• Register
  • Help

Topic: Previewing filter settings in the Instrument Editor

Share/Bookmark

Previewing filter settings in the Instrument Editor

Hi,
    I\'ve never used the GSt Instrument Editor before, so of course I\'m having some problems. I have my wave files assigned to keys OK, and they play in GSt, so now I want to do some filter settings.

Problem is I cannot figure out how to preview anything I do in the Instrument Editor. I seem to have to save everything as a gig and load it into GSt to hear things.

Clicking on the keyboard in the Editor isn\'t playing the wave. Playing my controller isn\'t playing the wave.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Mark

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Previewing filter settings in the Instrument Editor

Hi Mark,

You have to hit \"apply\" when you make a change. All of those settings are per-sample, so you must select every velocity you want the filters to apply to, as well as every region. The Giga Editor works like Windows Explorer in that way--the same set of controls can be global, or all the way to sample-specific. If you ever see \"greyed\" data in a box or button selection, it means that not all the layers/regions you\'ve selected share the same setting.

Also, if you are not invoking the editor from WITHIN Giga, the playback engine isn\'t automatically loaded.

Up towards the top you\'ll see two graphic \"LEDs\" labeled Loaded and Reload. Click the button to the left with the \"download to GS\" graphic. Depending on the depth of your adjustments, this will either do a partial (equivalent to writing the \"art\" file section of the GIG file) or full (save new or altered or rearranged waveforms) save. The green \"loaded\" indicator should light, and the sample will be loaded on the channel and port indicated in the dropdowns to the right. If you make any change that requires a save, the \"reload\" indicator will light. Click the \"download to giga\" button again, and you will be prompted for a partial or full save. Most operations don\'t require a reload, once you\'ve gotten all the waves and velocity levels in and loaded, and saved for the first time.

The Filter page is really weird, as in mind-numbingly obtuse. I\'ll give you a quick rundown. It is more powerful than people give it credit for being--in fact, it\'s a kind of awesome part of the feature set. But it\'s organized badly, and the routing and defaults aren\'t apparent. Velocity Curve and Velocity Dynamic Range settings are translating how velocity will affect filtering, for instance...and are scaled by the \"Vel Scale\" setting. 127 is \"no effect,\" 0 is \"extreme effect.\" But what that effect actually is changes with the Type setting. And every sample in a region can have a different filter type, tied to the same (or different) controller.

Cutoff is a per-sample or universal automatable cutoff, but it has no relationship to the automated aspects of filtering, other than being automatable itself via the \"Fc MIDI ctrl\" setting right next to it. This is the setting that many piano programmers use to give Mod Wheel control of the overall brightness. If you imagine a box drawn around those two controls to isolate them from the rest of the page, things make a LOT more sense.

To set up a really obvious Lowpass filter, do this:

1) Set \"Type\" to Lowpass. \"Leave Turbo LPF\" unchecked
    2) Leave \"Cutoff Freq\" at 127.
    3) Leave \"FC MIDI ctrl\" at None
    4) Set \"Velocity Scale\" to 20 for now.
    5) Leave Resonance at 0. Leave Resonance MIDI control at NONE
    6) Leave Kbd Tracking and Breakpoint off.
    7) Set \"Vel Curve\" to Special and \"Velocity Dynamic Range\" to high.
    8) Check \"Entire Region\" to make it apply to the entire region you\'ve selected above (Yellow) or leave unchecked to apply to only the Velocities you\'ve selected (green) to the left.

This should result in an obvious velocity filtering of highs. Roll \"Vel Scale\" up towards 127 for less effect (hit apply afterwards).

Once you\'ve made this work, the rest will fall into place as you experiment.

The \"Select lock\" button, next to \"Stereo/Mono\" is very handy for autoselecting the entire velocity range of regions.

Some hints:

Get all your samples in, organized, and mapped--and save that--before you get into the fine tuning. This will prevent the constant re-saves, and at most, you\'ll just have to do partial saves. ALWAYS keep backup copies.

Save incremental ART files. Save incremental ART files. Save incremental ART files. Did I say save incremental ART files? You can crash the editor in the middle of a save, and potentially lose work. By always keeping a backup of the fully wave-mapped file, and a set of incremental ART files, you can just load up your backup, load the latest ART file, and be on your merry way. Also, it\'s great to be able to jump back to an earlier version if you\'ve started down a road that doesn\'t ultimately pan out. Starting back at that fork in the road is easier than un-doing a bunch of hardcore editing. However, the selection/apply methodology also lets you globally reset an individual parameter without stepping all over other very specific settings (i.e., if you don\'t change a \"greyed\" setting, Giga won\'t write over the settings. Only what you change purposefully (i.e., typing over a greyed setting and typing in a new \"black\" value, and applying that) will ever be globally overwritten.

I hope that helps get your problem solved, and also helps people understand a bit about the Giga Editor. It gets widely panned because it is a really, really terrible UI. But its problems are not functional, just presentational. Once you figure it out, it is the fastest sampler editor on the planet!! So fear not. Once you get it rolling, you\'ll be editing like mad in no time.

Bruce,
    I was just coming back to ask a couple more questions and found this great set of instructions, so I think I don\'t have to. (At least right now!)

Thanks very much for putting this together. I\'m taking a vacation day today from my day job to try to do this programming for someone, so I really need to make it work. You\'ve been a great help already.

Let me check one thing. I have a gig file with multiple instruments. All instruments use the same samples. I want each instrument to have different filter & resonance settings. I.e. - Instrument 0 has no filter, Instrument 1 has LP-127-0, Instrument 2 has LP - 63-0, etc. Should this be possible?

My problem right now (I have not done your instructions yet. That\'s next) is that when I save the instruments in GigaEdit and then recall them to look at the settings, they do not seem to have been saved.

Let me go try your instructions carefully and come back later with a success report.

Thanks **VERY** much!

Cheers,
    Mark

Bruce,
    OK, success, at least for the easy parts. I was not hitting the \'Apply Filter\' button, so it wasn\'t sticking. Now at least I can close and reopen a gig file and see the filter settings I placed there.

Great help. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Mark

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
    Let me check one thing. I have a gig file with multiple instruments. All instruments use the same samples. I want each instrument to have different filter & resonance settings. I.e. - Instrument 0 has no filter, Instrument 1 has LP-127-0, Instrument 2 has LP - 63-0, etc. Should this be possible?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Mark,

Oh yes. In fact, you could have different filter and resonance settings on each key within each instrument, or for that matter, on each velocity split of the key.

Sounds like you\'re on your way. I hope it works out well for you.

Bruce

Go Back to forum