• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Complete "Hymn" from the Requiem "In Remembrance" (LIVE, GPO4, and IO)

Share/Bookmark

The Complete "Hymn" from the Requiem "In Remembrance" (LIVE, GPO4, and IO)

These past 3 days for me have been quite adventurous both compositionally and audio editing speaking. With the help of my friends on this wonderful forum I was able to solve a voicing issue that has plagued me for years. Now I present to you the entire theme called “Hymn” which is from the 2nd movement of my requiem “In Remembrance.” It is a mixture of live performances, Instant Orchestra, and GPO4, but the process was similar to performing surgery with a hacksaw. This was a crude experiment which I cannot recommend. I believe it was only by the grace of God that the music came out somewhat convincible. First I had the live performance, and then I composed the missing passages in Finale. Next, I created an audio file and bounced both the live and Finale audio file into Audacity. After many episodes of cut and paste, trial and error, I saved it as a MP3, turned the score into a PDF and finally once again I ask for your opinions.

Should this stay for brass? Or would you score the work for band or orchestra instead? I am also thinking of adding more percussion especially in the Andante section when the work moves a little faster. I would love to hear your thoughts. This part of the requiem is in memory of my grandfather the Reverend Walter R. Burgess. Since he was a pastor his entire life I composed the work with the number 7 in mind which tends to be considered by most a sacred number. For example, the hymn is exactly 77 measures long, both the intro and ending are 14 measures long, and the work itself is almost 7 minutes depending on the performance. Thank you for listening and commenting once again.

Score:https://www.box.com/s/bmnlkotcon4mj4v2mp1p
    MP3: https://www.box.com/s/85vbqroz1azj92hngarp
    ~Rodney

Re: The Complete "Hymn" from the Requiem "In Remembrance" (LIVE, GPO4, and IO)

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    These past 3 days for me have been quite adventurous both compositionally and audio editing speaking. With the help of my friends on this wonderful forum I was able to solve a voicing issue that has plagued me for years. Now I present to you the entire theme called “Hymn” which is from the 2nd movement of my requiem “In Remembrance.” It is a mixture of live performances, Instant Orchestra, and GPO4, but the process was similar to performing surgery with a hacksaw. This was a crude experiment which I cannot recommend. I believe it was only by the grace of God that the music came out somewhat convincible. First I had the live performance, and then I composed the missing passages in Finale. Next, I created an audio file and bounced both the live and Finale audio file into Audacity. After many episodes of cut and paste, trial and error, I saved it as a MP3, turned the score into a PDF and finally once again I ask for your opinions.

Should this stay for brass? Or would you score the work for band or orchestra instead? I am also thinking of adding more percussion especially in the Andante section when the work moves a little faster. I would love to hear your thoughts. This part of the requiem is in memory of my grandfather the Reverend Walter R. Burgess. Since he was a pastor his entire life I composed the work with the number 7 in mind which tends to be considered by most a sacred number. For example, the hymn is exactly 77 measures long, both the intro and ending are 14 measures long, and the work itself is almost 7 minutes depending on the performance. Thank you for listening and commenting once again.

Score:https://www.box.com/s/bmnlkotcon4mj4v2mp1p
    MP3: https://www.box.com/s/85vbqroz1azj92hngarp
    ~Rodney
    Hello Rodney:

My first question is: are you , an organist?
    Your composition is beautifull. While you are asking for suggestions, I can not do it, beacuse this is how you made this piece, it is great, leave it as it is, you are thew composer ( and a good one).
    Thanks for the posting,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Rodney:

Your composition is beautifull. While you are asking for suggestions, I can not do it, beacuse this is how you made this piece, it is great, leave it as it is, you are thew composer ( and a good one).
    Thanks for the posting,

Ted
    Organist! How cool! Before I answer the question can I ask why do you think I am an organist?
    ~Rodney

Hi Rodney,

This is a terrific piece, well composed and with a very good orchestral sound. Should you stay with the band? If you have a decent brass ensemble with good players (who master all the fine dynamic nuances and with a pure intonation), you should go for that option. However, the express all the emotions in the music, a full wind band (woodwinds, brass and percussion) could be helpful. But this version shows that brass can be a more than satisfying solution.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

It's nice to hear this again, Rodney. I've always enjoyed it's unabashed, direct boldness.

Quite a clip you put together, from all the different sound sources! You turned out a very good demo.

I like Ted's response, "...While you are asking for suggestions, I can not do it, because this is how you made this piece...you are the composer..." That's right - I don't think we can get anything but suggestions on how other people would work on a piece, and as interesting as those ideas might be, they don't have anything to do with us, and what we've done.

But - Since input seems to be the main reason for your post, I'll go ahead and agree with what Max said about how a full wind band may work best for this. The greater variety of sound could be good, since the piece is repetitive in its first half, and in this present recording, we keep hearing it several times with just the brass - which is fine, but having a larger instrumentation might bring more drama to the repeated motif.

Randy

Holy mackerel, Rodney--this is great brass writing.

Do you imagine this as a concert band/wind ensemble piece? An orchestral work? You are really the only one who can say what the orchestration should be for your work. I did, however, imagine other colors in there from winds and percussion, so I can see where you might be coming from in asking. My own leanings--full symphonic band.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Rodney, I am moved to tears. Truly a remarkable work of genius. I have a friend who is the arranger for The Marine Band (the President's Own!) He would love to get his hands on this one. I can hear it being played in Arlington National Cemetery. Oh yes, a full band arrangement of this would be outstanding. I am humbled by this piece. I thought I knew how to compose, but after this I know I am just a humble apprentice.

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!

Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I have to agree with everyone on this it is a spectacular piece of music. I personally believe that it doesn't need too much just added percussion in places to give a little more impact, but besides that it is simply.... wonderful. Bravo Sir. Bravo.

~Joseph

Great work Rodney!

It's quite emotive and of course it will have a much bigger impact performed live.

I was wanting to hear some woodwinds at a certain point to make their statement also.

Maybe you could create two arrangements. One for brass and percussion(brass bands) and another with the inclusion of woodwinds.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Rodney:

Thanks for the posting,

Ted
    I don’t know if I am an organist or not to be honest with you. Whenever I want to learn to compose for a certain instrument I simply enlist in one of my friends to teach me about their instrument. If I want to write for alto saxophone I ask a saxophonist, if I want to compose a part for djembe I ask a percussionist who specializes in African instruments and culture. Concerning the organ, I spent two weekends with a friend learning the organ by hearing them play while I read the sheet music, asking questions, and composing examples for them to try out. Then I got to spend as much time as I wanted experimenting with the pipe organ in the church all alone for as long as I wanted. I got to see the pipes and how they worked. I even got to help tune part of the organ that needed it. So by the end of the weekends I could have probably tricked you in thinking that I played the organ. Thank you for taking a listen Ted!

~Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast