• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Three Dances For Flutes

Share/Bookmark

Three Dances For Flutes

I just wanted to let everyone know that this piece was selected to be performed by the Greater Cleveland Flute Society on April 21, 2013.

It was originally written as a clarinet trio but I altered it and did some more work on it so that it would work as a flute ensemble. I was excited to find out that the ensemble really liked the piece and are planning on performing it. There is nothing more thrilling than hearing your work performed by REAL musicians.

Here are the links to the pieces in case you would like to hear the GPO version I presented to the commitee.

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 1)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 2)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 3)

Enjoy the music!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Three Dances For Flutes

Nice! I like it better a a flute piece.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this piece was selected to be performed by the Greater Cleveland Flute Society on April 21, 2013.

It was originally written as a clarinet trio but I altered it and did some more work on it so that it would work as a flute ensemble. I was excited to find out that the ensemble really liked the piece and are planning on performing it. There is nothing more thrilling than hearing your work performed by REAL musicians.

Here are the links to the pieces in case you would like to hear the GPO version I presented to the commitee.

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 1)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 2)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 3)

Enjoy the music!
    Great job and you are so correct! There is nothing more thrilling.

Hi Richard,

Absolutely wonderful! I enjoyed the three pieces equally. They show a great maturity in flute composing. (I'm a flute player myself) and I really appreciate every effort to compose for that loverly instrument. It's just a nice extra for players and audience when performed in a well balanced trio. Good recordings!

I sincerely hope we will hear the live version one day!

Max

Rich! A nice piece of music. Every now and again, I got a little lost, time wise, on the first movement. It is probably just me though, but I think that if something is to be called a DANCE, it should be pretty clear as to where to the time is. I do not mean this as a criticism but rather an observation. I think your flute writing is good and this was a pleasant listen. Bravo for having live musicians choosing to play this. That is a thrill to say the least.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this piece was selected to be performed by the Greater Cleveland Flute Society on April 21, 2013...
    Rich, hearty congratulations on the gig with your gigue!--and minuet, and Latin dance. What fun pieces, and you demoed them very well to the Flute Society - I can understand their enthusiasm. Wonderful - Thanks for letting us know about the concert, and for giving us this virtual performance. Applause!

Randy

Thanks Bill and composingatnight. The piece really does work well for flutes and it is a great feeling to hear your work performed live.

Max,
    They show a great maturity in flute composing. (I'm a flute player myself) and I really appreciate every effort to compose for that loverly instrument
    What a nice compliment, thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the work. I will be receiving a CD of the performance and hopefully it will be okay with the Society to allow me to put it here on the forum so you can compare it to the GPO version.

Jay,
    I got a little lost, time wise, on the first movement. It is probably just me though, but I think that if something is to be called a DANCE, it should be pretty clear as to where to the time is.
    Thanks for listening and making a comment. You are right and I did take some liberties with the dance in the first and third movements.

In the first movement there are a couple of places where I added rubato and a quasi cadenza. I do believe dancers put emotion into their dances and some flourish. I was just trying to emulate that.

The third movement changes dance styles completely with a fast gigue with a slow interlude sandwiched in the middle.

So maybe the piece should be titled "Three Dance-like Pieces for Flutes".

Anyway, I am glad you listened to them and made some good comments about the piece.

Randy,
    hearty congratulations on the gig with your gigue!--and minuet, and Latin dance
    Thanks for the punster, Neat! I appreciate you taking the time to listen.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

This piece works very well for flutes, and congratulations on the performance in April! I can hear it also for clarinets, and even though I can't compare what you did to adapt it to flutes, I think in its present form, it works better for flutes. Hearing this live will, as others have said, be thrilling.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Richard -

This is a beautiful work, Rich! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen. I also wish to congratulate you on having this set of compositions performed by real-live musicians! As you've said in your original post:

There is nothing more thrilling than hearing your work performed by REAL musicians.
    What would be nice is to hear live recording of this work being performed. Would it be possible to share such a recording??

Thanks for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Rich,

This is very good work. I can hear why the Greater Cleveland Flute Society would want to perform this flute piece.

I think it's great that they are performing a living composer's music and a composer in their area. Pretty cool!

While I was listening I checked out their web site. The contrabass flute looked awesome.

Enjoy the performance. I wish I could be there.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast