• Register
  • Help

Topic: An interesting AP Article About Technology And Jobs

Share/Bookmark

An interesting AP Article About Technology And Jobs

I believe this is part two of a three part series on the disruptive effect of technology on employment and the economy in general.

Information about applications to aid in composing of music were posted on this forum which were met with interest and also skepticism if not hostility.

I'm sure that skepticism will continue until eventually some one submit a composition for a contest that earns a prize. The person(s) who submit the composition will reveal that it was totally computer generated. I don't think this is a fantasy at all but a real possibility.

Anyway, here's the article.

A World Without Work.

Phil

Re: An interesting AP Article About Technology And Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...I'm sure that skepticism will continue until eventually some one submit a composition for a contest that earns a prize. The person(s) who submit the composition will reveal that it was totally computer generated. I don't think this is a fantasy at all but a real possibility...
    That is an interesting article, Phil - But what I'm still waiting for is the flying car!

Regarding a composition contest prize going to a computer generated piece - I think you may be implying that it's already happened?

I'll suggest something controversial about computer generated music: We're constantly surrounded and bombarded with music. Besides the big pop music industry, there are scads of other markets for music. Everything we see on the zillions of TV channels and networks is underscored, music is everywhere online, on radio airwaves, and it all adds up to an incredible amount of music. And like all music, most of this, 99+% of it is just-Stuff, just sound, nothing brilliant, ground breaking or earth shattering. It doesn't need to be great - Fortunate musicians are making money from cranking out the non-stop soundtrack of our lives. It doesn't matter that once in awhile some of this Stuff will manage to transcend its origins and be actual Art - It's just part of the non-stop noise/sound/"music" that keeps feeding this insatiable mega-market.

Many of these folks cranking this stuff are already using all sorts of tricks that help them produce this sound/music quickly. And why not? It will probably become easier and easier for a musician to do even less to spit out the sound. Why not tell a computer to take a few notes and piece together a quasi-Mozartian piece for a string quartet, for instance - instant "genteel" cue for a TV show. Push a few buttons to crank out a generic hip hop track - instant urban scene.

And so forth. Music really isn't such a precious commodity that only the painstakingly initiated can produce. The majority of what we hear everywhere is just momentary sound that does its job and then disappears again. Why not produce it as quickly and simply as possible with a computer?

And besides all this sound fodder material I'm talking about, the world is full of musicians who are seriously and studiously working to produce Great Music which will touch people's souls and lives - and that's great. But 99+% of that output will never be heard beyond very small audiences, and most of it isn't nearly as "Great" as the creators think it is. If those same musicians really want to make their livings with music, they could keep up with developments and be employed as the music computer's button pusher. Then on their own time they can feed their souls with their personal, serious musical expressions.

The serious composer can also benefit from greater advances in technology, beyond what most of us are already using. Why slave over the more mundane chores of composition if they could be accomplished just as well by a computer? Complex overlapping arpeggios - let a computer work that out instead of taking an hour to insert chains of 32nd notes in a notation program.

No matter how advanced computer arranging and composition becomes, there will always be talented, creative people who will write music simply because they Have to in order to be happy. Whether or not they incorporate advanced computer generated elements in their music will always be up to them. Meanwhile, computers capable of producing effective music with little or no human intervention will be a very welcome development - because most of the world's music needs are very simple: There's all that non-stop STuff needed!

Randy

Randy,

Yes, popular music is probably ripe for the use of artificial intelligence. It's mostly just auto tuned, compressed, airbrushed, monotonous, meaningless drivel anyway. It should be a piece of cake.

I imagine computer generated soundtrack capabilities could be eventually integrated into video editing software. No one really listens very closely to a soundtrack so it's just a matter of pulling up the correct feel for the scene. There goes those jobs. Oh well, some 1 or 2 has to do the coding.

The real money in music nowadays is being hot. The hotter you are the more money you make. Some people become super hot. Staying super hot is very difficult and few stay super hot for very long. It doesn't have much to do with musical talent per se but is a mysterious state of being. If Carl Sagan was still with us he could probably explain it all in layman terms.

I guess the reward is in the journey what ever the outcome of ones efforts.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    the world is full of musicians who are seriously and studiously working to produce Great Music which will touch people's souls and lives - and that's great. But 99+% of that output will never be heard beyond very small audiences, and most of it isn't nearly as "Great" as the creators think it is.

Randy

"and most of it isn't nearly as "Great" as the creators think it is"

so well said...

and this....

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    It's mostly just auto tuned, compressed, airbrushed monotonous, meaningless drivel

Phil
    he he he,,, so true,
    but let's not forget that there is still a ton of great music being played in concerts all over the planet.

I do agree though that the endless "balls to the wall" music attitude that so many pop music "PRODUCERS" are making makes me roll my eyes as I switch the channel because the distorted guitars and overly compressed crap just irritates me so.

And while I'm at it ,,, let me say this too
    It's so ironic that pop music producers use excessive compression to make their mix sound "punchy", they are so inept that when they put so much compression on the final mix the compressors radically lower the kick and bass so much to the point that the bass notes and kick drum are completely removed, DOH! If you want more energy, you use compression with a slow attack and a fast release time, like the old DBX 161 sounds, that along with proper EQ will make the bass sound and kick smack you in the face,. . . . . not eliminate it.

GOSH!

on the bright side....
    this was some good reading
    Thanks you guys.
    Dan

Go Back to forum