• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL: Enough articulations?

Share/Bookmark

VSL: Enough articulations?

I have a question fo those who were able to experiment VSL and who also have the other mainstream libraries (Dan Dean, SI, GOS, etc...)

Do you feel that there are enough articulations, enough details for each instrument within VSL?

My fear is based on a simple assumption: if you buy a String Library like GOS, it is likely to be more detailled than a global library that includes almost all orchestral instruments.

I know VSL is huge, and I really think I\'m gonna get it. But I also like a lot of details in each instrument.... and I don\'t want to be deceived on this aspect...

What are your feelings?

Thanks,
    Martin

Re: VSL: Enough articulations?

as of right now there are some holes, and there are some advantages over other libs.

strings in particular have some \"big\" holes. As in no Sordinos, no non vibrato. But these will be showing up as an update to the first edition. I\'m not sure if its a paid update or a free one, but I dont think its part of the pro edition upgrade. (I\'m not sure tho, it would be something to clarify with VSL)

However you do get, sustains, trills, crecendos, diminuendos, sfortzando, staccatto, tremolo, detache, and others, as well as multiple versions of the above.

The woods in particular are missing some insruments that will show up in the pro edition, but the articulations list is pretty complete (not to mention the performance legato variations of these are a must have).

You get trill, flutter, sustain, crecendo, diminuendo, stacatto, sfortzando, etc....

same with the brass, as well as updates to existing stuff in the pro edition (different sections, variations on the same instrument)
    there will be more instruments and more articulations sampled for the Pro Edition version of the library.

Compared to other libs I think VSL will hold extremely well against the other \"specialized\" libraries in terms of articulations. In fact I think its superior in articulation choices to other specialized libs. This however doesn\'t mean it will do everything you want at this exact minute in time (give it a few months for strings)

check out this thread

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004351

Thanks for your answer King!

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    strings in particular have some \"big\" holes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, this is one of the things that scares me the most...

The woods in particular are missing some insruments that will show up in the pro edition.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">For that, I am not worried at all. I know they\'re gonna keep sampling new instruments and that is great. My post was more related to the specialized library vs huge library. Usually, when the project is too big, you might be less focused than when you sample only a specific instrument.

In fact I think its superior in articulation choices to other specialized libs. This however doesn\'t mean it will do everything you want at this exact minute in time (give it a few months for strings)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, I guess this is the problem... I expected VSL to be the miracle solution to everything... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

There is no miracle solution, you know that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

that said, I\'m very happy with VSL so far and have an open mind to what will come with the updates. So far I\'m looking forward to it. Sordinos will be a nice addition, however I\'ve been able to get some nice softer sounds using the piano strings and a slight bit of EQ. Still nothing will replace nice mutes.

Again with all that said, in the end I believe VSL will have more articulations than any of the others, it will just take time to sample them all. Its a huge project, more than any other library as far as I can see.

There\'s even polls for what they should sample next. There\'s no other project like this and I appreciate what it is, thats for sure. I guess thats why I dont \"notice\" the holes. Since I know they\'ll be fixed fairly soon.

I mean come on, their even thinking of sampling saxaphones. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] now all they need is a FREAKING CELESTE!!!!!! I like the glock, so I think their celeste would sound great. hehee

anyhow, no one library will do it \"All\" even with all the articulations. You\'ll find things that you personally would want different...jsut the way it goes.

if you\'re looking for good Muted strings right now, check out SISS, best ones out there at the mo\'

The greatest feature of VSL (IMHO) is the performance libraries. This is one of the biggest differentiators between VSL and other packages.

It is here that I am really looking forward to the Pro Edition in that for some intruments there is only one dynamic available. I really would love to have \'f\' trumpets/trombones as it currently only has \'p\' available for those ensembles. Also it would be great to have vibrato in some of the woodwind instruments in the performance library.

You CAN\'T go wrong with this library though...very nice indeed.

I have been in touch with some of the terminology departments of the best universities in the world for over a month, and they have come to the unanimous decision that the term \"enough articulations\" does not in fact exist. Go figure...

Go Back to forum