• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Topic: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    In the world of Garritan which are you favorite sounds in the libraries that are now available? Is it a solo instrument in GPO4, some kind of combination or mixture found in IO, something cool in JABB, some unlocked potential in COMB2, or is there secretly a sound you just love but most of us have overlooked?
    ~Rodney

  2. #2

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    What a great question, Rodney! I have a few favorites in GPO4. I love using the Solo Flute with vibrato. It is such fun! When I was a choir director couple years ago I used to write for a flute player. I could always tell when I wrote a part out using GPO4's Solo Flute that, when she would later play the part, it would sound almost exactly the same as what I heard from GPO4! I also love using the Solo Oboe with vibrato. What a wonderful sounding instrument! French Horn as well (my instrument!)! That's probably why, when you listen to the arrangements I've done, especially for the past Christmas CD's, you will hear those instruments used regularly.

    In JABB, I really enjoy the Flugelhorn. Adding just a touch of vibrato really gives it a sense of realism. Oh, almost forgot the Trombone 1. My favorite section in the piece I submitted for the 2012 Christmas CD was honestly writing the trombone part and doing my best to make it sound like you were listening to a live player. I think I got pretty close. In any case, I love Trombone 1 in JABB, Wonderful instrument!

    Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

    Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

  3. #3

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    GPO: woodwinds
    JABB: sax, guitar (I don't have this lib anymore, but this is what I remember)
    ORGAN: of course the church/concert organ (don't have it yet)

    Raymond

  4. #4

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    GPO: woodwinds
    JABB: sax, guitar (I don't have this lib anymore, but this is what I remember)
    ORGAN: of course the church/concert organ (don't have it yet)

    Raymond
    Raymond, you have East West sounds also correct? How does GPO woodwinds compare with them if I can ask?
    ~Rodney

  5. #5

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    What a great question, Rodney! I have a few favorites in GPO4. I love using the Solo Flute with vibrato. It is such fun! When I was a choir director couple years ago I used to write for a flute player. I could always tell when I wrote a part out using GPO4's Solo Flute that, when she would later play the part, it would sound almost exactly the same as what I heard from GPO4! I also love using the Solo Oboe with vibrato. What a wonderful sounding instrument! French Horn as well (my instrument!)! That's probably why, when you listen to the arrangements I've done, especially for the past Christmas CD's, you will hear those instruments used regularly.

    In JABB, I really enjoy the Flugelhorn. Adding just a touch of vibrato really gives it a sense of realism. Oh, almost forgot the Trombone 1. My favorite section in the piece I submitted for the 2012 Christmas CD was honestly writing the trombone part and doing my best to make it sound like you were listening to a live player. I think I got pretty close. In any case, I love Trombone 1 in JABB, Wonderful instrument!

    Gary
    Ah yes, the flute solo with vib. was one of the first sounds I noticed when I got GPO4. I know way too many flute players and that sample alone sounds better than 70% of them, LOL. It is a very inspiring and expressive tool helping
    any work sound more live.

    I would love to hear the flugelhorn sample. It's one of my favorite instruments, but I fear that I may be too picky because so many trumpet players simply sound like a mellow trumpet when they play it. The flugelhorn is an instrument in itself and should be blown more like a horn and euphonium than a trumpet or trombone. I've composed works for solo flugeldoogles in the past and each time they were perfomred I just love the sound of the horn. Is the JABB sound bright or more mellow?
    ~Rodney

  6. #6

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    My Favorite Garritan instruments. . . are many.

    Pretty much most of the wood-winds. LOVE the flute solo, English Horn solo, etc. I really like the Steinway Jazz Piano found in JABB. I also like JABB's drums. However, I find myself needing to "practice" using them because they're not necessarily "GM Standard" drums. Also from JABB, I like the trumpet and trombone KS instruments, and the Saxs with doublings. Back to GPO, I love the solo violin 1 KS. I also love the Basic Orchestral Percussion and being able to do drum and cymbal rolls with via modulation. In fact, I wish Garritan would put out more percussion that uses expressive rolls (for the drums and cymbals) using the modulation wheel. This is going on my 9th year using Garritan products. I still think that they just wonderful and very usable today.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

  7. #7

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    My Favorite Garritan instruments. . . are many.

    Pretty much most of the wood-winds. LOVE the flute solo, English Horn solo, etc. I really like the Steinway Jazz Piano found in JABB. I also like JABB's drums. However, I find myself needing to "practice" using them because they're not necessarily "GM Standard" drums. Also from JABB, I like the trumpet and trombone KS instruments, and the Saxs with doublings. Back to GPO, I love the solo violin 1 KS. I also love the Basic Orchestral Percussion and being able to do drum and cymbal rolls with via modulation. In fact, I wish Garritan would put out more percussion that uses expressive rolls (for the drums and cymbals) using the modulation wheel. This is going on my 9th year using Garritan products. I still think that they just wonderful and very usable today.
    Wow 9 years with Garritan! That beats my measly 1 year, hehe. You might of just came up with a new library: Garritan Percussion (GP.) I would love to hear an expressive suspended cym. roll or an majestic and power tam tam/ gong roll. That would be awesome.

    The English Horn brought back memories. The very first thing I ever composed using Garritan featured a solo E.H. That's a very expressive sample. I love the fact that you like the solo violin 1 ks. So many people beat up the strings in Garritan and then I play that sample and I say to myself, "Am I missing something here. It sounds fine to me."
    Maybe they are talking about full string sounds though.
    ~Rodney

  8. #8

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    My favorite is the Lyon & Healy Harp inside Garritan Harps. Although.. I'm biased I just got done working on it!

  9. #9

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    My favorite is the Lyon & Healy Harp inside Garritan Harps. Although.. I'm biased I just got done working on it!
    You mean there is more than one kind of harp in this world? Hehe. This is great. You can be the forum's first Garritan harp piece.
    ~Rodney

  10. #10

    Re: What are the Best Sounds in Garritan?

    A couple of disclaimers: First, my choices are highly subjective. Second, I'm still using the Kontakt versions of GPO and JABB with Sonar 6. (For reasons I won't get into, I simply don't have the time or funds to upgrade anytime soon).

    That said, in GPO, I like the harps. They're the best thing in it. Many of the organ patches and the harpsichords are very useful, too. The French Horns aren't bad, especially in ensembles. Ditto for the solo strings, especially the violins.

    In JABB, I like the first flugelhorn and all the trumpets and trombones. I prefer JABB brass to that of GPO, with the possible exception of the tubas (which sound good in both libraries). I love the fact that so many mutes are provided (though I wish there were more). The accoustic basses are surprisingly good, too. IMHO, the saxes aren't ready for prime time.

    I occassionally raid the drums and percussion libraries of both JABB & GPO (especially the brush kits in the former).

    Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •