• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Movie About Song Sharking

Share/Bookmark

A Movie About Song Sharking

Here's a trailer of a movie that looks like a fun one to watch which is available on Amazon & iTunes as rentals. It's a take off of the song shark business that flourished for many years. Song sharks placed ads in magazines like Rolling Stone and claimed they were looking for song writers, composers and lyricist. They wanted to record and promote you words and music but the catch was that they wanted you to pay them for it. The quick way to the top! The fees could run from hundreds of dollars to several thousand dollars depending on how serious you were about the masterpiece that would make you rich and famous. They would even actually play your songs on the radio but it was likely a small radio station in the middle of nowhere playing them at 3:AM in the morning.

Some of the people in the movie were not told that it was spoof until after they were filmed.

Re: A Movie About Song Sharking

Dat one guy used to be in Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Here's a trailer of a movie that looks like a fun one to watch which is available on Amazon & iTunes as rentals. It's a take off of the song shark business that flourished for many years...]
    Super - Thanks for pointing this out, Phil. I love the trailer. There was a review quote onscreen comparing the film to Robert Altman's style, but before that came up, that was the comparison that had already popped in my head.

This looks to be at turns amusing and touching. It's pretty hard not to feel for those people nervously auditioning with their off-beat material, hoping to become rich and famous in the commercial world.

It makes me think of how the world is full of musically inclined people, creating their personal masterpieces that virtually nobody will ever hear - and how common it is for them to be writing things that most people wouldn't really enjoy even if they had the chance to listen. All those embarrassingly serious folk songs, rambling attempts at jazz, 12 tone monstrosities, long, drawn out imitations of every composer you can think of - and so on. The world is crammed with unknown, bad music (as well as known music which is also bad) - but which feeds the souls of the people creating it.

If this film manages to at least touch on the poignancy of its subject matter, besides just being funny - then it has the potential of being great. Art that reveals something truthful about the delicacy of the human condition is art that matters.

Thanks, Phil - Can hardly wait to see this.

Randy

I wanted to add that the movie probably centers more on talent scouts who get caught up in the scam.

Many years ago I actually responded to one of those song shark ads out of curiosity . I received a info brochure which sounded too good to be true. The real give away was the fact that the pictures of artists and dancers and such were touched up so that their faces were unrecognizable. The brochure went in the post office trash can where it belonged.

Later out of the blue I received a cassette and letter from a retired gentleman that probably got my address from the song sharks. He said he wanted me to listen to his song that they had recorded for about $600. It was well done and the female singer had a nice sweet, sexy sort of pandering voice but even I could tell it really had no commercial potential. But he was really proud of it and although I felt kind of sorry for him maybe he did get some part of what he was looking for.

Phil

Go Back to forum