• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reference piece for correct ambience, panning and ballance between instruments

Share/Bookmark

Reference piece for correct ambience, panning and ballance between instruments

Hi all!!

Could anyone recommend a good reference piece, and a recording by an excellent orchestra, so that I can make a midi mock-up? That way, I can set everything up for correct ambiance, panning and ballance between instruments. By A/Bing my Mock-up with the recording, I should end up with a good orchestral template for my future work.

The piece should showcase each section separately at some point, so I can learn to program each section\'s characteristic expression.

I think this would be a great excercise for anyone attempting to simulate an orchestra. Any thoughts??

PS: the piece should include difficult-to-emulate stuff, like fast string runs, etc... It will be great practice!
    PPS: thanks to all those that recommended all those books on orchestration and cointerpoint a couple of months back. I have been studying hard!

Re: Reference piece for correct ambience, panning and ballance between instruments

\'Holiday flight\' from Home Alone by John Williams or \'Blowing off Steam\' from Far and Away also by John Williams. I have the MIDI file of Holiday Flight if you need it as a guide. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m considering mocking these up myself. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

They\'re only about a minute long each so shouldn\'t take absolutely forever to mock up. Besides I wouldn\'t want to do more than one minute at a time of a John Williams piece - certainly not adventurous ones like this.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Reference piece for correct ambience, panning and ballance between instruments

Elgar\'s Enigma Variations is another nice orchestration study, with short contrasting movements and lots of range.

What is good about perhaps getting away from filmscores in the study is that a piece like Enigma Variations has been recorded by about every major orchestra in the world with every conceivable technical and musical interpretation. Hollywood recordings tend to come in one flavor and comparative interpretations are not too often available...and if they are, it\'s generally \"pops\" orchestras that are fairly over-the-top.

You can actually go buy a score to Enigma Variations and knock yourself out!! This will give you the advantage of performing each part instead of starting with a MIDI file. It\'s very difficult to \"bend\" a pre-existing MIDI file to a particular set of sampled sounds. What was an ideal performance on one sample library may sound like a bucket of slop on another, and fixing something like that is WAY tedious...and not often successful. Of course, you can listen and transcribe the parts, a fantastic exercise, but maybe not an exercise that addresses your current purpose.

Good luck. Check out the Elgar...London Symphony, among others, has made amazing recordings of the piece. My favorite was on vinyl, Angel, I believe. It may be reissued on CD.

OK, just found it (unbelievably). Yes, London Symphony, Sir Adrian Boult, Angel S-36799. Killer recording, they rip it up.

Yes you could mock up a classical piece like everyone else does of course....

I did indeed mean you to use the MIDI file as a guide and not as the basis for your mockup. You can buy the score for Far and Away which includes the part I mentioned. I\'ve an idea the Home Alone score will have that part as well but I\'m not definite.

I\'m sure you can get any classical score out form your local music library. Actually the \'Holiday Flight\' piece I mentioned is a classical work by Tchaikovsky called something like \'Russian Dance\'. Williams version is much better though but you should be able to mock it up if you get the classical score from your library as a guide. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I chose the pieces I did \'cos you say you want \'difficult to emultate stuff like fast string runs\'.

Double post. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Another thought for a piece to mock up would be the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. There are short internal movements that have significant woodwind and brass parts. For me that\'s the hard part getting proper woodwind and brass balance with the strings. I know there\'s a mini score for cheap because I have one.

Steve
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler
    aka Ettienne
    http://www.mp3.com/ettienne

Thanks everyone for your useful answers (sory for the lag, I was on a mini-holiday!) Hasen, do you think you could mail me that midi file? (Holiday flight)

my email is leonwillett@hotmail.com

Thanks again, everyone!

PS: I\'ll post an mp3 of the results when I\'m done [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bruce:

I\'ll check out the piece you recommend, too. I agree with you that \"bending\" a midifile to suit your sounds won\'t work in most cases, I would only use it as a guide.

see ya!

by the way, I enjoyed your poems!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Leon Willett:
    Bruce:

I\'ll check out the piece you recommend, too. I agree with you that \"bending\" a midifile to suit your sounds won\'t work in most cases, I would only use it as a guide.

see ya!

by the way, I enjoyed your poems!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haha...thanks Leon. Good luck.

Go Back to forum