• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guess the orchestral sample library....

Guess the orchestral sample library....

Hey all -

Just for fun, thought I\'d see how mundane all these older orchestral sample CD\'s are getting compared to all the new, flashy GIGA libraries. Do they \"stick out\" compared to the new stuff?

I\'ve got about two hours of orchestral stuff on my mp3 site using a mix of all kinds of sample libraries. Whoever guesses the correct libraries the closest (for brass, strings, winds, etc.) gets a promotional CD-R of private orchestral samples. Whoopeee!!!!

This is really just for fun - I\'ll post the results in a week or so...

...if anybody even cares, that is...

Plus any other links to other sampled orchestral music would be a bonus!!

Re: Guess the orchestral sample library....

What a talent! And if I read your mp3.com website correctly, you also live in Raleigh. I\'ve sent you an e-mail through mp3.com.

hmm I used to be good at this

strings, sound like a mix of UStrings (and KHStrings (I dont have this lib so I\'m not sure, but the basses have a sound I haven\'t heard in any of the libs I have, almost filtered, and I know KH is only one velocity), it could also be AO, or the \"strings\" patch playin the low notes...not sure

Brass sounds like AO with a mix of some roland stuff (could be Orch board, or samples). I\'m not sure of the other stuff.

Woods, AO

Perc = Roland and AO

Actually the more I think about it the more I feel like I\'ve made the wrong choices for two reasons, I\'ve stopped trying to over analyze samples themselves so much, and because I dont own all the libs out there, especially some of the oldies but goodies.

Anyhow, great stuff no matter what lib you use [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

if I have to say whether it sticks out or not...I\'d say not so much in some places, and like a sore thumb in others...like the 2nd Knight horn melody.

in the end your composing work and mixing work will shine pretty high if you ask me, but then again, I dunno how many people will all of a sudden find hidden composing/orchestration talents with the new libs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Might destroy the fun here but i believe you have specified all your libraries on your artist site.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

I\'m very curious about this \"other private collections of 5 or 6 sample disks (Howard, Zimmer and the like)\". please tell us more!!!

Great compositions, and great work. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Brass is QLB and Miroslav, strings are KH and Miroslav, woodwinds are Miroslav and proteus, Percussion is Miroslav and some real. AO is used in places as well.

Reverb is Waves Truverb. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey now, no cheating! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I realized after I posted I detailed some of the stuff on my homepage - I guess I didn\'t think anyone would be interested enough to check it out.

Great to share stuff with fellow geeks out there (I mean that in the BEST possible way, really!). The private samples came from my time in LA - more detail via e-mail if anyone\'s curious to know more.

BTW, \"The Han Solo Affair\" has some extra-special samples in it and is one of the pieces I\'m most proud of for the realistic impact. It\'s probably obvious, but I had a few live players in the mix somewhere...

Go Back to forum