• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Anniversary of the Challenger

Share/Bookmark

The Anniversary of the Challenger

Here is a link to a piece I wrote in 2006 commemorating the space pioneers of the the Challenger that exploded 27 years ago today.

In Memory STS 51L

best regards,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Anniversary of the Challenger

Vivid memories of that awful day. A young man came running down the street yelling, ran into the place I worked, "They're dead! They're all dead!"- tears streaming down his face. He was like a tragic Paul Revere on that day, people pouring out of stores in his wake, dazed. It seemed to hit everyone as strongly as a presidential assassination.

Your martial tribute is very fitting, Bill - Thanks for letting us know about your You Tube posting.

Randy

Hi Bill,

A very worthy tribute to space heroes. I can imagine that it got deeply to all Americans, since it stopped the other world for moments with disbelief and disappointment, sadness and sincere sympathy. Progress has its price...

A sober musical remembrance of a tragic event in man's history.

Thanks for sharing.

Max

Thanks for the post Bill. It's a nice tribute to some brave folks.

I saw it happening live on TV and shortly after had to pick up my 7 year old daughter at her school and broke the news to her teacher. As you know the first teacher to go into space was on board that day.

Phil

Hi Bill -

I can't believe that it's been 27 years since that horrific event. Watching what happened to Challenger (and wondering if there were any survivors) is one of those moments that's burned in my memory. Yes, you're piece is a fine tribute to that event. The composition and video is nicely done.

27 years. . . wow. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks all for listening. It's a somber reminder of how we all cling to life on this small little planet tucked in a obscure neighborhood on the edge of a galactic spiral arm. These true heroes test the spirit and limit of man and his ability to survive and reach for the stars.

best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum