• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Piece (a little different)

Share/Bookmark

New Piece (a little different)

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I post a composition on the forum, and it\'s something a little different. A year ago, I got a commission to write a piece for flute and harp. To make a long story short, apparently the piece was a little difficult rhythmically and the performers got a little scared, which means no performance. :-(

The piece has been sitting in a drawer for a year. I\'ve recently discovered this board as I\'m building my first Giga system (what a wealth of info here!) and as I\'ve seen many people post their new compositions here, I thought I might do the same, and my piece might finally get an audience. Yeah I know, the motivation is rather self-centered! :-)

So, this is the sampled simulation I had made for the performers. The harp is from the X-Sample library, and the flute uses samples from Advanced Orchestra and Miroslav. Nothing earth-shattering here, especially compared to some newer libraries, but it was the best I had to work with (and that I could afford).

About the piece: it\'s very different from the great film-music-type stuff that is often posted on the board. It\'s a very intimate and reflective piece. It\'s not tonal music, but I wouldn\'t say that it\'s a very \"hard\" listen. Those who know the flute music of Toru Takemitsu, this was very much influenced by it, although I tried to also give it my own voice.

That\'s about it. Does it show that I\'ve been wanting to get this heard for a while? :-) The piece is 5 min. 30 sec. long, and the mp3 file is 7.5 MB (so you might not want to download it if you\'re not on a broadband connection).

Thanks for listening!

http://homepage.mac.com/nadeama/Poem_for_flute_and_harp.mp3

Martin Nadeau

Re: New Piece (a little different)

Hi! I must say that I like it - it have
    a classical sound - which is Rare on this forum [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but maybe more instruments ?

Hi! I must say that I like it - it have
    a classical sound - which is Rare on this forum [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but maybe more instruments ?

Exellent! I love it! I sure have a lot of respect for the orchestral film-style compositions, but this is where my heart lies! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Very subtle and musical!
    Feel free to post some more [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Markus.

Martin-

Thanks for giving our ears a rest from all the \"larger than life\" film cues!

I enjoyed the piece very much, but I half-way felt like you are putting us on...that those are the real players! If not, you sure get a lot out of your samples.

Carl

As, Mr Robin123´s Music, it sounds too \"Abstract\" for me, but i´m sure that was your intention, Good Work.

pd: It sound \"Real-Instruments\" for me Too.
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

Carl: they really are samples, and I can prove it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you listen carefully to the introduction of the piece when the flute plays solo, you can hear vibrato and non-vibrato samples. There\'s a difference in the timbre of the two sounds because the non-vibrato is a sample from Miroslav and the vibrato flute is from AO. They\'re two different instruments played by two different people and you can hear that in the quality of the sound. Once you\'ve noticed it, it\'s pretty obvious.

Another clue is the very last note of the flute at the end of the piece. It should hold and die along with the harp (which a real flutist should have enough breath to do). Unfortunately, my flute sample wasn\'t long enough and I just didn\'t feel like going through the hassle of looping it myself, so I just let it die long before it should.

Diego: I\'ll post something soon that\'s less \"abstract\". I was aware that this wouldn\'t be to everyone\'s tastes. Maybe I\'ll also post something with more instruments for Handz in the near future. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, great work yourself on your LOTR suite. I can\'t believe the talent on this board!

Thanks again everyone for listening.

Thanks alot, for the \"Indirec-Fedbak\", about my Work;
    Hope you don´t take me bad about my \"Abstract-coment\"; I Realy Respect that Style, and i think is probably hardest, than convenciona music, like mine; just well, is not my style.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
    Thanks to you,

pd: Hope you like my las Moviment, Nº4. too.

D.Montesinos.

Very nice Martin!

Only thing I wasn\'t sure about were the pitch bends on the flute. They sounded a little false to me. Despite the pieces atonal nature, I found it very relaxing.

I love it!
    Well executed, masterfully, in both sequencing skills and composition. I aspire to write with such grace.
    Thank you for sharing it with us Martin.

Go Back to forum