• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Zonealarm and other topics....

Share/Bookmark

Zonealarm and other topics....

I\'ve recently started experiencing some trouble with gigastudio. Specifically, when I exceed 40 or 50 notes of polyphony it seems giga begins shifting between instruments I\'ve loaded at random. That is to say, I could be holding a mf G4 in my violas and then suddenly, it\'s fff french horns. I recently installed Zone Alarm and now I\'m wondering if the mere presence of this software could be causing this calamity. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Zonealarm and other topics....

Hey Chris,
    I have had the same type of problem.
    Mine seems to be conected to my sequencer. I can load the instruments in giga then play my sequencer and it will change around my instruments to tracks layout in giga. I had the same problem when I was goofing with my midi key board. If I changed sounds on my key board it would change around my instrument to track assignments . I think this has something to do with sending data. The sequencer I use is Genie soft Overture. I find that if I choose an instrument other than none in overture it doesn\'t try reassigning a loaded instrument in giga.
    So yes, I am stabing around in the dark, but your problem may be midi data being sent to giga .
    Are there any other programs you are using with giga? Someone may have a better answer for you.
    Hope my abstract advice helps. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S.
    After you get your giga working properly, maybe you can put up more demo\'s on your site?
    I check back ocasionally to see if you have any new ones. I still listen to Battle of the empire now and then. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It is a good piece.
    L8R.

I can load the instruments in giga then play my sequencer and it will change around my instruments to tracks layout in giga. I had the same problem when I was goofing with my midi key board. If I changed sounds on my key board it would change around my instrument to track assignments . I think this has something to do with sending data.

Reponse
    I think what may be happpening is your keyboard is sending midi program change to giga ,causing the program number alocasion to change.
    I had the same problem .
    Gigastudio does not have a function to stop recieving midi program change.
    There are a few ways to deal with this problem .
    First you can disable this funtion at the keyboard.
    My old Roland MB300 doesnt have the ability to disable
    midi program change but I found that some of the upper user banks dont send midi program change , so I use patches in those banks ,were I can still access program number/patches in Gigastudio without changing there assgned number.

One more option is to manualy load samples in the loaded instrument pane and load them into the midi channel in the order that you choose instead of letting gigastudio randomly assign the to midi channel of it\'s choice.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I would definitely NOT run Zone Alarm on an audio production machine.

What is your internet situation that you would need Zone Alarm? If your machine is connected directly to a DSL/Cable Modem, I\'d suggest getting a hardware router (Even if you have only one machine, it will provide network address translation so that the internet isn\'t \"talking\" directly to your computer).

Um, I might be totally off here, but isn\'t it possible that one of your midi devices is inadvertently sending program changes to your sequencer without you realizing it? ie., if I change the program patch on my Korg, it can change the actual patch in gigastudio depending on how you have it setup. Something worth checking into.

I use zonealarm and never had any of the probs you\'re describing. It\'s apples and spare ribs...ZOnealarm has nothing to do with midi info in any way shape or form.
    -Hudson

Edit: Oops...just read what Kenn said...same idea.

Program changes doesn\'t sound like the right area and this is why I think so: It only happens when the polyphony gets above 50 to 60 or so. Moreover, it is accompanied by a lot of popping which makes me think it\'s a data flow problem.

I regularily image my drive and when I go back to an image that has worked in the past I still get this problem. Here is my system for those who doubt it\'s awesome power:

PIV 2.4 Ghz
    1gig ram
    Delta 66
    Three Maxtor hard drives(Sytem, audio, & samples)
    Nvidia TNT 2 grahpics card
    AX4TII Mobo

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If this was a previously working machine, which went bad after installing Zone Alarm, that\'s a start. Maybe do a reinstall of the latest Giga build, set everything back up fresh? Is it possible your data drive is beginning to crap out? You can download Disk Bench from Prorec.com and clock the drive to see if it\'s running slow.

Well it wasn\'t immediately after I installed Zone Alarm but that was one of two things that I changed. I recently got a new hard drive after my old one died due to a virus which is why I now use Zone Alarm and do regular virus scans.

Alright. Here is the readout from my sample drive:

Timer Check = 991 (should be near 1000)
    CPU Check = 50.08%(should be near 50%)
    CPU index (relative to a Pro 200 Mhz) = 3.262284
    Open = 0 ms
    Write = 25898 ms, 9.88 MB/s, CPU = 0.98%
    Flush = 0 ms
    Rewin = 0 ms

And my system drive(The one I replaced). Note that I\'ve partitioned it into two. One half is the half I image and the other is where I save all my work.

Timer Check = 992 (should be near 1000)
    CPU Check = 50.24%
    CPU index (relative to Pro 200 MHZ) = 3.266263
    Open = 0 ms
    Write = 5708ms, 44.85 MB/s, CPU = 3.73%
    Flush = 0ms
    Rewin = 0ms
    Read = 7561 ms, 33.86 MB/s, CPU = 3.03%
    Close = 0 ms
    BlockSize = 131072, MB/s = 11.39, Tracks = 135.43, CPU = 3.80%
    BlockSize = 65536, MB/s = 12.40, Tracks = 147.40, CPU = 3.67%
    BlockSize = 32768, MB/s = 6.50, Tracks =77.33, CPU = 2.66%
    BlockSize = 16384, MB/s = 4.98, Tracks = 59.15, CPU = 2.78%
    BlockSize = 8192, MB/s = 4.19, Tracks = 49.82, CPU = 3.03%
    BlockSize = 4096, MB/s = 3.71, Tracks = 44.12, CPU = 3.55%

Whew! That\'s a lotta typin\'.

I have something to add. I was loading Sam\'s Horn sustains and twenty minutes went by with the bar being only filled halfway. Giga was still running in the program manager.

I don\'t think words can express my frustration right now.

Thanks in advance....

Been running Zone Alarm with Giga and Sonar on 1 machine with no problems here.

Go Back to forum