• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonic Implants...

Share/Bookmark

Sonic Implants...

Not to kick a dead horse(since i see many Symphony posts in here already), but I was wondering how the Sonic Implants Symphonic Orchestra compares to the Garritan Library, if anyone has any opinions? Any input would be appreciated.

Daniel

Re: Sonic Implants...

Check out the Sonic Implant forum on this site.

I have GOS, SI, and Vienna. SI is by far my favorite tone wise. The natural ambience and placement of the inst. is really nice, and very effortless to place in a mix (I\'m hoping the same is true for QLSO). The Vienna perf. is outstanding and compliments SI well. I use some of the gr. detache and port samples from GOS, but definately place this lib 3rd behind SI and Vienna.

Colin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I wrote an article describing these two libraries on www.prorec.com

best regards,
    Bruce

SI all the way, IMO. Garritan just doesn\'t have the emotional character SI has.

Here are two short MP3s I did with SI recently.

short strings demo
    The Morrow Mockup

Could someone post an mp3 of the same exact MIDI file played by GOS and SI?

I think that would be a good comparison test.

Originally posted by midphase:
    Could someone post an mp3 of the same exact MIDI file played by GOS and SI?

I think that would be a good comparison test.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I doubt it! Attacks/velocity levels etc. of the samples are all different and so is the controller information. If one would just blindly swap libraries one would sound good, and one would not. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    I wrote an article describing these two libraries on www.prorec.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nice photo there, Bruce. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I found in writing that article that I couldn\'t find any blanket statement about emotional character when comparing SI and Garritan string libraries. That has not been my observation. They have different emotional character, not more or less. I tried to express an overall emotional flavor for each, and found I spent so many words qualifying it that I determined it to be untrue. If anything, the Garritan collection tends to be a little glossier timbred, and the Sonic Implants strings tend to be a bit more woody/rosin timbred, but even that observation gets contradicted on a patch by patch basis. They are just different, yet also sometimes very similar. I find myself experimenting with different combinations depending on the context, and always coming up with a different result. But I also tend to write orchestrally but not symphonically, if that makes sense. I don\'t generally \"seat\" a full orchestra as a precursor, building up a custom orchestra as I go along instead.

Re: the photo...

That photo has a funny story. I call it my \"sitting in a coffeeshop in Brussels wondering why the hell I left Amsterdam\" face.

I think you should do a search for this very topic, its been covered about 10 times.

Go Back to forum