• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: CompUSA has 200 gig WD drive for $149

Share/Bookmark

OT: CompUSA has 200 gig WD drive for $149

CompUSA has a 200 gig Ultra/ATA 100 Western Digital hard drive on sale for $149 after rebate and an instant discount. I got one tonight and am copying my sample drive to it. It was 30 gigs and was very full.

It even includes a free PCI Promise controller for computers that don\'t support drives that size.

-- Martin

Re: OT: CompUSA has 200 gig WD drive for $149

The WD drives circa 1998 would fail on schedule after about two or three years. We had many, many machines with those disks here at work, and they were dropping like flies. The drives they make today are completely reworked designs and don\'t have the same failure mode.

The scary thing is that each generation of HD uses different/updated components and may be designed by different teams of engineers. Who knows which brand may design/build a bad model/batch? Especially if the failure doesn\'t show up out of the box.

I should buy far more hard drives and hire a robot to do my backups.

From years of personal experience, Western Digital makes crap, they know they make crap, and they\'re changing their policies to reduce the amount of crap they have to deal with after they push it off on us. They just dropped all the warranties on their ATA drives from three years down to one so when their crap drives inevitably crap out one year and a day later, your left sittin on the crapper with your crappy crap drive. And believe me, they will crap out.

But before they do, they\'ll start making this intolerable, oscillating high pitched whine after about three months of use because WD uses crappy bearings in the drive. That\'s reason enough alone to avoid them.

And if, by the grace of all things holy, you\'re lucky enough to have your crap drive crap out within you\'re warranty period, Western Digital will replace it with an even crappier \'refurbished\' drive! How crappy is that?? I don\'t know about you, but there\'s two things in life I *don\'t* want refurbished...one is a pacemaker, the other is my hard drive. I can\'t tolerate crap like that.

I don\'t care how low prices go on WD drives, you\'re still paying good green for bad crap. Go with Seagate. Fluid bearing, ultra quiet, and they\'re built to endure. A WD drive lasts about as long as an average teenage boys first sexual experience...which is about a minute thirty seconds. So, to recap, WD = crap.
    -Hudson

Hudson, your post is HILARIOUS, and I must agree with you - I have had nothing but trouble with WD drives since the beginning. I bought one starting like probably 97. Since then, I\'ve had to replace it (under warranty) every year and a half to a year. Well, my NEWEST one, less than a year old, has finally decided to begin to fail by making awful clicking sounds. I give up, I\'m not even going to bother shipping it back, it\'s more trouble than it\'s worth so I went to Fry\'s and bought a 200GB hard drive. I paid $200 when I got my 40GB drive and it\'s not really even big enough for what I need it for. So... good riddance Western Digital!!

I have actually found that I\'ve had good experiences with Maxtor drives, however. I heard they used to be terrible, but I\'ve had one for two or three years and it has served me very well and I am now a supporter of those. I am also a big supporter of external Firewire800 hard drives... take your pick [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chad

Well damn it. I just bought a 60 Gig Western Digital 2 weeks ago. I guess I\'ll back up often.

And I was having such a nice day... :-(

I just wanted to clarify...when I say crap, I mean crap. My main gripe with the WD drives is extremely poor bearings that start making ample noise after a limited time.

To put this in perspective, I\'m on my third crap 60gig and my fourth crap 40 gig. My first 60 that started up with that incessant whining went back, and the replacement (refurbished) 60 gig died with no warning whatsoever. The first two 40\'s started in with the whining, so they went back...the third started to sound like a coffee grinder crunching metal shavings outta the blue. The current 40 gig replacement, in it\'s second month, is already starting in with the whining noise, and yes, it\'s also refurbished crap.

The only WD drive I have that hasn\'t had any whining problems in over a year is my 120gig special edition. Of course, now that I typed that, it will most likely start squealing first thing in the morning. But WD even dropped the warranty on those to one year now, so I aint taking anymore abuse from them. Not to mention you have to pay to ship it to them each and every time. And do you have any idea how much time I\'ve wasted transferring the data from crap drive to crap drive all those times?

This isn\'t from misuse or abuse either. I switched out power supplies just to make sure it wasn\'t some sort of freakish voltage issue, and even put two case fans blowing directly on the WD drives to keep them nice and cool. Didn\'t change a thing. They\'re still dropping off like flies on, well, crap. This is most likely because they are....everyone in unison, now...crap!!

I just didn\'t want anyone here saying I was here basing this on hearsay and naysayers...
    -Hudson

Not to bum you out, but Fry\'s has the 250GB for the same price! Either way, a killer deal. One thing I didn\'t know, you need a new ATA-6 Firewire case to see the entire capacity on a Mac - otherwise it will only see up to 137GB. I wasn\'t aware of this at the time - just FYI.

Jeff

Originally posted by mschiff:
    CompUSA has a 200 gig Ultra/ATA 100 Western Digital hard drive on sale for $149 after rebate and an instant discount. I got one tonight and am copying my sample drive to it. It was 30 gigs and was very full.

It even includes a free PCI Promise controller for computers that don\'t support drives that size.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is a good drive. I was warned that WD drives were not high quality, but I\'ve been using two of these for over a year now without a hitch. For that price, it would be great for backups, too.

I worked in a computer store for a few years and am still in the tech sector. I have heard bad things about every brand of drive. I currently have some older WD drives, but I also have IBM (Deathstars), Maxtors and Seagates. They\'ve all performed flawlessly so I guess I\'ve been lucky. They are all pretty quiet, but the Seagate\'s are by far the quietest.

Statisticians will tell you that until you have a sample size of about 30 your sample set isn\'t large enough to draw generalized conclusions. So Hudson if you\'ve had 30 WD drives go bad on you I feel for you and will respect your opinion, though I have not shared your experience.

For the record virtually every ATA (EIDE) drive now comes with only a 1 year warranty. This happened a few years ago when ATA arrays started getting popular. ATA drives just aren\'t designed to be run 24 hours a day. I believe only WD and Seagate offer a few drives with longer warranties (please correct me if I\'m wrong).

The current drives with fluid bearings are both more reliable and quieter than previous designes. Anyone who\'s purchased a WD drive recently should be fine, just don\'t work it too hard when it\'s hot. For the record I really prefer the new Seagates.

Good luck.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

Check again...WD changed the warranty on the Special Edition drives as of Oct. 1. If you purchased one before then you still have the 3 year coverage, after and it\'s down to one. And like I said, the one drive that hasn\'t acted up yet was my 120 SE, but based on this track record I\'ve lost all confidence in WD as a manufacturer. They\'re in the business of making disposable drives. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me...um...7 or 8 times, well, granted I\'m a moron, but I\'m officially done with them.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know, Hudson. I\'ve got a pile of WD800JB\'s and WD1200JB\'s, and they\'ve been completely flawless. Not one speck of trouble. FWIW, the WD 60\'s are much older technology. The warranty on the JB drives is still three years (at least the last time I checked), and it pays to go with the larger cache, anyway. The price difference isn\'t that great.
    Lee Blaske [/QB][/QUOTE]

Go Back to forum