• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Firebird demo using VSL

Share/Bookmark

Firebird demo using VSL

I haven\'t seen any mention of this, but I found a user VSL demo of an excerpt from Stravinsky\'s Firebird. Very Cool!

http://vsl.co.at/downloader.pl/sounds/KK_Dance_of_the_Firebird.mp3

I\'ve been waiting for something like this!Finally, a great demo of some really complex, yet familiar music. When can I hear Mars, or the Rite of Spring?

Anyway, at first listen, this sounds so believable, it\'s ..uh...UNbelievable, if that makes any sense. Incredible woodwinds. The only weakness is, the higher staccato strings sound a bit sample-ly at times. Nevertheless, I\'m amazed by this. My favorite demo so far.

Re: Firebird demo using VSL

I still prefer the Isao Tomita version. Seriously...

Flame on.

Dasher

Wow! Impressive! But its still synthy to me. Something stiff about it. I am totally divided on this one. Its amazing and yet without life. Its a bit like like this Gorilla that has learned to talk. Its AMAZING - and yet nothing compared to a human being. Yes. Thats the best words I can find for it. Gorillas are cool!

Love - Chris

Originally posted by JamesGrote:
    Anyway, at first listen, this sounds so believable, it\'s ..uh...UNbelievable, if that makes any sense. Incredible woodwinds.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well most of the woodwinds _aren\'t_ real. It looks like they\'ve replaced some since I last heard it though \'cos originally it said that none of the woodwinds were VSL.

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    I still prefer the Isao Tomita version. Seriously...

Flame on.

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No flames from me. Yes, I\'m a huge Tomita fan.

Tomita???

Tomita is amazing. I love his work!

I agree ... it sounds a little synthy BUT the VSL is the best library I buy.

I don\'t program music,
    I play music !!!

I\'m working on The Rite of Spring this days ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For a best effect, you must humanize (don\'t quantise) ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Musicians aren\'t perfect [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by SyQuEsT:
    I\'m working on The Rite of Spring this days ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very cool! Please post any demos when you have something demo-able.

Lewis, if you haven\'t heard Isao Tomita. you\'re in for an interesting ride. He leaned his craft synthesizing soundtracks for those Japanese Saturday-morning cartoons (Speed Racer, early anime stuff), doing it on a Moog 15 studio analog synthesizer, plus whatever else he could get his hands on.

RCA Red Seal, the classical division, put out his first \'serious\' release, Snowflakes are Dancing , which included some Debussey and several other composers. I believe his second work (which was the first one I heard) was Pictures at an Exhibition , which was perfect for his extremely programmatic style ( Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks with real-sounding chickens...

He did Holst\'s The Planets in a style which was perfect for a film score, opening with a prelude of a spaceship taking off, including a \'vocal\' duet of the main Mars theme between the pilot and ground control. I understand that Todd Rundgren and some others lost half a million dollars creating an animated film based around his recording, only to have the whole thing go up in smoke when the Holst estate refused permission to use the work in a different media-apparently they could not stop publication of the piece as a straight audio recording, but to put it into a different medium (film) they could refuse permission, and as they absolutely hated what he had done, they canned it. Oddly enough, it was released on RCA Red Seal the same day that Mercury Records released The Planets by Pat Gleeson, which was a pedestrian work using an Arp 2500 to simulate the instruments, and with very few changes to the score-just a few synth-y wheeps here and there.

But Firebird was, IMHO, his finest work, yet it sold poorly.

Later he got involved with Casio, and was featured in Ney York City in a huge transparent pyramid hoisted high in the air and illuminated by laser, conductiong a combination of tape, live orchestra and live choir on three barges floating down the Hudson (or East River, can\'t remember which). Shades of Jean Michael Jarre [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dasher

Go Back to forum