • Help

Topic: pirate drinking song ???

Share/Bookmark

pirate drinking song ??? aka: mozarts drinking song

I was watching a pirate movie on tv, and those guys started singing, what sounded like to me, a drinking song. Just for fun, I through this together. Hopefully when you hear it, you will have the urge to raise your stein of ale and swing it back and forth over your head. Or maybe not! Anyway, this is for two accordians.
    Jay.

www.jesse.us.com/pirate.mp3

Re: pirate drinking song ???

That's a fun thing you "through" together, Jay--sorry, couldn't resist.

I enjoyed this accordion duet, with its abundant demonstration of your musical savvy, Jay. Nice counterpoint, elegantly assembled, and the whole thing has an enjoyable curve to it from start to finish.

I'll submit that I think your triple question marks in the subject line were well chosen, because the piece doesn't scream "pirate drinking song" to me. I think if you had dumbed down your musical smarts, emphasized the oom-pah, sped up the tempo, simplified the melody and drastically cut back the counterpoint - then it would feel more like what pirates might be playing and singing in a grimy, seaside pub.

But - the music's nice! I just don't find it gritty and simple enough to be piratical. But Arrrrrr, Mister, your musical flare always twinkles brightly in your posts.

Randy

Hey Randy!
    I know that I let my imagination get away with me on this. It actually makes me laugh when I think about pirates drinking their rum and singing this, counterpoint and all. It is a pretty absurd image. Maybe sometime I will rewrite this thing but make sure that I spit on it and scrape it across the barroom floor to give it a more gritty character. Why oh why did I ever post this. I should have thought this "THREW". I should rename this "Mozart's drinking song".
    Thanks for listening and commenting. Jay

Hi Jay

A nice 'pirate song', but I agree with Randy, your pirates must have been very refined to sing or play such an enriched counterpoint tune. Maybe, you could have simplified the arrangement by using just one accordion (preferably a concertina) and the left hand accompaniment with basses and chords. That would have emphasised the rough character and simple chord structure like the true nature of such a song would be.

But you did a good job, only in another genre. Lovely plain accordion sound as well. What samples did you use?

Max

Hi Max! Thanks for the listen. I think that I had a brain burp when I decided to name this a pirate song. I guess there are no take backs on that. Oh well. I used two instances of JABB accordion for this. I just took the sound 'out of the box' and added no EQ. I did add some reverb though. I just felt like trying something with the accordion sound and this is what came out.
    Thanks for the input. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    ...I think that I had a brain burp when I decided to name this a pirate song. I guess there are no take backs on that...
    I was feeling sorry for you being busted by us over the Pirate thing - I told the story to my wife, and she said I should tell you that she thinks it would suit Pirates who were first Julliard grads. Good point! A shanty for well educated, musically trained Pirates!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I was feeling sorry for you being busted by us over the Pirate thing - I told the story to my wife, and she said I should tell you that she thinks it would suit Pirates who were first Julliard grads. Good point! A shanty for well educated, musically trained Pirates!

Randy
    Of course, Randy, two pirates standing next to one another and drinking cannot POSSIBLY produce good counterpoint--they merely produce a series of parallel fifths.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

My pirates attend black tie affairs and drink champagne. But they still say "ARRRGH" and hassle the occasional "WENCH".
    Jay.

Well Jay,

I was thinking this could be the music that the pirates play when they are not being pirates but a couple of dandies flirting with the ladies.

This could be a take off of Have Gun Will Travel.

They are enjoying the company of young ladies of the local social set when a man walks in and hands them a note.

Urgent! Two pirates needed immediately. I will wire you the funds necessary.

The next scene shows then in full pirate garb sailing to do the job.

Have Sword Will Sail. Dum Dum-Dum Dum-Dum Dum-Dum Dum!

Phil

Phil! Now that's an interesting premise. Lets see if we can get the tv industry to buy into it.
    Jay

Go Back to forum