• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cleaning up the Studio . . .

Share/Bookmark

Cleaning up the Studio . . .

I just spent most of the day dusting off the computer and equipment in my studio, and I STILL have more work to do! But it makes for a nicer environment to help support the "creative vibe" in writing music. The dust was thick on EVERYTHING! I think the last time that I did any serious cleaning was two years ago when I upgraded my computer. I don't think I've dusted off my mixer-board since I moved into my home 7+ years ago!! (It still needs to get cleaned, too! LOL!)

Curious. . . how clean and dust-free is your "working" environment? Do you keep a tidy room or do you name the dust-bunnies that live under and on your equipment?!? LOL!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Cleaning up the Studio . . .

I "undust" the environment once a week. Incl. vacuumcleaner. There are some old and dusty notes still around, but a closer look told me that they are Beethoven's Nineth. Also his hearing aid needs some extra attention LOL

Raymond

The TWO ingredients for malfunctioning, electronic equipment outside of liquids and food are:

Dust and Smoke.

Periodic inspections for these "killers" is mandatory for a working, creative, wanna be there studio.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack -

This is especially true for the workings of the computer. Since cleaning out the "dust-bunnies" from within my MacPro, I noticed the fans to be more quieter. At present, I'm working to take off the film of dust on my aging (but still functioning) 24 channel/8 bus mixing board. Working around those faders and knobs is a tedious task. But not only is that film of dust getting cleaned-off, the board looks almost new again! (which is a nice site to see!). I sorely wish that I can clean deep inside the mixing boards external energy supply unit. I'm doing the best I can to rid it of its dust. It's what's on the inside of the energy supply unit that worries. . . lots and lots of dust. I don't have to worry about smoke, though! Smoke is not only bad for electronic gear, it really does much damage to one's lungs. During my 20 years of hospital nursing, I have seen many-a patient die from smoking-related lung illness (cancer, COPD, pneumonia and even bladder cancer, etc.). Smoke: BAD for the lungs and bad for one's electronic gadgetry.

Raymond -

I like your humor! LOL!

Here's to clean studios and a smoke-free lifestyle. . . for many good reasons!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Serious now. Dust is a killer for computers and other electronic gear. Once a week I do the surface of it all and once every three months I open the desktop for a real deep cleaning inside. I really don't have that much of gear to work with. Just:

• two KRK Rokits 8 inch monitors,
    • the AKG headphones,
    • the EMU 1616M desktop breakbox,
    • mechanical metronome,
    • my electronic piano, covered with a cloth when not needed,
    • the M-Audio Oxygen, mostly packed in plastic when not needed,
    • some external HD's which don't gather too much dust,
    • the desktop which isn't on my desk but below,
    • the computer keyboard and mouse (do you know that the mouse gathers more creepy bacteries than your toiletseat?).

Everything else is just software. How do you clean software?

Raymond

Good plan Raymond. Desktops that reside on the floor are especially prone to dust. I like your cleaning regimen. I'm a "neat freak," but I don't care what people call me if I don't have to pay for un-needed repairs. And, I haven't in over 20 years of working with MIDI products. Not even a MIDI or video cable. So, I guess we are doing the right thing.

Ted: Great work cleaning your equipment. It's sometimes daunting to decide whether or not to open a unit up to clean inside if you are not good at that sort of thing. If it has a removable cover, you might go online and see if recommendations are there for user-cleaning. Sometimes Q-tips can solve the problem inside a unit; otherwise, just keep it covered as much as possible.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

My Mac Pro tells me when it needs to be cleaned.
    The fan on the video will collect a thick layer of dust "wool" on the cooling fins.
    Once I pull it carefully off, it is much quieter!
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Go Back to forum