• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Quietly the Storm Comes

Share/Bookmark

Quietly the Storm Comes

Here is a piece straight from Finale using the Garritan Instruments for Finale called:

Quietly Comes the Storm

It is for small chamber orchestra:

2 Flutes
    1 Oboe
    1 Clarinet
    1 Bassoon
    2 1st Violins
    1 2nd Violin
    2 Viola
    1 Cello
    1 Dbl Bass

I need to expand it a bit more (lengthen the piece in time) but I thought I'd share it with the community as it is right now.

Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Quietly the Storm Comes

Hi Bill,

This is sooo nice. I was disappointed that it stopped! Somehow (probably mislead by the title) it reminds me of Beethoven's 6th. (A quiet pleasant atmosphere, a rural dance, and then billing up to a ferocious storm...) Your rather strange ensemble functions particularly well due to your orchestrating talent. I love the rendering and the delicate balance. You managed producing a superior instrumental sound (which is not simple with solo strings). You should be rewarded by G. Garritan for such a lovely publicity.

Max

I wish I had something more profound to say other than that was really nice...but that was really nice. I would like to understand the harmonic language you are using. Is there a score available by chance.

Wow, this piece has a really nice calming, melodic quality. Impressive arrangement.

This sounds nice to me Bill. I especially liked the quiet beginning. It made me think of a precursor to a storm. I did expect a little more drama in the middle of the piece, assuming that it was the time for the storm. I am amazed that you were able to get this sound going directly from FINALE.
    Nice post. Jay

Max- Thanks for the kind words. The quiet beginning builds to a slightly chaotic dance which is released back to the quiet. A Beethoven I am not, but I appreciate the comparison. The instrumentation is from a group in Tampa, Fl. Maybe they will select this piece for performance. Thank you, again.

RichardMc - Thank you for the listen. I don't really base much of my music on a "harmonic" structure. I layer sound and get a structure from the layers. This piece started with the descending cello line and a melody I created above that line. I work with quartel harmony (harmony based on the fourth instead of the third). I will be glad to post a 'partial' score for you to look at if that is alright? Thanks again.

Randy - Yes, I like its 'delicate nature' (Japanese) also. Thanks for the listen.

Chandler - Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the softer side of my writing.

Jay - I'm glad you enjoyed the work. I am writing for High School students, so I decided not to take the piece to extremes. The middle is like a Celtic dance, very modal and rhythmic. Yes, Finale, if tweaked correctly, can do well in representing the sound. Someone (maybe it was you) posted the ambience settings they use to create a natural sound in Finale. They work well.

All, thanks for stopping by and listening.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill, this is great. To say: let the storm come!! Hey, suddenly it ends, while I am getting in the mood, more and more.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Bill, this is great. To say: let the storm come!! Hey, suddenly it ends, while I am getting in the mood, more and more.

Raymond

Thanks Raymond, I have expanded it to a length of 5' 10" . It is a wonderful mood piece - one of more romantic renderings.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Yes a partial score would be great. I have worked with quartel harmony on the guitar, which is my native instrument, but have never consciously used it in my own compositions. Thanks.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast