• Register
  • Help

Topic: Volume difference between Instant and personal orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Volume difference between Instant and personal orchestra

I've had Garritan Personal Orchestra for a long time, and now I bought Instant Orchestra.

There's a huge difference in volume from the patches in Personal and Instant Orchestra.

The patches in Personal Orchestra is much, much louder than the patches in Instant Orchestra.

I thought it would be easy to mix the patches, but if I change a patch from Personal Orc. to Instant Orc. I have to make huge volume corrections. This happens both in Finale and Reaper.

Is that how it's supposed to be, or is there something wrong in my system ? (Windows 7)

Re: Volume difference between Instant and personal orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by stigbn View Post
    I've had Garritan Personal Orchestra for a long time, and now I bought Instant Orchestra.

There's a huge difference in volume from the patches in Personal and Instant Orchestra.

The patches in Personal Orchestra is much, much louder than the patches in Instant Orchestra.

I thought it would be easy to mix the patches, but if I change a patch from Personal Orc. to Instant Orc. I have to make huge volume corrections. This happens both in Finale and Reaper.

Is that how it's supposed to be, or is there something wrong in my system ? (Windows 7)
    Hello, Stigbn - Welcome to the Forum. It's always good to meet a fellow GPO user. I too have used it for quite awhile, since 2006, and there are members here who go back longer than that. I hope you stick around and share in the discussions here, and post some music in The Listening Room.

I have all of the Garritan Libraries, and I know what you're talking about. There are volume differences between the Library sets, and even within a given Library there will be default volumes for some instruments that don't automatically balance with others. The Bb Clarinet and the Vibrato Flute in GPO, for instance, default to levels that invariably have to be brought down. The Solo Viola in the string group is also out of proportion with the other strings. And there are other examples in GPO.

The key point is that it's unusual to be able to use the default volumes. And the volume adjustments needed for one piece won't be the same as needed for another piece. With ARIA's mixer, it's easy to find the relative balance needed, even when mixing instruments from different Libraries. In other words, it's best to think of the default settings as merely a starting point.

Important point - using Sonar as an example, since that's my primary recording program: MIDI Continuous Controller 7 controls the faders in ARIA's mixer by default. So when setting up balances, I use Sonar's faders which move ARIA's. If I directly used ARIA's faders, they would jump to where Sonar's are every time a project's playback is started. That default can be overridden, but it's easiest and best to let your host recording program be in control.

So when you set up your project using patches from GPO and some from IO, part of your project set up is in establishing the relative balance between instruments you want. Mixing patches from the various Libraries is easy when the user just gets the concept that the default levels are only meant as a starting point.

When you say "...if I change a patch from GPO to IO I have to make huge volume corrections..." are you describing a process of auditioning sounds/instruments to decide which to use in a piece? You're not talking about trying to do a patch change during the course of a piece are you?--because that doesn't work with sample based instruments. All the instruments you want to use need to be loaded in as many instances of ARIA that takes before playback starts.

I want to add - these aren't "volume corrections" you're needing to do. You're just mixing your project, which is always part of the project.

And, of course, besides the relative potential volumes set with CC7, most Garritan patches have their performance volumes controlled by CC1, CC1, or CC2--those three are interchangeable. Those performance volume levels also have default levels which are way under the full volume level of 127.

Randy

Thank you!

And no, was not talking about trying to do a patch change during the course of a piece.

I just wanted to know if it was correct that the levels were very different, so I guess I'll just get used to mixing the levels.

The problem is mostly in Finale. If you have started a composition with many Personal Orc. patches, it's very difficult mix in a new patch from Instant orchestra. I think you need to use separate aria instances for personal and instant orchestra patches - so you can turn the instance/-s with personal patches down compared to the aria instance with instant-patches. The reason is that you can't turn up the volume of instant paches enough to match the personal patches (I'm sorry if my english is bad here).

In Reaper - which I use as DAW - it's much easier to control volumes.

Hello again, Stigbn

There are some Finale "power users" here in the group who can help you with details if needed. I work primarily in Sonar, which is DAW software, using notation only for print outs when I need them. So I defer to the Finale users when it comes to working in that program. I hope some of those folks see this conversation thread and give you some tips.

But you're very correct, that dealing with things like volume control are much more straight forward and easy in a program like Reaper, because DAW programs are primarily designed for sound production, and notation programs are primarily designed for making good looking scores.

Just remember that when you open up the user interface for ARIA, there's a mixer there which needs to be controlled for the balance between sounds. You don't need separate instances for volume control - The volume faders just need to be at very different levels for IO patches compared to GPO patches.

Stand by for help from Finale experts.

Randy

Go Back to forum