• Help

Topic: The perfect sampled jazz trio

Share/Bookmark

The perfect sampled jazz trio

Finally I\'ve put together samples for the perfect jazz trio:
    Piano: Grandioso Steinway D
    Bass: Larry Sayer Upright Acoustic Bass
    Drums: Samplehead\'s Peter Erskine Jazz Kit

Anybody who wants to do some serious jazz should get these samples.
    ...now if I could just get my Bill Evans chops together... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: The perfect sampled jazz trio

Ok so post a demo now! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ray, have you heard Spectrasonicss\' Trilogy Acoustic Bass? Where Larry Seyer\'s quite excellent sample can sound a little too \'classical\', Trilogy\'s bass is pure jazz band. Also, Michiel\'s Bosendorfer is a little brighter than the rather dark Steinway D, which I find suits my particular style. Finally, a little Atmosphere strings could really add some icing to the cake!

Looking forward to hearing some of your stuff ..
    Steve

And I have to add I have been extremely disappointed in the Peter Erskine library. Tne individual hits sound great,but there are not enough brushes, and almost no useful sets of loops, so it\'s all hand sequencing the drum parts (which I admit is not one of my strengths...)

Dasher

Thanks for all the feedback- I will have to check out Trilogy, though I must admit that I disagree with the assesment that the LS Bass sounds classical as the articulations are not a pizzicato that you would hear in classical music. Maybe you\'re referring to the tone of the instrument. For my style, I prefer the darker mellower tone of the Steinway since I prefer a softer lyrical type of jazz playing in the Bill Evans vein. However, after reading all the positive comments on the Bosendorfer, and seeing that there is a discount for registered Steinway owners, I ordered it last night. I think it may work well for more aggressive uptempo stuff.
    Soundsmith, I agree that the loops are not great, but I almost never use loops so it\'s the individual hits that I\'m after. I also am not crazy about the brushes but have plenty of good brush samples already (I like the wizzoo ones). I have a nie maple snare and for complicated snare brushwork I record that live. One of the things I like about the library is there are multiple hits for each drum so it sounds less machine-like to vary the hits and each drum has a rim hit. If you listen to most jazz drummers, they will occasionally catch a little rim when they\'re playing, particularly in fills and solos. What I do is trigger a rim hit simultaneously with the drum hit where it seems appropriate so you get a little of that real drummer \"sloppiness\". It adds a great deal of realism. Also the bass drum has articulations where the pedal is pressed and the beater is held against the head rather than released. Drummers often use this at the end of passages and it also adds realism. Finally, it is the ride cymbals that really make this set. I find most sampled ride cymbals are geared towards rock being more aggressive. A good ringing ride cymbal is essential for jazz and there\'s even a sizzle ride (rivets in the cymbal). You might want to consider getting some drum midi librarys like drumtrax as a starting point for getting away from loops. You can modify these files for your particular purpose, but they make a good starting point.
    As far as posting demos, I am currently practicing to get some chops back after a loooong layoff, but will be getting something out in a month or so. It\'s great to be able to practice with a drum and bass rather than just a metronome all the time. It\'s a great incentive.

Thanks for the good rim tip. It is the kind of thing that one knows from playing with a rhythm section for years but doesn\'t think of implementing when writing a drum part.

I dare say that when I play drums, I ALWAYS play the bass drum with the beater against the head. It\'s more common in rock drumming. Good to see that someone actually thought of that in the sampling world.

Ray, you make an excellent case for the PE lib. I just don\'t do drums worth a darn, and prefer to use either a live drummer or loops. And as none of the drummers I work with play the style I prefer for my original material, (and my ability to explain to a drummer what I really want ranks right up there with my ability to affect U.S. foreign policy,) I compose from loops. Then I will add percussion and trap kit hits to taste.

Dasher

Originally posted by Ray Lindsley:
    However, after reading all the positive comments on the Bosendorfer, and seeing that there is a discount for registered Steinway owners, I ordered it last night. I think it may work well for more aggressive uptempo stuff.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Ray,

Let me know what you think of Post\'s Bosen. I too love his Steinway. For brighter stuff I haven\'t been able to decide between Michiel\'s or Kip\'s. Thanks

Rob

Go Back to forum