• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Well Tempered Moods

Share/Bookmark

Well Tempered Moods

Moods can change rapidly and unpredictably. This is an attempt to catch these changes in brief musical phrases, trying to transmit these feelings and thoughts to the listener in a non program musical way. Let's call it expressionism (although that might be too loaded as an art issue).
    I composed the 'Moods' some two years ago for chamber ensemble. I've rewritten some parts and added a full string ensemble for this version.
    For the first time, I've used the VSL SE strings in an orchestra. There is room for improvement as to balance and colour. Please feel free to comment on this.

Instruments:
    • piccolo (LSO - Notion)
    • bass flute (GPO)
    • clarinet (LSO - Notion)
    • Vibraphone (LSO - Notion)
    • Piano (GPO)
    • percussion (LSO - Notion
    • Strings (VSL SE 1)
    Compression and equalising: Audacity

Well Tempered Moods

Enjoy the listen!

Max

Re: Well Tempered Moods

Hello Max,

This piece is very nice in that it does as you say, quickly shifts moods. You do open a can of worms in saying that you present the ideas in a non program musical way. Yes, there is no story attached (Program Music), but the program idea you are presenting are moods, shifting moods, that's the program. You leave it to the listener to determine what moods and how they shift thus making it an abstract piece left to the listener to figure out. This piece is well done and sounds like a sound-scape piece to me. I love the delicacy of the piece and its moodiness.

Question, since this is a Garritan Forum, why not the complete use of the Garritan instruments? The Garittan Strings are marvelous as well as the Vienna Symphonic Library. The Garritan woodwinds also have a certain charm. I'm just wondering, its not a complaint. This piece would sound good no matter what instruments you used.

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Yo Max! This is a great idea for a project. For some reason, I often thought of different types of brush strokes on a canvas. Maybe a sweeping stroke and then a soft watercolor, a jagged lightning type of motion, etc. I enjoyed you efforts here. Thanks for this. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Hello Max,

This piece is very nice in that it does as you say, quickly shifts moods. You do open a can of worms in saying that you present the ideas in a non program musical way. Yes, there is no story attached (Program Music), but the program idea you are presenting are moods, shifting moods, that's the program. You leave it to the listener to determine what moods and how they shift thus making it an abstract piece left to the listener to figure out. This piece is well done and sounds like a sound-scape piece to me. I love the delicacy of the piece and its moodiness.

Question, since this is a Garritan Forum, why not the complete use of the Garritan instruments? The Garittan Strings are marvelous as well as the Vienna Symphonic Library. The Garritan woodwinds also have a certain charm. I'm just wondering, its not a complaint. This piece would sound good no matter what instruments you used.

Best regards,
    Bill
    I guess you're right, Bill, but I wanted to exercise with the VSL strings. The main reason I didn't use the Garritan woodwinds is, that they didn't function well here. (There is a lot of dynamic difference and for one reason or another, it didn't work out with Notion the program I use to note down the score). I like the Garritan instruments and I use them continuously, but for once not this time... And thanks for listening and commenting.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ...Let's call it expressionionism...
    This is thoroughly captivating, Max - Good heavens I love it so much. The composition is exciting, the rendering so nice.

I pulled that quote out because I think it's definitely Impressionism, not Expressionism.

Thank you so much.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    This is thoroughly captivating, Max - Good heavens I love it so much. The composition is exciting, the rendering so nice.

I pulled that quote out because I think it's definitely Impressionism, not Expressionism.

Thank you so much.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your comment. It means a lot to me.
    As to the im-/expressionism, I didn't mean the art period or style. I only meant that I was trying to catch my personal impressions and transfer them to other persons (hoping they would have the same impressions). In that regard, I EXpress my feelings, I pass them through to you and every listener. I didn't want to classify the piece in some aesthetic period. I hope I made it somewhat clearer now (this is difficult to translate accurately).

And some additional comment to the piece itself. It was originally designed for the annual composition contest at Udine (Italy) as a chamber music composition. But obviously I didn't understand the goal of the contest: they were mainly searching contemporary music (whatever that may mean) with electronic parts in it and with a high experimental level in the other parts. In short: a 'normal score' as mine just reached the final selection, but that was it. "Too common, nothing renewing (i.e. dull)". The jury didn't even comment nor motivate their decisions. Winners were mainly Italians (7 out of 10). Moreover, I had to pay 75$ to participate (440 compositions were sent in). That was the first and very likely the last contest I've done. And they made every participant sign a contract to give up all rights for further publication or performance... Now I see that it 'stinks'.
    But the good people of NS forum show a broad interest and appreciation. Thank God (and you all) for that!

Max

Let's call it impress- ononism.
    Every time you've finished with a layer of moods, there's another one, and another one, another one...
    I like onions.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Let's call it impress- ononism.
    Every time you've finished with a layer of moods, there's another one, and another one, another one...
    I like onions.
    Thank you Fabio. But I think the weather is going to be very windy...

I thought it was very good Max. Musical idea after idea.

I particularly enjoyed it where the piano is being discordant with the other instruments.

It takes you on a wonderful musical journey.

I hope the contest was on the up and up. $75 is an investment but they must have to pay the musicians that perform the compositions and the judges also and on and on.

Your Well Tempered Moods was a real winner for me!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I thought it was very good Max. Musical idea after idea.

I particularly enjoyed it where the piano is being discordant with the other instruments.

It takes you on a wonderful musical journey.

I hope the contest was on the up and up. $75 is an investment but they must have to pay the musicians that perform the compositions and the judges also and on and on.

Your Well Tempered Moods was a real winner for me!

Phil
    Thanks Phil,

There was no performance at all. None of the compositions were performed. Only the final finalists get a free recording, but following the contract, the authors lose every right of production, score editing and cd selling... The jury must be paid of course, but there still is the city of Udine who supports the contest and the Italian region who organises. I receive invitations from all over Europe for free composition contests (alas mostly out of my abilities, mainly for bands).

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast