• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Amazing free cello VI

Share/Bookmark

Amazing free cello VI

Hey everyone! I'm still around, just busy with school and not much time for music. I don't quite remember how I stumbled across this, but I found an absolutely FANTASTIC free cello a little while back that I would like to share here.

http://www.asinusadlyram.com/pocketBlakus/

Here's a demo:

https://soundcloud.com/blakus-mfm/bl...-with-a-little

The creator of this instrument is currently working on a full, payed version of it, and the early demos have been stunning. The free version alone is probably the single best cello VI I've heard. Definitly worth the time it takes to download it.

I hope you find this useful in your compositions!
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Re: Amazing free cello VI

That really does sound super fine, arguably as good as the late, lamented Garritan Gofriller Cello.

Bummer it's only for the expensive Halion sample player, or the even more expensive Kontakt. Drat.

Randy

I agree, it's rather unfortunate that it's only for those two players. However you can use it in the demo version of the kontakt, which works for a while. That's what I've been doing. Yes, it would be a bit of a pain, but you could work around it and still be able to use the instrument at no cost to your self.

You should check out his other cello demos. The newer ones of the beta product are spectacular. Makes me wish I had the equipment to make cool sampled instruments like this. User made material is always the best, especially in cases like this, where the users is proficient in the instrument they are sampling.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Thank you so much Michael!

I love the sound of the cello, especially in the lower registers, so I listened to the demo...wow....beautiful, rich timbres.
    I've downloaded it, so when I get a bit more work out of the way, I'm going to have some fun.

Thanks again!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    ...you can use it in the demo version of the kontakt, which works for a while. That's what I've been doing. Yes, it would be a bit of a pain, but you could work around it and still be able to use the instrument at no cost to your self...
    That's excellent advice, Michael. I've worked that way in the current Kontakt Player a few times with various free instruments. You can work around things and get use out of them.

For the uninitiated, the current Kontakt Player- (is it 5 now?- something like that) - will play 3rd party instruments, like this superb cello, but only in "demo mode." After a short time, the instrument stops functioning. But you can re-load, and keep working some more. If you're in the habit of bouncing MIDI tracks to audio, that can work fine for you. Using this cello as an example, you would work up your cello line, perhaps using a stand in GM instrument, then with the real instrument loaded, bounce the track down before KP times you out.

Thanks again, Michael - It really is amazing, this cello.

Randy

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the cello. I was having so much fun just doodling around with it on my keyboard, I had to share it.

That's how I've been using it. Just work out your tracks with some other cello, and then play this (cut into sections if necessary) and you can piece together the recorded WAV files to make the complete piece after.

Considering how high quality the instrument is, and that it's free to do this, I think the slight inconvenience is well worth it.

I was looking at some of his other stuff and came across this:

https://soundcloud.com/blakus-mfm/blakuscello-testfiles

Pretty amazing sampling going on here. It's really great that he's made such a high quality version of the instrument free to use.

Twitter

Soundcloud

I had no luck with the 1.6 Kontakt version that is on the front page with Kontakt 5.1 which is the full full version.

The 1.5 archive Kontakt version does work.

I did some comparisons and pocketBlakus does sound more realistic than the solo cellos from my full orchestra libraries although one library solo cello had a nice legato to staccato feature without the need of key switching.

I made a quick comparison mp3 between pocketBlakus and LASS First Chair Cello to listen to. They both have the same reverb and legato is turned on. It was the same file using the mod wheel on both. I did give the first and second to last notes on the pocketBlakus more attack as it was needed. Also the LASS Cello has a five full step higher range.

pocketBlakus first and then the LASS Cello.

Remember that pocketBlakus is free and LASS First Chair is not inexpensive.

pocketBlakus has been updated to ver. 1.6

The Cello Test

Phil

Phil,

I just loaded the 1.6 Kontakt version and it's working with my Kontakt 5.1

It comes up as samples missing, but I browse to the samples folder and then they load. Once it found them, I saved the instrument in the options dialogue in Kontakt and it's fine now.

I'd try again, maybe it was a glitch?
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Phil,

I just loaded the 1.6 Kontakt version and it's working with my Kontakt 5.1

It comes up as samples missing, but I browse to the samples folder and then they load. Once it found them, I saved the instrument in the options dialogue in Kontakt and it's fine now.

I'd try again, maybe it was a glitch?
    Yes, now I have it. Browsing for files didn't work but folders did.

Thanks yjoh!

Phil

Glad it's working!

I've listened to the cello test, back and forth a few times. It's hard but...I think...I like the pocketBlakus better, especially the lower registers. Thanks for putting that up, it was good to hear both as a comparasion, even though I don't have LASS
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Go Back to forum