• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help me spend money..... please!

Share/Bookmark

Help me spend money..... please!

No seriously, I need some advice!

I\'m trying to reorganize and buy smart. I trust you guys and you\'ve been where I\'m at so...

I will have $6,000 to spend for my giga set up. But! I need an 88 key controller and have minimal Orchestral libs (nothing good anyway). Basically I have nothing.

I\'m also considering selling my EMU E4XT (probably will), and my Mackie HDR24/96. Do you think it wise to sell the HDR and buy another MAC to run DP3 etc. (using a dual 500 now) I could maybe get $2,300 for the HDR. I\'m wondering if it\'s even worth doing or will it cost me more money to do so. The reason I\'m thinking of doing this is because I have a D8B and my I/O is maxed out with this HDR and the Digi001 (using it as a sound card for DP3) I just don\'t see how I\'m gonna route the giga and everything else, so?

I dunno, what would you guys do if you were me?

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Help me spend money..... please!

I would consider getting one of those Studiologic controllers for about $600 for 88 keys.

I would also consider getting a mid-line Dual 1.25ghz G4 with 2 Gigs of RAM, a fast audio hard drive and run Logic and EXS on it. I would purchase VSL for EXS and there you go!

Keep your computer clutter to a minimum.

For a keyboard, consider looking at the Kurzweil SP88x which is available in a reconditioned version for around $700.

I don\'t concur that you should get a Mac with Logic/EXS24 and VSL because ultimately you\'re going to have the same problem everyone else has - running out of RAM.

I think you\'d be wiser to get a separate Giga computer (see what we\'re doing at www.truespec.com), then with VSL, order the regular set and look at getting the EXS update. This would then give you the best of both worlds.

http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ilio/vsl.shtml

The approach for the VSL update to EXS was posted at one time on the VSL site. So if you\'re interested I\'d be glad to check it out for you.

I think you have plenty of budget to put a killer rig together. I agree with everyone that a single super Mac isn\'t going to cut it for everything. I\'d sell the Mackie, and run a dual Mac with Logic and EXS (for simple drum stuff) with the Logic Control. Then get 2 or 3 cheap PC\'s for Giga and Lightpipe them all into your main Mac (Motu or RME stuff is good for soundcards). One note, 3 or 4 computers gets really loud and annoying. I went on Bruce\'s advice and bought and IsoRaxx sound enclosure for cheap from Guitar Center. It is amazing how much that it cuts down the noise if you don\'t have a machine room. Even after all that you should still have about $4K left for libraries. VSL or QL will eat up all of that, and I don\'t have either so can\'t really recommend. But, Garritan is still great and you can piece together SAM stuff and some winds and still get great orchestral stuff. Either way you\'ve got some fun shopping ahead of ya...

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated!

Yeah, I can\'t imagine one Mac doing the job either. I\'m wondering, though, if I should get a few cheaper giga\'s or one monster and a cheap\'y (If I have cash left?), what do you think? Also how much $$$ is a cheap giga, I\'m still unclear. BTW, at this point I\'m kind\'a leaning towards QLSO and SI [will that be enough to get my ball rolling?]

Also, what\'s up with Logic, is it better than DP3, if so why? Are most \'working\' composers using Logic? It\'s kinda scary thinking of changing platforms and learning giga/PC\'s all at once.

PS. Is anyone using pro-tools or a digi001 etc. I\'m wondering if I should just sell that too and concentrate on Logic or DP3 (which I have now). I got the 001 so I could be compatible with others but I\'m not so sure I even need it?

Sharmy, I\'d definitely like to hear anything you might say on this subject when we meet for drinks as well! Thanks!

Anyway thanks for your help guys!

If you use Performer, I\'d probably just stick with it. I hear it\'s great, I just personally know Logic. I know people who love both, it\'s just what you know and can work quickly. As far as cheap Gigas, I just put together an Athlon 2100 system with 512mb and a 2496 card for about $550 to run Garritan. I don\'t think you should spend $2K or something on a \'souped-up\' Giga rig. I don\'t think processor makes that much of a difference, especially if you\'re not using NFX or XP (I also use Win98SE, just because it works and can load way more samples than XP). I guess this can change with Giga 3, but my philosophy is it\'s just playing back samples - Garritan or whatever will sound the same in 2.5 or 3.0, so if you can do it on a $500 machine, why not....

One pertinent feature in the latest version of Logic (6.0) is that it \"now features a new \'Freeze\' button on all audio and audio instrument tracks. The basic concept behind this feature is to maximize the CPU resources available to Logic. \'Freezing\' CPU-demanding tracks, such as tracks using complex software instruments and effect plug-ins, reduces their CPU-load down to the very minimal demand of an unprocessed stereo audio track...\" . (Quoting from Emagic, there).
    It will free your Mac up to open more instances of soft synths/samplers et al. A big advantage over DP and others, at least in this regard.
    Something to consider...

I can\'t speak for other programs like DP, but
    I gotta say that my duel 800mhz Mac with the EXS24 is able to handle a bit more than my P4 2.4ghz gigas, BOTH in the RAM and Poly department (must say for the record that I\'m on XP). I have successfully created pretty intense instrumets in the EXS. It\'s REALLY easy to do (I\'m the farthest thing from a tweekhead), and it can take some serious load off your gigas. I do think you\'ll want a giga system to compliment the Mac system (they are great). But for the record, I got a lot of work done for quite a while on just the EXS24 on my Duel 800. In the end....buy both. Sorry. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    However, unless you are able to get both formats for VSL, buy it in Giga, since the EXS24 (if that\'s the way you end up going) converts giga format pretty well. Then, you can also throw Kontact on a spare Mac (that one that everybody has that used to be slammin, but is now the email machine), then you\'ve got VSL on all the computers available to you.
    It works for me so far.
    Of course, you can\'t use the Tool on the Mac\'s unless the boys at Vienna are cool give you the cross-format.
    Anyone know what the policy or offer is on this, by the way?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by jzuker:
    One pertinent feature in the latest version of Logic (6.0) is that it \"now features a new \'Freeze\' button on all audio and audio instrument tracks. The basic concept behind this feature is to maximize the CPU resources available to Logic. \'Freezing\' CPU-demanding tracks, such as tracks using complex software instruments and effect plug-ins, reduces their CPU-load down to the very minimal demand of an unprocessed stereo audio track...\" . (Quoting from Emagic, there).
    It will free your Mac up to open more instances of soft synths/samplers et al. A big advantage over DP and others, at least in this regard.
    Something to consider...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This feature gets a lot of airtime, but really, there is no new technology involved. It\'s a nice UI convenience, but anyone can work this way on any of the current major sequencer platforms by using bounces and alternate project files.

It\'s kind of ironic. In the early days of computer music production, you\'d keep as much synthesis in the virtual domain as possible to free up bandwidth for audio tracks. Now the bottleneck is reversed, and you want to keep as much mix information in audio tracks as possible, to free up bandwidth for synthesis.

\"Freeze\" function in Logic, notwithstanding, I have a Giga PC as well as the Mac/Logic machine. I suggest having a PC for Giga, Kontakt etc with your Mac, but this function in Logic might save you (and me) from having to buy that additional computer .

Go Back to forum