• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio Editor & 24 bit files?

GigaStudio Editor & 24 bit files?

Hi Folks,
    I\'ve been away from the Giga world for a while and am just now starting a new Giga sample set (a Cimbalom).....

I have these beautiful 24 bit 44k samples and when I import the samples into the Giga editor I see they are being \"converted\".

I did a \"edit audio\" to see what they were being converted to and the file property said \"16 bit\"... not what I was hoping for.

I was under the assumption that GigaStudio did work with 24 bit files..... am I correct?
    Is there a preference setting somewhere that I\'m missing which is causing this lovely CHOPPING off of my extra bits [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ?

Normally I\'d call Tascam and ask then this question so I wouldn\'t look like a sound developer who doesn\'t know what he\'s doing but that\'s what I am right now [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    But...... since it\'s the weekend I thought I\'d humble myself and ask all you knowledgeable folk.

Thanks much! Dennis @ Bolder

Re: GigaStudio Editor & 24 bit files?

Current Giga does not read 24 bit still 16 bit, however the new 3.0 version will read it do out sometime probably this summer or fall. Kontact will read 24 bit now if you really need to hear it right now.

Thanks!.......... that is what I was needing to know. I must have had my software samplers mixed up!
    I\'m curious if when the Guga Instrumnt Editor says \"converting 24 bits files\" if it is doing any dithering or not. Anyway it doesn\'t matter I suppose... I\'d want to handle that myself with Waves L2 to go to 16 bits.

thanks again! Dennis @ Bolder

Giga Editor is actually dithering them to 16 bit for you and it is a real nice algorythm as well. 3.0 will be the final cure though for playing them back natively in 24 bit.
    Also, with the current version, the files have to be 44.1 or 48khz. anything higher will not work right and will play at half speed. 3.0 is supposed to cover all the possibilites of bit and sample rate though.

Go Back to forum