• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Phil Collins Electronic Drum Sound - c1987

Phil Collins Electronic Drum Sound - c1987

I need to recreate the Phil Collins drum sound from the mid-late 80s era Genesis stuff. As far as I can tell, it\'s pretty heavily Roto-tom based but I\'m no drummer, so I would really appreciate your opinion on how he made it. The Invisible Touch album appears to be COMPLETELY electronic drum based - no acoustic!

Re: Phil Collins Electronic Drum Sound - c1987

I\'ve got an Alesis DM5 drum module that has the classic \"hexagon\" electronic drum sound, though I don\'t know the details of the original drums that PC used. But I do remember the old hexagon drums. They never sounded as good as what came out of PC\'s studio.

The first thing that springs to mind is a heavily gated kick and snare for the Phil Collins sound. \"In the Air Tonight\", (when the drums actually kick in), and \"Billy Don\'t Lose My Number\"

Phil did use drum machines, but his primary instrument waa actually an acoustic kit with lots of treament.

I think you might be right about Invisible Touch though, I remember his solo albums a little better for some reason in terms of drum sound.

Correct, gates are used, but there’s more:

Large amounts of compression with fast release using (this is key): the ROOM MICS.

Now you can find kits that are presampled which contain and emphasize the room mics samples – but you really must start there.

Compress these samples heavily with a fast release, and then use a gate on them.

If you use a real kit the same thing applies: ROOM MICS + COMPRESSION+GATES

A cheaper and somewhat cheesier way is to use a digital reverb on dryer samples and compress and gate them.

An even cheesier way is to use the digital reverbs that come with that gated reverb sound/algorithm so you could just go right out the box that way if you want.

Phil played a Gretch set with Concert Toms (ie. single headed) during the late 80\'s. If you have regular double headed Toms, then just take off the bottom heads. The posts above nailed the processing (ie. Gates and TONS of Compression).

Hope this helps!

in addition to the single head tom concept, in the studio, they mic\'ed each tom from the top and inside the shell (two mics each)

I think the sound Aqua us referring to is made by a Simmons electronic drum kit.

This site...
    is in German but there are a lot of pics

There are a few Simmons samples here...

Thank you all for your advice. I\'m quite surprised that so many people know so much about the \'genesis\' [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] of that sound.

However, having listened to the Simmons sounds, Marsdy has hit the nail on the head. THAT is the sound I\'m looking for. Thank you so much Marsdy.

NOW, does anybody know if I can buy a Simmons sample CD from anyone?

Thanks guys

I would look at soundsonline to see if they have some hits as part of the MegaDrums or some other techno house type collection. All you really need is one or two samples....I don\'t think they had much tonal difference in the velocities, and the sounds themselves were not samples but rather synthesized with white noise and other subtractive synth techniques.

Also, if they did use some sort of wave-sample, it was probably 8 or 12-bit (probably 8), but I don\'t think that they used samples at all (although for some reason I seem to remember seeing an EPROM slot on one....hmmm, I bet Eric Persing could answer that quite easily).

Thanks Midi
    Eric, as an officionado of that period, would you be able to shed any light? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum