• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Can we get realistic lead guitar yet?

Share/Bookmark

Can we get realistic lead guitar yet?

Do we keyboardists have access to some realistic electric guitar sounds yet?

Is anyone getting good results with clean samples and amp-sim plug-ins? Or something else?

I should have learned to play guitar during the time I\'ve waited for technology to give me some good sounds. :-)

Re: Can we get realistic lead guitar yet?

the problem I see with the sampling of such instruments is that they don´t have a sound commonly regarded as \"standard\". I mean, a good violin can have a characteristic sound which differs from others, but all good violins have common elements to their sounds.
    With electric guitars we´re talking differences based on many other components external to the guitar. This is the problem I see.
    There´s no such thing as THE electric guitar sound.

I can still see libs with \"bluesy\" or \"jazzy\" or \"classical rock\" or other standard sounds appearing. All very subjective though.

disregard

Originally posted by Netvudu:
    the problem I see with the sampling of such instruments is that they don´t have a sound commonly regarded as \"standard\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree. That\'s why I\'m wondering if it\'s going to have to be a combination of clean samples and real-time processing (Pod-like) plug-ins.

The problem with every attempt I\'ve heard is the total absence of legato ability. Every note has the same attack, destroying the illusion.

I\'ve tried running synth patches through my old Alesis GT...no deal. I\'ve considered buying a Line 6 Pod, but unless I know for sure I can pump something through it that will sound real, I don\'t want to do it.

To me THIS is the Holy Grail, not pianos or strings. :-)

Mitch, we have a library that does exactly what you\'re looking for and it\'s called Vintaudio\'s Giga Clean Electric Guitars, if you go on our site you\'ll find multiple demos and loads of information about the library.
    There\'s also the 4 star review from Sound on Sound and a demo made by the reviewer.
    If you also make a search on this forum you\'ll see threads by many happy users of the library.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Being a guitarist myself, I might be a bit biased, but I\'m also a sample producer, so here\'s my 2 cents:

The pickup on an electric guitar is as you might know made out of magnets with copper thread wired around it. When the steelstrings vibrates above the pickup, you will create an electric signal from the pickup. The output of the michrophone is monophonic and are made up of the sum of all the strings that are vibrating.
    The signal that reaches the amp are therefore a monosignal that are made up from the mish-mash created by several vibrating steel objects.

Once in the 70\'s I owned a synthguitar. A Roland. It had \"hexagon pick-ups\" that is, it had one small pickup per string. The synthisizer was then fed with six different signals, one per string, and processed separatly. It didn\'t sound like a guitar!
    The thing about guitars are that the sound is made out of just that mish-mash between signals, and if you sample a guitar, single notes, you can never make up a chord sounding like the real thing. Even if you feed it through a Marshall stack!

One other thing is that\'s there a big difference between a classical trained violinist and a electric guitar player. The electric guitar player probably are not bound to certain rules in the way a classical trained musician are when performing. (I\'m not saying that one is better then the other, just different approaches).
    When a classical trained violinist performs a written piece, he/she more or less plays what\'s written. When a electric guitar player, even a session player, performs a written piece, he probably is allowed more freedom when it comes to adding a personal touch to it, I also suspect that small glitches like stringscrapes, odd dull notes and feedback can pass because it\'s looked upon as personality rather then a step from what the composer originally has written.

Take an example, take Hendrix. He\'s considered one of the great, maybe THE greatest electric guitarists of all times. I don\'t think that even he, if he still was with us, could duplicate the solo from \"Hear my train a\'coming\" from \"Rainbow Bridge\" note per note.

What I\'m trying to say here is that electric guitar is sooooo hard because of two reasons:

1. The techincal aspect on how sound is formed.
    2. The way most electric gutarist play.

Believe me, I\'ve thought about this a lot, but I still haven\'t come up with a solution I would be happy with, but maybe if I get some more time.....

You may want to listen to some of the demos of the \"Vintage Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos\" on the demo page of our web site. www.bardstownaudio.com

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Originally posted by Franky:
    Mitch, we have a library that does exactly what you\'re looking for and it\'s called Vintaudio\'s Giga Clean Electric Guitars,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Those demos sound very nice. I wonder if you can get some shredding out of them with the right processing? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So, what are my options for real-time processing? Are there any software solutions for this, or do I need to go outboard?

I plan to hire guitarists for the work I need to do this spring, but I sure would love to have a realistic sound for myself.

Mitch, thanks for the nice comments [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A pod with the library sounds really great, i\'ve also put it directly in a amp, that works awesomely great.

Or, i put them to audio in Audio recorder and apply effects like Amplitube, Steinberg Plex or revalver.

I also use the library in Halion when i want to experiment with effects live or if you have a multiple in and out audio card, take 2 outs from GIGA and send them to 2 ins on my Layla24 so i can then apply real time effects in audio app.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

I think Franky\'s stuff sounds great for leads from the demos!

Its hard to say if it will do shred head stuff tho.

(I kind of doubt it, since that stuff tends to be fairly sloppy)

Go Back to forum