• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL pro edition: more instruments, or more instruments AND articulations?

Share/Bookmark

VSL pro edition: more instruments, or more instruments AND articulations?

When the VSL pro edition comes out, will it simply add new instruments (picolo flute, bass trombone, etc...) or will it ALSO add new articulations for the first edition instruments?

I.E., are the first edition instruments out now 100% complete, or are they still missing a few articulations?

Re: VSL pro edition: more instruments, or more instruments AND articulations?

Leon,
    Check out the VSL forum. Herb recently posted a partial list of additional articulations and instruments that will come with the Pro Edition.

Yup, you\'re right. I was forgetting about the VSL form. In case anyone\'s interested, I\'ll save you some search time. Here is Herb\'s post in the VSL forum:

---------------------------------------------
    I try to give a short overview for the Pro Edition,

new instruments:

Piccoloflute, flute 1, alto flute, english Horn, bass clarinet, double bassoon,
    piccolo trumpet, bass trumpet, bass trombone, contrabass trombone,
    contrabass tuba, cimbasso, wagner tuba,
    solo violin, solo cello,
    celesta, marimbaphone, virbraphone,
    a lot of percussion stuff (the double size of the first release)

additions of first edition instruments

strings
    size will be doubled:
    mutes (different single-notelength, dynamics of course performance-legati repetitions),
    ponticello, non vibrato,
    perf-legato-grace for very fast legato programming,
    and much more

brass ensembles
    marcato patches (long notes with hard attacks)
    performance legati forte for trombone and trumpets
    and maybe first performance marcati (like the performance legati, 24 variations per key)
    more single notes, dynamics and performance reptitions

solo woodwinds
    more single note, dynamics, performance repetitions,

again, this list is just a short overview,

best wishes
    Herb

Does anyone know how much more we will have to pay for the Pro Edition? Considering we already own the first edition and performance set.
    John Angier

Originally posted by jangier:
    Does anyone know how much more we will have to pay for the Pro Edition? Considering we already own the first edition and performance set.
    John Angier
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">According to the VSL site, if you just upgrade the Cube, the cost is $1090. If you upgrade the full package, the price is $2090.

Keep in mind that the present \"complete package\" is about 90GB. This update, which replaces the existing version once it ships, is somewhere around 230GB.

Later in the year, this will be followed by the Symphonic Edition the size of which is TBA (to be announced).

check the VSL site, pricing/upgrade information is there.

If you register the 1st edition and perf set you get a discount and actually \"upgrade\" to the pro edition, instead of buying the pro edition for full price.

For me personally, the first-->pro upgrade policy is not very attractive. What I find unnatractive is that you must upgrade to the full version just to get such basic things as forte legato trumpets/trombones, and marcatto ensemble brass patches.

If the first edition instruments are indeed incomplete to this extent, I feel it would be a good policy for VSL to follow to complete these instruments via free updates. Gary Garritan has shown how successful this is: when your potential clients realise that you are committed to providing a complete and rounded product, even years after the original release, people buy into the product.

For those of us that may want to do without the extended range instruments for a while (for purely economic reasons) like piccolo flute, bass clarinet, etc... It is a shame that we cannot make do with the first edition. No forte trumpet legato?

Leon [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

PS: I just posted this over on VSL too.

Leon, what you seem to forget is that there is so much more work involved with creating a new instrument for VSL than all other libraries up until now, because of the legato features, repetitions and other special articulations available. For a legato instrument for example, you will essentially have to sample the equivalent of 26 \'normal\' instruments! So I can see that you can\'t offer this enormous amount of work for free.

I wasn\'t forgetting that at all. I really do realise how many samples are involved in an interval-based instrument.

If you look at the proportion of instruments included in the 3k first edtion vs those included in the 5k final edition, I think it is a perfectly fair content/price ratio. If, of course, the instruments included in the first edition are actually complete.

I think it is always a good idea to have a scaled product range so that you will also get sales from people with less to spend. I do, however, believe the product on the less expensive end of the range should be complete: that the difference between the 3k and the PRO edition should be quantitative, and not qualitative.

So I can see that you can\'t offer this enormous amount of work for free.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can understand the immediate practical view behind this, but I don\'t think it holds. The work done wouldn\'t be for free: it would win the custom of people not willing to consider a 5k expenditure from the start. People buying VSL now have no doubt in their minds that they will purchase the upgrade. 3k-budjet people like me are put off. I am very sure it would be worth VSL\'s while to make the first edition a rounded product if it gained them a small wave of three-thousand dollar sales.

Leon

Hiya Simon!

Herb just told me on VSL that he will indeed offer the forte trumpets + trombones legati, and the extended range strings as a free upgrade. I think this is fair. I have also proposed he consider not suppressing the first edition, and keeping it with no missing patches, so as to keep competition alive in the 3k area of the market.

Leon

Go Back to forum