• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How can I normalize entire instruments?

How can I normalize entire instruments?

I\'d like to normalize all samples in several instruments. I have both SampleWrench, full version, and SoundForge, but can\'t figure out how I could easily extract all wavs from a gigainstrument, normalize the samples, and then stick them back into the .gig. Can someone suggest how to do this... either with the two tools I mentioned, or with something else?

Re: How can I normalize entire instruments?

Why would you do this? Normalization can be very destructive for you audio. The quantization noise won\'t get any softer (louder instead) by normalizing your samples. Have they been recorded really soft?

Gigastudio allows you to assign a wave editor as the \'preferred\' sample editor. At this point I believe it works only on a per sample basis, not on batches.

To work on groups of samples you can export a whole folder and deal with them. I think as long as you bring them back into the editor with the same names, your instrument will remain correctly mapped.

For indiviudal sample edits:

1. Open the editor
    2. On the menu bar choose \'Edit\'
    3. Under Edit choose \'preferences\'
    4. On the right hand side of the window under \'audio editor\' insert the location of your preferred editor

Once this is done, from now on you can right click on a sample in the sample pool, choose \'edit audio\' and have the sample copied to your editor. It will probably appear as something like \'GS000000.wav\' so keep you wits about you. You don\'t need to rename as Gigastudio knows that this temp file is referenced to the original sample. If you screw up the edit - just don\'t save it.

If you just want to keep the original instrument and samples as a safety, copy the instrument, right click on a folder in the samples pool and choose to \'export all sample folders\'. Now you can batch edit to your heart\'s content.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by imperium:

Why would you do this? Normalization can be very destructive for you audio. The quantization noise won\'t get any softer (louder instead) by normalizing your samples. Have they been recorded really soft?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Normalization gives certain instrument design advantages, although the cleaner way to do the job is to raise levels during the session for softer attacks and compensate during the mapping stage.

Especially for people who use wind-controllers, one needs a method for making all samples of various dynamics the same recorded volume. Otherwise, the wind control essentially provides a double attenuation.

Right. That makes sense. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As sounddesigner/audiopost engineer I always jump off my chair when normalization comes up. I\'d better tie myself down while surfing this board. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, my situation is that I _do_ use a wind controller, and that I have a library that has been recorded at quite a low level.

I believe this was done because it is a library of solo instruments, and so the instruments are \"supposed\" to be relatively less loud than, say, a string section. This might work in some situations, but I\'d prefer to have the option of using the samples at \"full\" amplitude in some situations, and then attenuating them in others.

The problem is that I\'m simultaneously using other giga instruments that were recorded at much higher levels. Of course I could adjust the mix in the Giga DSP, but I\'m using other synths and samplers as well, and I hate to start out with a mix that is attenuated and then boost it.

Of course, that\'s kind of what I\'d be doing to the library in question, but at least I wouldn\'t be doing it to all elements of my mix.

I\'m wondering, however, if normalizing will rob the samples of some of their variability. Obviously, with a wind controller, I can vary the amplitude of notes as I like, but I\'m just a little nervous that, by normalizing, I\'ll end up with a somewhat more mechanical sound. Has anyone any experience with this?

Yes, Chadwick, that\'s how I\'ve started doing the normalizations, but there are so many samples that it\'s really tedious. I was hoping for some sort of batch ability. I\'ve heard that Awave might do this. I\'ll have to check it out. Then again, maybe I\'m about to change a pretty gorgeous, but too softly recorded, library into a monolithic piece of junk.

But will CoolEdit help me in the process of extracting the wavs from the gigainstruments, and replacing the samples into the gigainstruments when I\'m done normalizing.

Seems as if you\'re saying that CoolEdit will somehow keep the relative differences in amplitude between the samples. This would be cool indeed!

gabriels, it depends on the patchess you want to convert.

I\'m guessing its Dan Dean Woodwinds.

The samples in this lib are compressed into a giga native format that allows for better streaming possibillities and less HD space.

they are also not exportable via the Gigaeditor. Which is where your problem may be.

For instance, uncompressed samples in a gig file can be exported to a folder of your choice, then you could batch process them in another application, then \"replace\" them via the giga editor.

However since you cant export compressed files, you have a problem.

AWAVE Studio can export compressed files, and even normalize files within the gig instrument for you. Great tool, only problem is it doesn\'t support giga 2.5 modifications. So if there are any 2.5 specific programming features, you\'ll lose them, not to mention it destroys the folder tree within the gig instrument.

Still for DDWW instruments it should be fine, since I dont remember it having much in the realm of 2.5 specific programming.

otherwise you could use an app I befriended a year or so ago, named Quick Keys. You could possibly build a single keystroke command that would open a file in sound forge through the gigaeditor, then normalize, then save/close, and move to teh next file and repeat.

Thus a \"auto batch\" creation of your own.

Another big King Idiot Secret out in the open.....

believe me if you put your mind to it, you can make quick Keys do SO MANY things.

Actually, it\'s the \"pre-release\" of KH Solo Strings that I\'m trying to normalize. Great sounds... very usable for my purposes, but recorded at a low level... possibly to fit in as elements of a larger mix.

For me, it would be better to have more gain in the samples.

The samples are extractable to a folder. I have been using SoundForge to do the normalizing on some of the samples. It\'s a little tedious and quick keys sounds as if it could be a help. But one of the most tedious aspects of this process is putting the edited wavs back into the gigainstrument.

I think I understand, or I should say, I don\'t REALLY understand the structure of a gigainstrument. It seems to me that the samples are in a different format when they are stored in a gigainstrument. They are extractable as wavs. If I edit the wavs, I\'ve found that I still need to replace the individual samples in a giga instrument with the edited wavs. Very tedious indeed. Am I on the right track? Sometimes I think I am, but that I\'m headed in the wrong direction.

Go Back to forum