• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tutorial: Adding Vibrato in Finale

Tutorial: Adding Vibrato in Finale

There was a discussion started by Michael about adding vibrato to both Sonar and Finale. I'm going to show a step-by-step method which I use in Finale and, once you've got the hang of it, it's fairly easy. I had posted this once before and thought it would be good to update and repost it again. The technique works for adding vibrato to Trumpet, Bassoon, Trombone, Harmonica, etc., any of those instruments that allow vibrato which Rich listed in the previous discussion.

I'll be using Harmonica in this example. I'm also using Finale 2012. This works in older versions of Finale as well, at least back to the 2009 version. Once you have done this, you do not have to do this over and over again. Simply save this into Finale's libraries and you don't have to go through this process every time you want to add vibrato. Save the Library as Vibrato and when you need it, load the vibrato library and it will be there.

First, you need to create an expression using the expression edit tool. I used a "visible" NV for non vibrato and Vib for vibrato just so you can see them. Normally I click the "hidden box" in the edit for the expression tool to make them invisible. Here's what it looks like in the score:

Open the expression tool. Click on the Technique Text then Create Technique Text:

Your Expression Designer looks like this:

Type in your description for your vibrato, which in mine case is Vib. Use whatever works for you:

Click on playback tab and select Channel Pressure for the drop down menu. Select Execute Shape for the effect. Then click on the "select" to get into the Execute Shapes. This will enable you can choose the shape you need for the effect.

Here are some of the shapes:

Pick whatever shape works for you. You can also edit the shape however you want. The shape helps the vibrato come in more gradually, adding to a more realistic vibrato effect:

When finished, select Assign at the bottom of the Expression Tool menu and you're done:

Repeat the exact same procedure for a No Vibrato expression, except choose "select to value" and enter a "0" for the value. This will turn off the vibrato:

Click OK and you're done.

Now, there is one last thing you can do in order to get as realistic a vibrato sound as possible. Click on the Time Signature Tool and click on the first measure in your piece. Your time signature window will look like this:

Click "more options" at the top right:

1. Select Use a Different Time Signature for Display. 2. Change the Number of Beats to 16 and the Beat Duration to 16 at the top (that's if you are using a 4/4 time signature, which I am in this example).

What this does is allows you to click on Vib and NV every 16th note in the measure, though it will still show a 4/4 time signature. This gives you a lot of flexibility. Without doing this it will default to every quarter note when you add the expressions to the measure.

Here is my Finale file if you want to download it:

Here is a wave for of the above example:

I hope this helps those trying to get a vibrato in Finale.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Re: Tutorial: Adding Vibrato in Finale

Whoa, good work! I'll have to give this a try.

Thanks, John
    John Newell
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

This is incredible, Gary. And once again, my mind boggles thinking of the hoops you notation users have to go through sometimes. I'm sitting here so grateful that all I need to do is grab me keyboard's lever and record vibrato in real time. More power to all of you Finale users!

Thanks John! I hope you have fun with it.

Randy, I don't think I've ever received a reward like this one! I'm honored! Most of the time it's a bill in the mail!

NOW..all that I showed...well, the work is done. Anyone who wants to add vibrato to their instruments YOU CAN follow what I've done and it will work.

HOWEVER, I've done the work for you. Just download the Finale file and open it up in Finale. Save the library and you're done. If you don't have Finale 2012, let me know. I can go back to Finale 2009, 2010 & 2011 and update this for you if needed. Take about 5 minutes. All I need is feedback and I can change the file.

Enjoy everyone!!!!
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Wonderful! I woulld love to try this on the trumpet solo especially! Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Wonderful! I woulld love to try this on the trumpet solo especially! Great job.
    Gary Aubry really has done a great service for Finale users. If someone hasn't ever implemented vibrato control on Garritan instruments, getting it to finally work would be something like always having heard music in mono and suddenly turning the stereo on.

It's become surprisingly clear to me over the last year, via posts here in the Forum, that not everyone has understood that total vibrato control has been available on so many Garritan instruments since day one of GPO's release. Trumpets without vibrato, to use your example, Rodney, is like trying to imagine Ice Cream without the sugar, a Martini without the alcohol.

Working with vibrato is so easy in DAW software, as long as one is aware that it's available. Knowing how to make it happen in Finale, as oddly unintuitive and unclear as it must be to the average user, is a Very Good Thing to know.

What an EXCELLENT tutorial Gary! Thanks for posting it. I didn't see the original post you made for this but I certainly appreciate the effort you put into that one and this update.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Thanks for the information and for all the work you did on this Gary.

It's much appreciated.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum