• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quick Q for my Giga Pals :)

Share/Bookmark

Quick Q for my Giga Pals :)

When running GStudio...

Between, a HP w/512ram P3 975KHz WindowsME or a Dell, WindowsXP with an Intel® Celeron® processor at 1.8 GHz with 128 KB L2 cache/512 ram.

You would pick?
    And don\'t say a p4... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Building 3rd PC $$$

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Quick Q for my Giga Pals :)

Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    When running GStudio...

Between, a HP w/512ram P3 975KHz WindowsME or a Dell, WindowsXP with an Intel® Celeron® processor at 1.8 GHz with 128 KB L2 cache/512 ram.

You would pick?
    And don\'t say a p4... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Building 3rd PC $$$
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think the Dell would be the more forward-thinking choice. You might give up a few instruments loaded in GS2.0, but would be much better positioned to take advantage of GS3.0, and other apps as well.

Thank you, Bruce.

All is well I trust?

Question: Know of and good reviews on Vegas 4.0+DVD? Just thought I\'d sneak that in.

PS. This system would ONLY be for Giga.

1 PC for video editing
    1 PC for Giga

I\'d worry that the celeron\'s lack of FPU might be a problem for some of the features that giga 3.0 might have. (it doesn\'t have one right?)

for 2.5 the celeron would be my choice, I\'m getting 160 poly on a 1.3 gig Duron. So 1.8 should be just dandy.

Thanks King.

BTW... thanks for turning me on to Vegas.

I find myself going Vegas Video 4.0 more than Pro Tools. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    ...I\'m getting 160 poly on a 1.3 gig Duron.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You don\'t say...do you use it for Giga only, or do you also have the occassion to use other softsynths on there (like Atmosphere) ? Like either standalone or with some kind of Chainer / V-Stack app ? If so, how much softsynth power are you getting out of it ?

I\'m curious because I\'m thinking about building my 2nd Giga machine...I currently have an Athlon XP 1600 (or is it a 1800 ?) which is great...Since I\'m kind of looking to do it as economically as possible, I\'m wondering what\'s the minimum CPU I could get away with. Of course, with an eye toward the future (i.e. Giga 3.0) I should follow the \"build the fastest, most powerful thing I can afford\", but I\'m just weighing my options at this point.

Its a giga only machine. It works pretty well, I can hear the note stealing tho, so I dont try and hit the wall on it. Its great for the VSL performance set stuff right now.

Francis, yah 4.0 rocks, thenew scripting features look good. I bought it but haven\'t delved too dep yet, but you know me. When I do, I\'m gonna be cruising on that sucker.

I just built a P4 2.4 machine with 1 GB of 333 DDR RAM and an 80 GB Hard drive for just over $600 not including sound card. You should be able to build a comparable system with 2 hard drives for close to $700. Don\'t know how much the 2 machines you quoted are but I would definitely stay away from the HP machine.

Check out http://www.newegg.com for prices. The P4 2.4 boxed processor (with fan and 3 year warranty) is on sale for $164.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Thank you, Bruce.

Question: Know of and good reviews on Vegas 4.0+DVD? Just thought I\'d sneak that in.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think it totally rocks. I just got through mastering a DVD of a short film I mixed a couple of weeks ago. It came out perfect, as elegant as any commercially mastered DVD. Vegas 4 is sweet.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Thank you, Bruce.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think it totally rocks. I just got through mastering a DVD of a short film I mixed a couple of weeks ago. It came out perfect, as elegant as any commercially mastered DVD. Vegas 4 is sweet. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sounds great, Bruce.

Truth be told, I have no doubts about 4.0 but I would like to research the pros and cons of Vegas DVD VS. say, Ulead or DVDit. My gut tells my Vegas is gonna be King. (Not that King but King) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum