• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows Install Question

Share/Bookmark

Windows Install Question

I think I'm going to install a Windows 7 partition on my iMac so I can use Clone Ensemble and what ever else that doesn't run under OSX.

There are about a dozen varieties of Windows 7. I think this is the one for installing on a newly constructed PC which is what the software will think is happening. My iMac is too new to work with my Windows XP.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 64-bit-System Builder License and Media - 1 PC

I also need a cheap USB mouse and keyboard to configure it until I can get Bluetooth working under Windows unless I can borrow them.

What do you think. Sounds right?

Phil

Re: Windows Install Question

Windows Home Premium is probably the version you need. Professional and Ultimate have additional features, which probably won't matter to you. The 64 bit version is faster, but less compatible with other sofware and hardware. If you were putting it on a PC, I'd say you should carefully check the requirements of every device and piece of software that you intend to put on this machine. But, since it's a Mac, I really don't know what to expect.

Keep this in mind: a new PC, with Windows installed, can cost as little as $300-400 and may be faster than your old Mac. If the cost of replacing software or hardware that won't work with Windows 7 is more than that, it will be cheaper to just buy a pc. You can usually find pc makers who will install older versions of Windows (they call it downgrading), if you don't want Windows 8. I wouldn't want it myself. Go with Windows 7, if you can. Or XP, if you don't need to run 64 bit apps. IMHO the trend for operating systems has been to make them idiot proof -- which means hiding or eliminating features which users who know what they are doing rely on to tune, tweak, boost and/or troubleshoot problems. I'm hoping this fad will swing the other way at some point, though I don't see evidence of that happening anytime soon.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Windows Install Question

I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium from Walmart. There was a strange warning on the order receipt.

I didn't know an OS could be so exciting. I can't wait to install it on my iMac.

Phil

Talking Re: Windows Install Question

Well, I have managed to install windows 7 on my iMac in an Apple Boot Camp Partition. I used an online walk through which was 90% accurate and Apple's Boot Camp guide.

I've just used Explorer so far after getting Windows set up with my wireless router. It all seems to work flawlessly.

Windows 7 does take about 15 to 30 seconds to recognize my Apple wireless mouse after I turn the mouse off and back on after booting into it. Next I'll download my DAW, Metro 7 for Windows and get it authorized and working with my keyboard controllers(MIDI) and then the audio in and out. I'm not exactly sure how to move files back and forth between the two versions of Metro 7 but I'm sure it's not too difficult.

Next I'll download Clone Ensemble and try it out.

Phil

Go Back to forum