• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Studiologic users, are you happy...

Share/Bookmark

Re: Studiologic users, are you happy...

Only downside is that I get an occasional random stream of cc 1 data being sent out when the mod wheel is stationary in the mid range of its travel.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Man, I get that, its a right pain! I\'ve never really bothered to work out if there\'s something I could do about it though. And now I\'m about to sell my Fatar to buy an Oberheim controller keyboard with more comprehensive MIDI spec - in particular savable patches for recalling in live use.

Apart from this one thing, however (and I don\'t know if its common to all keyboards), my SL-880 has been a great performer. It an excellent action (although I DO suspect I might prefer playing orchestral sounds on a less weighted keyboard). Its master controller functions are limited but pretty intuitive to use. And I\'ve never had a thing go wrong with it.

I have noticed, since I\'ve been looking into getting a more advanced master controller, that several other models seem to have a sturdier casing than the Fatars. They\'re a bit plasticky and seem to \"move\" slightly when you lift them around, whereas the Oberheim for example is solid metal and gives the impression that every component is welded in place and is gonna stay that way. I bought the Fatar for studio use only and have never gigged it, so it hasn\'t mattered, but I\'m not sure if I\'d recommend one as a gigging keyboard.

What is actually the difference between the normal and the pro version?

I like mine too (990pro). Yeah I get the cc1 too, no biggie. This thing should\'ve been black though. why
    gray-ish blue-ish? Stupid.... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don\'t know what\'s the diff......

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'ve had my SL-880 for five years, and no problems at all. They all have CC1 jitter...annoying but mostly harmless. People like to dis Fatar keyboards, but you have to pay a LOT more to get a significantly better controller. You can pay more and get a lot LESS controller. So I think it\'s a pretty good investment. I use mine live. I have a padded soft case, not major protection by a long shot, but it has held up well.

Studiologic users, are you happy...

...with your purchase? Especially the SL-880 looks nice but is it fun to play woodwinds or brass on weighted keys? How about the longevity of their products? Good or bad experiences welcome.

Thanks for your comments.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I\'ve got the SL990 and it\'s great. Nice and heavy action. I don\'t find it a problem to play other things besides piano, once you get used to it. It seems solid enough - I\'m pretty happy with the purchase.

Hope that helps - Jeff

I\'m pretty happy with my SL990 Pro. I\'ve not had a problem playing brass and woodwind parts although I\'m not the greatest keyboard player in the world. Surprisingly for a weighted keyboard, I find it really nice for playing percussion. Only downside is that I get an occasional random stream of cc 1 data being sent out when the mod wheel is stationary in the mid range of its travel.

The Pro version has pitch and mod wheels.

I\'ve had my SL-880 for 5-6 years. It hasn\'t failed me.

I don\'t use it live just in the studio.

I\'ve used the Fatar/StudioLogic SL 1100 for some time now. It\'s a wonderful midi controller and I really enjoy it! Very good \"piano-type\" feel and lots of useful features. Yea, I would recommend it highly. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Go Back to forum