• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recorders, anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Recorders, anyone?

Here\'s a first short demo made using some recorder samples that I\'m currently working on.
    The piece is written by Stefan Kristinsson.
    The full collection will have Sopran, Sopranini, Alt and Tenor flutes.
    This demo features the Alt recorder.
    Comments, good or bad, are as always welcome, (as long as they are construcive.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    Alt Recorder Demo 1

(reverb added, that\'s all)

Re: Recorders, anyone?

Interesting! Havent seen a lot of good recorder samples available, so I am glad you took the plunge Per If you ever need to score a Robin Hood movie I guess you need recorders!.. Will check this out later

Sounds great!! How many different/sizes are you doing??

Early Patches also has some nice Recorders and other Medieval and Renaissance instruments.

Love the sound, Worra, but I have to agree that the reverb sonds hokey (I guess medieval digital reverbs were pretty primitive! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

I would like a bass recorder - the longest, deepest one you can find-although I will probably buy this anyway...

Also sackbutts, crumhorn, etc. I\'m not impressed with the demos I\'ve heard from the Early Instruments collection.

Dasher

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    Hi Worra,

Never run out of ideas of what to sample?

I like it. Are the runs individual runs or are they played....they are good. I\'m not sure if I like the verb....I would like to hear the recorder w/o it. Also I might be able to use a recorder in a faster setting also so another demo in a more lively setting would be nice.......all in all thumbs up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Sharmy.
    Actually, I haven\'t started with the more wierd ideas yet... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (cats & dogs, anyone...???).
    There are no runs recoded, what you hear are played, there are no runs sampled. I\'ve made a special legato patch where the player used portato, that is, started with one note, and then playing a new note by adding a finger but without a new attack. I\'ve then edited the sample so that only the second note is left, if you use this patch you can make quite convinsing drills and runs.
    I\'ve replaced the old demo with a new one that uses another verb, please D/L again with the link from my first post.
    More demos to come.....

Originally posted by iskandar:
    Worra the savior once again. There is a large number of people who would love medieval/ renaissance period samples of cornetts, sackbutts,crumhorns,gemshorns,shawms, tabors on and on and on. Go for it MARK
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He, he.... thanx! I see what I can dig up! This flutist actually had a collection of baroque recorders, maybe I should record those to?

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Love the sound, Worra, but I have to agree that the reverb sonds hokey (I guess medieval digital reverbs were pretty primitive! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

I would like a bass recorder - the longest, deepest one you can find-although I will probably buy this anyway...

Also sackbutts, crumhorn, etc. I\'m not impressed with the demos I\'ve heard from the Early Instruments collection.

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yep, the verb wasn\'t a good one, so I replaced it, please D/L again. I\'ll record a bass recorder and add it to the collection.

Hi all,

I hope you like the composition even though it\'s a slow aria.

I\'m working on a faster piece which uses all members of the Worra\'s recorder choir.

Without having heard the demo I\'d like to ask if the samples were chromatically recorded. My limited experience with recorders is that accidentals sound quite different from the white notes, due to the way they are fingered. It\'s an effect you would lose by simple pitch shifting to get sharps and flats. Since realism seems to be important to this group I thought I\'d bring it up.

Steve Chandler

Well, as long as we\'re asking for the moon here:

Unlike Dasher, I rather like the Early Patches samples. And a few months ago I discovered that a company called Northstar Productions in Oregon offers an Akai library called Ancient Worlds, that includes a whole consort of recorders (not only bass but great bass), crumhorns, rackets, sackbuts, and even a vielle.

Then there\'s the baroque and renaissance lutes and renaissance guitar from Bolder.

So for now my cup runneth over as regards recorders. But if you\'re an early music nut, as I am, there can never be enough of these libraries.

What I would like to have next is a whole consort of viols.

(BTW, one silver lining in the XSample solo strings is that they\'re recorded without vibrato, which makes them good for 16th-17th century violin band music.)

I would also like to have lutes recorded chromatically and with less nail attack than the Bolder ones (good as the Bolder ones are).

Oksi

This is great! I\'ve been looking for a good set of recorder samples. Have you sampled different articulation intensities? I know that the recorder has a limited dynamics range, but there is a distinctly different chiff resulting from hard and soft tonguing. It would be nice to have a full range of short attack samples that one could layer. Also there are pure legato attacks, as mentioned. If it includes a full recorder set( with bass ) and has different attack strengths I\'ll for sure be a customer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Duncan

Go Back to forum