• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Jazz Guitar Sample CD

New Jazz Guitar Sample CD

Hi there,

SampleQuest is a newly formed company looking to produce products for the Giga format. We would like to know if there is a demand for a Jazz Guitar library based on the L5.......please get back to us with your comments. Everything is in place to move on this in the very near future, but as our first release we would like to know how hi the demand would be for this instrument before moving to the recording stage. Thanks for your time and we look forward to your comments.

Re: New Jazz Guitar Sample CD

Oh please, oh please, oh please! That is what I\'ve been looking for. There are some wonderful sampled guitars already in Giga format, but none of them have \'the sound\' I am looking for. I spent seven years with an excellent jazz guitarist (Bill Courtial) who played L5 (through many different amps-he owned a music store-but always with a soft, long-delay Echoplex(!) and the sound of that particular combo resonates in my brain...

Keep us posted with the website or email me if you need beta help.

Sharmy - thats unfair. I would love a jazz guitar library - but I think people need a hardcore donkeyarsekickin guitar library even more. We dont need static riffs. But playable heavy-drippin panned multisessions of heavy stuff, so we can create our own nasty riffs etc.

That being said jazzguitar is a nasty way to go. Its so expressive and the results so far havent been too convincing, if you ask me. So unless you are a Pat Metheny in sampling - I would suggest you pick the hardcore guitar style instead. I am pretty sure (looking at this forum) that the demand is way higher for heavy stuff, then jazz.

Love - Chris

Demand may be heavier, [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but who would you rather have knocking at your door at 3AM complaining his instrument was out of tune, Larry Carleton or some skinhead death-metal guitarist? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

But seriously, I believe it would be way easier to create a good smooth-jazz or contemporary-jazz guitar than a heaavily distorted rock/alternative sound. There is a lot more variation from artist to artist, even just because of FX box selections. I think great power rock guitar needs to be done as a physical model, not as a plain sample. (Also, I need a jazz guitar, I don\'t need a rock sound-I can do that with Nick\'s Strat and a Pod.

I dont agree. Jazz guitar is way more advanced then power rock. The techniques and variations are impossible to redo in samplelibs. Thats why it has never been done. But the main reason for going power-rock-lib is due to demand. I will bet a million that a power rocked guitar lib will sell 3-4 times as much as a jazz library.

Honestly. Jazz is cool. But for trailers, movies, games, what-have-you - heavy sliced chords are way more used.

Love - Chris

That would be awesome!!!!!!

Chris, I understand what you are saying, but I disagree.

My three top problems with power rock guitar samples:

Attacks: every lib I own with fuzz guitar samples, you cannot play fast, the pick attacks step on each other. I\'ve tried editing the samples to eliminate the attack for a more legato phrasing, it sounds like crap.

Polyphony: C and G played together through fuzz sound nothing like C thru fuzz mixed with G thru fuzz. The FX need to be added after the chord, not before. This means a library with all possible intervals, which is quite possible, but NOT playable. So you begin with the unprocessed sounds, which leads to...

Sustain: Once you play a lib like Nick\'s 56 Strat into a fuzztone, there is NO way to create a feedback loop, so the note decay is limited to the longest you could get from a sustained unamplified note, if you add loop to the sample, you lose the timbre shift from the string.

I want to PLAY my instruments, not compose \'ad lib\' solos for them. The users on this forum are primarily composers, and separately-tracked sample articulations are great for that kind of work, but I improvise, then rewrite if need be, and that approach does not work for lead-style playing.
    With a jazz-style guitar, certainly there are issues with articulations, but I have had lots of compliments ono ohow much a solo sounded like a guitar (and this with a Roland XP-80!) Granted, they don\'t know what they\'re missing, but that is the point, innit? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Sharmy, thanks for the offer. Your playing is certainly up to the caliber I need, but that\'s not really my point. I have several reasonably local guitarists I can call on (in fact, I have net access to my former guitarist, if it came to that. We have talked about collaborating on some projects, and may yet do that.)

I just want a guitar library of the quality of Kip\'s, with the more contemporary timbre. Because I have one guiding philosophy;

Please, mother, I\'d rather do it myself! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My point is what I need and what this new publisher can sell.

If you guyz honestly believe that:

A. Expressive Jazz guitar can be sampled and replayed with luck.
    B. Jazz guitar libs will sell better then hardrock power guitar libs.

Then you belong to another universe then the Milkway.

My point is. I - and pretty many users - wants hardcore libs so we can make nasty riffs - and that a newborn samplecompany should get a decent earning - and you dont get that by going jazz. Look at income on jazzlabels. : )

Love - Chris

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

well maybe its not about selling more, but more about if the demand is worth the time of development.

I personally would like a JAzz lib more than Heavy, only because I can do the heavy stuf fon my own [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , and my jazz chops are not up to par anymore.

I could actually use it on an upcoming project....

well unlessI decide to go live [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum