• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Horns Experiment

Share/Bookmark

Horns Experiment

I don't usually use a lot of brass in my songs, so i wanted to try a song that relies on it more than it does strings. It's pretty short, but any longer and I think it would officially qualify as a boring song.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122815/MySongs/orchQuicky3.mp3
    Boz Millar

Re: Horns Experiment

Nice piece, Boz. Yes, it is short. However, it seems to lend itself for further development for a longer composition. Something to consider, I guess.

Curious. . . what instrumental libraries did you use?

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I think this sounds very nice. It definitely is worthy of further development. I also would like to know what horns you used.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

I used GPO for everything except the choir, which is barely audible. I just found out about sonitina last night and liked the choirs in the demo they had. I couldn't get mine to sound the same as theirs, so I just buried it in the mix.

The brass in GPO is something I've always been impressed with. Especially the horns.
    Boz Millar

Quote Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
    I used GPO for everything except the choir, which is barely audible. I just found out about sonitina last night and liked the choirs in the demo they had. I couldn't get mine to sound the same as theirs, so I just buried it in the mix.

The brass in GPO is something I've always been impressed with. Especially the horns.
    The sound is really great. It sounds like a vocal work I wrote around 3 years ago. Would you share the exact instruments you used with the brass and strings including any overlays?
    ~Rodney

I don't have the project in front of me, so I'm going off memory here.

For the strings, for each section I have the section with each of the 3 player samples.

For horns, I use the ag overlay with 2 solo horns. Maybe 3 solo horns.

Tube I have the same thing but only 2 solo tubas.

Same with trumpets.

I didn't use any trombones on this one. I ended up splitting the horns and trumpets into 2 different parts, so maybe it would have been better to combine those and make one of those parts trombones. Maybe take one of the trumpet parts down an octave and make it trombone. I just wanted to try out the trumpets because I never use them.
    Boz Millar

Very nice brass sound. You could indeed go on and develop the theme in a larger work.

When you use a big orchestra, try to pan all the sections (and solos) in the orchestra. Now, the strings seem to be everywhere, and behind the brass sections.

A very good start indeed.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
    I don't usually use a lot of brass in my songs, so i wanted to try a song that relies on it more than it does strings. It's pretty short, but any longer and I think it would officially qualify as a boring song.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122815/MySongs/orchQuicky3.mp3
    Hi, Boz - A big A+ on the smooth, beautiful sound you've elicited from the instruments you chose. Really nice work.

I'm amused you think it could be boring to be longer - ! - This sounds to me like just the intro to a piece, a beginning, and there certainly were no signs of boredom in me as I listened. You've established a pleasant chord progression, now I think it's time to use it as the basis for a full piece. - not really a "song," by the way, but it sure is a very nice start.

Interesting that you used AG overlays in such a gentle piece. I've never tried that, thinking of "Aggressive" as only being for forte - You've inspired me to experiment also!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Very nice brass sound. You could indeed go on and develop the theme in a larger work.

When you use a big orchestra, try to pan all the sections (and solos) in the orchestra. Now, the strings seem to be everywhere, and behind the brass sections.

A very good start indeed.

Max
    Thanks for the listen. Funny you mention that. Listening now, I see what you are saying by the panning. I think the reverb I used smeared the stereo spread together. Also, I think I ended up burying the strings a bit much. In a previous mix, they stuck out more and sounded less distant. I'll have to take another pass at the mix and fix these issues.
    Boz Millar

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Boz - A big A+ on the smooth, beautiful sound you've elicited from the instruments you chose. Really nice work.

I'm amused you think it could be boring to be longer - ! - This sounds to me like just the intro to a piece, a beginning, and there certainly were no signs of boredom in me as I listened. You've established a pleasant chord progression, now I think it's time to use it as the basis for a full piece. - not really a "song," by the way, but it sure is a very nice start.

Interesting that you used AG overlays in such a gentle piece. I've never tried that, thinking of "Aggressive" as only being for forte - You've inspired me to experiment also!

Randy
    Thanks.

yeah, I feel like this would be the beginning of a song, but so far every time I've tried to move it into something else, it's been lame. Maybe I need to let it rest for a while and come back to it again.

And I love the ag brass. You can get tons of dynamics out of them with the mod wheel and cc16.
    Boz Millar

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast